• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arizona law and signmakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve C.

I was thinking about the Arizona Law that is in the news, concerning gay weddings,
bakers, photographers and such. Would this law compel a sign maker to make a sign
for a gay bar? Or even a strip club that you might be offended by? For the record,
I have done signs for strip clubs and xxx video smut stores. But I often feel a little
sleezy after doing so. What are your thoughts about this law, without being too
political? I understand both sides of this argument, but I think I should be allowed to
refuse business from anyone for any reason. Discrimination?

Steve Tanner

price dictates market

if you are uncomfortable with doing
business with anyone in particular quote them a
much higher price than normal. They will then go to to
another vendor
Steve Tanner

Mosh

I do lots of work for our local strip club.... I get V.I.P. treatment in there because of it!
They are good customers, always pay in cash.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Steve, I agree with you 110%.

We've built our business with our own hands and sweat, tough times, good times, foul weather and bad paying customers. Are these lawmakers gonna step in and protect me if I get a bad egg who doesn't want to pay me ?? Nope.

Between my wife and I, we've made some serious and tough decisions in our life and as long as I pay my bills, taxes, employees and the other millions of freeloaders on my payroll [welfare and whatever] who the heck are they to suddenly tell me what and how to do it ??

This is not a political issue. It's about people stealing what is mine and I'm supposed to look the other way, because someone's feelings might get hurt ?? Cut me a fnckin' break.............. :noway:

As for charging them more so they go away or refusing someone their rights..... nope, again. Why should I hafta tell a lie or make something up about me or my integrity ?? Where's my right to do what I see to be the correct thing to do in MY life. I might be wrong, but it's still my right as an American.

I'm just tired of people with their hands in my pockets and they're getting more shallow by the minute. At least tickle a little while in there and make some fun instead of constantly squeezing them. I hate wrinkled nuts.... especailly when they splash on the toilet.....................

Haha..... now ya have some retina damage in the back of your brain, huh ??

BK Vinyl

Yeah Steve, that's exactly what I got from what you said. The topic at hand is refusing service to people based on who they are attracted to.
And you said you want to be able to "refuse business from anyone for any reason"

Steve C.

Yeah Steve, that's exactly what I got from what you said. The topic at hand is refusing service to people based on who they are attracted to.
And you said you want to be able to "refuse business from anyone for any reason"

THAT is what I said.

player

I would suspect you can refuse anyone you want, just don't give them a reason, or tell them you are too busy etc. at this time.

There was a story on the Canadian CBC Radio the other day about doctors who refuse to give out birth control pills for personal or religious reasons. These doctors work at clinics and are paid for by the govt so should they be able to refuse a legal request?

BK Vinyl

OK, I'm not even sure what your issue is here... The Arizona law, if passed, says that you can refuse service to a customer based solely on the fact that they are gay.
Either that sounds just fine to you, or it sounds ridiculous.
I have no idea what Gino is going on about... Apparently gay people steal...

Marlene

This is not a political issue. It's about people stealing what is mine and I'm supposed to look the other way, because someone's feelings might get hurt ?? Cut me a fnckin' break.............. :noway:

what? I have no idea what you are talking about. are gay people stealing what's yours? are you looking the other way so not to hurt their feeling when they steal from you? what the hell are you on about?

Steve C.

I have no issue. I do not discriminate against gays. I have a problem with the government
telling who I must do business with. I completely understand that some people have a
problem when it come to matters of religious beliefs, and I'm ok with that. I was wondering
how you felt, now I know.

supersignmart

Like Gino

I'm like Gino, I could care less if someones gay, black, white or the Easter Bunny!
What I do care about is the government telling me what I can and cannot do with
MY business. It's mine not anyone else's. If I don't allow red headed people to
buy from me and I go out of business, guess what its my fault!

Joe Diaz

I for one am really hoping this law makes its way to IL, so I can turn away business because people have tattoos

Leviticus 19:28 states:
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

At least in this case I would be refusing people who made a choice to do something and not simply refusing to do work for someone because of who they are.

That's was sarcasm btw.

Desert_Signs

OK, I'm not even sure what your issue is here... The Arizona law, if passed, says that you can refuse service to a customer based solely on the fact that they are gay.
Either that sounds just fine to you, or it sounds ridiculous.
I have no idea what Gino is going on about... Apparently gay people steal...

No, it doesn't. Try reading it, instead of what you are being spoon fed.

ETA: Just to add, if you are turning away 'gay business', your business sense is questionable. They have money and like to spend it. Get in good with that crowd and life can be really good, for your business.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I do lots of work for our local strip club.... I get V.I.P. treatment in there because of it!
They are good customers, always pay in cash.
Mosh,
I have to ask,...what is the VIP treatment in a Gay strip club like?

wayne k
guam usa

Status
Not open for further replies.