• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are you guys finding it harder and harder to actually talk to a customer?

gabagoo

I understand with large corp'ns, that trying to track an individual down can be quite exhausting, but I now find this seems to be a trend with smaller companies as well. Nobody wants to pick up a phone!!! I find that emailing can be such a slow process when you are trying to keep your production schedule on track. Simple questions get ignored in emails, or it takes far too long for them to get back to you.

Perfect case in point.... Get an email from a regular customer requiring a 4 X 4 coro sign, rush naturally......simple directional copy for a construction project. Somebody picks it up on Friday and says that they should have ordered 2. I told him no problem, I will call and get the OK and it would be ready Monday morning for pickup

I call but get voice mail so decide to email. Wait an hour and then I get a thank you I screwed up reply Yes Monday morning would be great response....

I change a small portion of my Friday afternoon to get it done.

Monday morning no one shows up. I decide to call...I go through the most insane automated operator and I hit just about every extension to find anybody...NOTHING!!!. I hang up and say F&^%& it. The girl who normally emails me is on holidays, so I keep getting a vacation alert email back.... Today is Friday...sign still sitting here.......

This is just one of so many customers that refuse to talk on the phone. Email is great, but not when I need answers fast. There really is no excuse to make communication so hard. I answer the phone when it rings and if I can't get to it or on another line I pick up the messages and I get back to them asap, or at least try to.

Just my Friday morning rant....

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Communication is dead. Everyone uses the cop out of " Oh, I emailed you, you must not have got it." BS. Email doesn't have a 50/50 chance of arriving in your mailbox. Either you sent it or you didn't, unless you typed the email address wrong, which 99.5% of the time, you will get a response saying so. When someone says this, I say "well forward what is in your sent folder". Never do get that forwarded email. Just a new one.

dypinc

With the economic damage the last POS POTUS did to most businesses almost everyone cut back. Can't afford to hire someone just to answer the phone anymore or constantly stop what your doing to answer it. With the economic boom this year and the tax cuts coming maybe things will change back to more the way it used to be. But then again we have gotten used to using our PDAs, so maybe not.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I think part of the problem is that most people don't interact with real people socially, so why do when they're at work? I agree, it's really annoying as I deal with the problem too. Also, those automated phone systems are a PITA and part of the reason I don't make calls to certain companies unless I have a mobile number.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
While I can relate to your frustration I am the opposite. A phone call stops me from doing what I am doing and takes up way more time than someone just sending me an email. I can respond to 3 emails in the time it takes for a phone call to end and I can be more precise about how I word things. Also it keeps a paper trail of conversations so I don't have to remember as much. It probably has something to do with most of my emails are about tech support and not sales. I do agree with you however on the fact that you can email someone with 3 questions and they will only answer the first one. So frustrating!

TimToad

With the economic damage the last POS POTUS did to most businesses almost everyone cut back. Can't afford to hire someone just to answer the phone anymore or constantly stop what your doing to answer it. With the economic boom this year and the tax cuts coming maybe things will change back to more the way it used to be. But then again we have gotten used to using our PDAs, so maybe not.

Yeah, that saving the global economy from a catastrophic collapse stuff was such a detriment to business, especially the stock market. Reducing unemployment, saving the auto and all of its related industries, carving a path to rebuilding consumer confidence to the levels it is currently at, seeing the first rises in income across all tax brackets in decades, lowering interest rates to spur business and personal investment, etc. are just some of the major accomplishments the last president has earned. A person's bias, singular experience or anecdotal evidence doesn't negate facts and statistical proof.

Businesses cut back on unneeded workers to save money and streamline their operations and maximize efficiency.

Ten to twenty years from now when the roads are full of driverless cars and trucks, which president will you falsely blame for that development?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Yeah, that saving the global economy from a catastrophic collapse stuff was such a detriment to business, especially the stock market. Reducing unemployment, saving the auto and all of its related industries, carving a path to rebuilding consumer confidence to the levels it is currently at, seeing the first rises in income across all tax brackets in decades, lowering interest rates to spur business and personal investment, etc. are just some of the major accomplishments the last president has earned. A person's bias, singular experience or anecdotal evidence doesn't negate facts and statistical proof.

Businesses cut back on unneeded workers to save money and streamline their operations and maximize efficiency.

Ten to twenty years from now when the roads are full of driverless cars and trucks, which president will you falsely blame for that development?

Sounds like some typical liberal dummy rant! We'll see who's laughing last. Just because trickle down economics hasn't worked the last two times we tried it and actually made everything worse doesn't mean it's going to happen again!

/sarcasm

CanuckSigns

Wow, it only took 3 posts into a thread about people not answering their phone for someone to turn it political and blame Obama. This left vs. right bullshit is the biggest issue going on right now, no one sees anyone as a person anymore, just a rebublican or a democrat, the divisive nature of this us vs. them thinking is the reason why nothing gets done in politics or in general anymore.

AKwrapguy

One of my part time jobs is a on-air dj for a local rock station. The number of people that lack the ability to properly talk on the phone is astounding. Simple etiquette and manners is is simply lost to a lot of people. Being a rock station luckily I'm allowed to be kind of a dick so it works out well.

WildWestDesigns

While I can relate to your frustration I am the opposite. A phone call stops me from doing what I am doing and takes up way more time than someone just sending me an email. I can respond to 3 emails in the time it takes for a phone call to end and I can be more precise about how I word things. Also it keeps a paper trail of conversations so I don't have to remember as much.

This pretty much is my feelings on the subject. Far more efficient for me to do everything via email, then it is to answer the phone. I also like the paper trail on everything. I have some customers that even though they can't remember worth squat, they will be very forceful that they are remembering it correctly.

I do agree with you however on the fact that you can email someone with 3 questions and they will only answer the first one. So frustrating!

I started formating my emails differently when that started happening with some customers. Now, occasionally a time or two, something will slip through, but for the most apart it has helped.

Johnny Best

I don't know how you do your billing but just charge them for two signs and make a .pdf bill and email to them. They will respond to that and if they don't well you made your signs and got paid for them. Everything is good.
If I did not hear from them or can't get a hold of them, would just throw the sign in the back of my truck and deliver it.
It's all Janet Yellen and Alan Greenspan's fault that nobody got back in touch with gabagoo!

doublesigndude

I find texting proofs, quotes & confirmations to be the most convenient for most parties involved anymore. Everyone from myself, my best customers (corporate & the small guy) have their phones with them nonstop. If they leave the office they have instant access & more times than not reply within 5-10 minutes. If I'm needing a paper trail for confirmation I screen shot it & include it with the paperwork/work order. Instant gratification drive thru mentality we're all dealing with and unfortunately guilty of. Sometimes I feel we should have a drive up window, speak into the little box & pull up and we'll have you're sign/decal/banner ready at window #2.

I used to enjoy talking & interacting with customers, getting to know them more, asking about their families or hobbies, upcoming events in their lives. You build the relationships and you become 'that guy' that everyone goes to for everything, with out a second thought. After bending over backwards for whomever for so many years it's become expected & not appreciated. Now & again it's nice to come through in a pinch due to the fact that a customer overlooked a time frame in which they've needed whatever their needing for an event, sale or project. Now we're expected to turn water into wine & at a discounted internet price every other job or project.

As far as them needing it right away & you knocking it out & then it sits there for a week or two, that sounds about par for the course as well. Funny thing is if you don't get it done right away they seem to show up and are waiting for it. Oh well. It's not so much the destination anymore but the journey, it's been somewhat favorable the past 25+ years. I enjoy the business, learning more everyday & seeing the industry as a whole evolve as it has. Getting out of bed wanting to be better than I was yesterday still keeps

CanuckSigns

I find texting proofs, quotes & confirmations to be the most convenient for most parties involved anymore. Everyone from myself, my best customers (corporate & the small guy) have their phones with them nonstop. If they leave the office they have instant access & more times than not reply within 5-10 minutes. If I'm needing a paper trail for confirmation I screen shot it & include it with the paperwork/work order. Instant gratification drive thru mentality we're all dealing with and unfortunately guilty of. Sometimes I feel we should have a drive up window, speak into the little box & pull up and we'll have you're sign/decal/banner ready at window #2.

I used to enjoy talking & interacting with customers, getting to know them more, asking about their families or hobbies, upcoming events in their lives. You build the relationships and you become 'that guy' that everyone goes to for everything, with out a second thought. After bending over backwards for whomever for so many years it's become expected & not appreciated. Now & again it's nice to come through in a pinch due to the fact that a customer overlooked a time frame in which they've needed whatever their needing for an event, sale or project. Now we're expected to turn water into wine & at a discounted internet price every other job or project.

As far as them needing it right away & you knocking it out & then it sits there for a week or two, that sounds about par for the course as well. Funny thing is if you don't get it done right away they seem to show up and are waiting for it. Oh well. It's not so much the destination anymore but the journey, it's been somewhat favorable the past 25+ years. I enjoy the business, learning more everyday & seeing the industry as a whole evolve as it has. Getting out of bed wanting to be better than I was yesterday still keeps

Having your customers text you opens up a big can of worms, unless you have a dedicated work phone that you leave at the shop when you go home they will be calling/texting you at any time day or night.

We have one client who somehow got my cell number, she texts me constantly on the weekend whenever a thought pops into her head, i'm out with my family on a sunday and I'll get 2-3 texts from her asking for status updates etc.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I prefer email or text unless it's an emergency. I can articulate words better that way, sometimes I sound stupid on the phone when talking to new people.

Chasez

We have one client who somehow got my cell number, she texts me constantly on the weekend whenever a thought pops into her head, i'm out with my family on a sunday and I'll get 2-3 texts from her asking for status updates etc.

Ignore :p I wouldn't even bother responding... eventually they will get the picture that you will read/respond during business hours and they will just have to wait. Obviously it would be dependent on your business and the client.. for us it would be an ignore.

Chaz

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The main reason for all this lack of respect for another person's personal life is largely due.... these people don't know any better and don't know how to behave in the business world. The business world is overflowing with the most impatient pompous a$$es to date..... and we created it.
  • Can you really call your doctor at home about a head cold and have him tell you what pills to take ??
  • Can you call your auto mechanic while he's out to dinner with his family Sunday night about a hissing sound in your glove compartment ??
  • Is it even possible to call the dry cleaner guy about a coat you need to have cleaned and pressed by 8am tomorrow and it's 10pm tonight ??
  • Can you ever get a hold of your kids when you need to talk to them ?? See, they know the routine.
Before all of this high-tech communications were around, people hadda plan better or get out and use a pay phone. Remember what they were ?? Published hours are 8:30 to 5pm and after that, leave a message. If ya can't wait, call Slick Willy, down the street, for your pressing needs.

Last edited:

equippaint

We get the hurry up and wait scenario all of the time. It all pays the same and I don't really care. Ill even stay a little late for that got to have it pickup that never shows up and could care less. They get billed whether they show up or not.
As far a communication, I think a mix is the best. Electronic is too impersonal to establish a good relationship and strictly face to face or over the phone leaves a lot to be forgotten. I lean towards the phone over email usually.