• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avalanche rear window

kev324

I just heard that the 2nd window graphic we installed on a major client's rear window is again starting to peel. Material is Classic Vue window perf and installed on the removable rear window of a Chevy Avalanche. I don't remember what the laminate was. I can't recall ever having trouble with the window perf peeling, wondering if there is any trick to the Avalanche glass. I think during the first replacement, we thought a car wash attendant might've been too rough with it. Anybody else run into this issue?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Don't some of these windows raise/lower? Could it be the window trim peeling back the material? If not, I would check the installation; was it cut back from the edges, etc, etc.

Or, it could be that the window was not cleaned 100% and there is Armor-All or similar on the glass.

I hate window perf.

I actually own a chevy avalanche, and my window comes in and out. But I do have window perf on it w/o laminate, and it's peeling all the way around... I just figured it was because I didn't laminate it.

gabagoo

I had to redo 2 avalanches 2 years ago as it all peeled off. The second time around I ran that 3m pinstriping optically clear lam around the edges and it has lasted as far as I know

jmb474

I have a couple of avalanches out there with econovue on them and they are still laying as nice as they were over a year ago when I installed them.

Circleville Signs

Repeat after me -

Don't use laminate on perf

Now that we've cleared that up.....

You have to make 100% certain that you have stripped that glass down to the bone. We clean in 4 rounds.

1. Adhesive remover (whether there is adhesive on there or not)
2. Soap and Water
3. Adhesive remover again
4. 91% isoprophyl alcohol

Wipe down after about 10 minutes with a lint free cloth. Install. Trim back from the edges.

The end.

gabagoo

Repeat after me -

Now that we've cleared that up.....

You have to make 100% certain that you have stripped that glass down to the bone. We clean in 4 rounds.

1. Adhesive remover (whether there is adhesive on there or not)
2. Soap and Water
3. Adhesive remover again
4. 91% isoprophyl alcohol

Wipe down after about 10 minutes with a lint free cloth. Install. Trim back from the edges.

The end.

If you dont use laminate and it rains, you cant see out the window....

kev324

I'm pretty sure in Illinois it's state law that window perf on vehicle windows must be laminated. We use optically clear lam on window perf installs, I just cant recall the brand.

WB

I you use laminate you can NEVER see outthe window...

I don't think your using the right laminate..

Any optically clear laminate should work, It might be abit hazey for a couple days but after a week or 2 it should be clear up.

I would never consider doing Perf on a window without lamination.

rjssigns

Here's how it flops kids. This advice comes from my buddy that makes his living (and a darned good one) installing window film. In a nutshell there will be some glass that will NEVER hold onto anything EVER. He says glass is processed with a type of silicone. Certain batches of glass, in rare cases, will never be free of it and that is what you are experiencing.
I ended up doing van windows 3 times because of it before I called Nick and said WTF!
Give up it ain't gonna work.

Other thing is the rubber trim that outgasses/leaches and will destroy the bond at the edges. Trim back and put thin strip of lam over the edge as mentioned in a previous post. Then cross yer fingers.

Factoid: Certain Lexus SUV's will not accept tint or graphics on the glass of side and rear doors because of a factory applied coating. That was a while ago it may have changed.

Last edited:

anotherdog

the end of vehicle perf?

I for one won't be sad to see it go.

Personally I don't lam. I have tried optically clear and it works...sort of.

I have tried to live with perf on my back window several times (both with and without lam), but always ended up pulling it off.

Tintman928

Few weeks late on this one, but if your good with using a caulk gun, get some DOW995 structural sealant, and seal the edges of the perf down. 995 will stick to the glass and plastic trim around avalanche windows.
I'm a 21 year window film installer, and also own an avalanche, and as rjssigns said, some glass doesn't like to let anything stick to it.

CheapVehicleWrap

I'm pretty sure in Illinois it's state law that window perf on vehicle windows must be laminated. We use optically clear lam on window perf installs, I just cant recall the brand.

Calling BS.

Any window that's legally perfable is unnecessary and can be entirely blocked out on the vehicle altogether.

wrapcitydesigns

Must use 3M clear tape seal

Hey I am a 3M certified graphic installer and they taught us that use must cut a 1/4" around the glass and then use the 3M clear seal tape and the edges will never peel. Hope this helps.