Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B Board cutting.

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Jackflush, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Jackflush

Jackflush Gorgor

Oct 13, 2009
    Fort Bragg CA
    Hello ,
    Im cutting an oval in this 1/8" B Board or B Bond. I put a 60x40 graphic on and I left the masking on. Im thinkin I will jig saw round that there. The masking Im thinkin will stay on while I saw the oval too. Sound like the thing to do? This sign Has been done twice now. Im worn out today. Going to saw in the AM. Going to saw real slow and real careful.
    Thanks and Best regards to the 101

Attached Files:

Tags:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Id cut the material 1st, have a bleed on the graphic, mount it (no transfer tape) and then trim off the bleed with a razor. You can sand it before you mount too.
    Never tried it the other way but I couldnt imagine a jigsaw not tearing up the graphic and getting shavings under the edge of it. Also risking tearing the mask and scratching it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    So, why is this your third go at it ?? What's been going wrong ??

4. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    I love the sign

5. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Occasionally we will contour cut a scrap end of removable material (we use a lot of wall paper and transit material here and always seem to have 3-5 ft scraps at end of roll), mount on the panel and use that that as a cutting template. Strip it off and apply graphic per eqquipaint's suggestion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    I do it this way from time to time. I apply the vinyl at least 24-48 hours prior to cutting to give the adhesive a little "bonding" time.

Leave the mask on so the saw plate won't scuff the print. As you said, slow and careful. Make sure you have a nice new sharp blade in the saw. A fine tooth metal blade seems to be less likely to "gnaw" up the print along the cut edge for me.

Carefully sand your cuts smooth if needed in downward strokes from the print so not to lift any edges.

Best method of course is to follow Equippaint's and Reveal1's advice and cut/prep first then mount the print, but if you'd already applied the print you can still get a good result if careful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

We do the same thing. It's a good way to use up 631 vinyl that's left over from previous jobs. Once cut, I palm sand the edges right up to the template, peel off the template, rout-a-burr the edges, and mount and trim the print.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Often, times, we'll disc sand the edges with either our tabletop disc sander or clamp the substrate and use a belt sander on larger items. Gets a 100% accurate edge. Edges don't lift up, either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Something to add. I don't know about you guys and gals, but it's not the easiest thing in the world, to put an oval print down on a pre-cut oval substrate. Even using guides, it's not easy, unless we're talking like a 15" oval, but the OP's is like 3-1/2' x 5'.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

This is one of the various situations where an application table can come in very handy.

11. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Do it upside down and it's easy.
    Leave an 1/8" bleed and trim right up to it. Tape hinge across print, lay print side down on the table, then put the oval on top and you can easily see it being centered by the 1/8" overage. Roll the tape around and flip it back over and finish from there.

12. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You can do that with a piece 40" x 60" and drop it on perfectly ?? Maybe with help, but most of these members are all flying solo and the few times I've done it, I was by myself on occasion. Easier said than done. Sounds risky to me. Then again, this guy is on his third try, so what's to lose. That's a buncha ruined ACM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    You leave the backing on the print, just lining it up in reverse but apply it right side up with a hinge or can run through the laminator. If you're slick you can line it up, slide an edge off the table, stick a little part of the graphic and then roll it over to finish the mount.

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh..... You're leaving the liner on. Well, that kinda makes sense. Gonna hafta try that sometime. The other thing is, we don't get that many large ovals with prints on them that we use with vinyl. Ovals are generally sandblasted or carved and when its printed, we throw it on the flatbed these days.

See, everyone learns something new, sooner or later. :u rock:

15. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    I'll send you the bill

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  16. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Nah, don't bother, I'll send you a cookie, instead.

17. Jackflush

Jackflush Gorgor

Oct 13, 2009
    Fort Bragg CA
    Second try... The first try is on the reverse side with a whole lotta bubbles. My taping session went south and I chose a middle hinge method. It was a sloppy. The whole session was sloppy rusty hacky work. I have been comm fishing for 3 years and this is my first job since i decided to do this again. Anyways So I had an extra decal that did not contour cut. I masked it with blue tape and carefully cut the border out. Ive put this decal on satisfactory and this jigsaw cut will be for the win. THANK YOU ALL for the tips and tricks!
    Best regards to the 101

18. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    You'll get your land legs soon enough! Yar!

I'll typically cut this circle first, trim most of the excess off the print, then jam them both in the laminator, bump the edges into place, smash laminator shut, then go to town with the bodyguard knife. It's not the easiest to line up an oval, but it sure isn't impossible. The more bleed you add, the easier it gets.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    I would use a down cut saw blade like they use for plastic lam counter tops

20. lyndawayne

lyndawayne Member

May 31, 2013
    Grass Lake, Michigan
    We put the print on the oval after we cut it. Size was 48” x 9’6”. We had guide lines on the print & the oval. All went well. I would post a pic but am having trouble figuring it out. Stupid me. We just did this on 1/8” pvc.