• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner material too thick?! Now what?!

GoodPeopleFlags

We bought 2 retractable banner stands last week and printed the banners in-house. I went to install the banners on them today and the snap rail that is supposed to hold the banner material into the bottom wouldn't close. So I called the company and come to find out, you're not supposed to use 13oz banner material with this - or any - of their retractable stands! NO WHERE in their catalogue or online does it mention that. So now what do I do??? I have to either get new stands to accomodate the banners or get new banners. The supplier said she would make me a good deal on them printing them but it wouldn't be today and they're about 3 days shipping from us. I wonder if she would subtract our cost of the ones we've already printed here??? We don't want to buy a roll of 10oz material for the 3 - 4 times a year we sell retractable banner stands.

What to do now? Any suggestions?

HulkSmash

You need "pop" banner material. its about 180 a roll. I wouldnt even use 10 oz in it.
this material is kinda of like a sure print material but meant for pop ups.
I use "sihl" from grimco works great.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Lol I dont have boards or banner tape. I have been dealing supplies for a long long time and deal with a huge contract that gets me access to alot of digital materials.

HulkSmash

Lol I dont have boards or banner tape. I have been dealing supplies for a long long time and deal with a huge contract that gets me access to alot of digital materials.

I'm looking for some good quality translucent vinyl. Can you give me pricing on that?

GoodPeopleFlags

Well, after alot of muscle power, we got the 13oz to work. Gonna leave it displayed overnight to make sure it's going to stay but it feels pretty good.

I was mostly just mad because the supplier should have it stated in the catalogue and online that you're not supposed to use that type of banner material. Like I mentioned before, we don't want to buy a whole roll of something that we're only going to use 3 - 4 times a year.

Another lesson learned! Thanks for letting me vent!

HulkSmash

Well, after alot of muscle power, we got the 13oz to work. Gonna leave it displayed overnight to make sure it's going to stay but it feels pretty good.

I was mostly just mad because the supplier should have it stated in the catalogue and online that you're not supposed to use that type of banner material. Like I mentioned before, we don't want to buy a whole roll of something that we're only going to use 3 - 4 times a year.

Another lesson learned! Thanks for letting me vent!

its not going to work, its going to curl.. and prob. fall apart. You'll have an irate customer. Fellers might let you order only what you need by the yard.

gabagoo

13 oz banner material is a bit thick when rolled up and yes it will start to curl up over time.
I have been usung this pet15 which is some kind of heavy double sided smooth good printing material, that i cant really call banner

Letterbox Mike

13oz is going to curl. You really need either a 13oz super-smooth or a film-type material. If you're really up a creek PM me, we can probably get these printed for you on the right material and sent out yet today or tomorrow at the latest. Not sure if that would help you out or not but if we can help please don't hesitate to ask.

GoodPeopleFlags

Well, we got them on the stands for now. I'll tell the customer (very nice lady!) that if she has any problems with curling to let us know and we'll get them reprinted on a different material. They have to go tomorrow.

thanks, everyone!

GoodPeopleFlags

I'll go ahead and tell you that the company is Creative Banner Assemblies. I don't want to keep anyone from using them or say they have bad business practices. They're a very good company. We've used them for years and will keep using them. The one I got was the New Standard Telescoping Retractor.

I just want to warn people that if they get a *retractable* banner stand from them, make sure to use 10oz banner material. No where in their catalogue or online does it say that you can't use 13oz. They told me that on the phone yesterday. They said that was the case for all of the retractors. Just trying to save someone else the trouble I had.

Letterbox Mike

FYI, you may want to check out Orbus for your stands as well. Nothing against Creative Banner but we've found a lot of their stands to be of sub-par quality, especially compared to Orbus for the same price (or better). We used CBA for many years but had too many failures and issues to continue using their stands, we switched to Orbus about a year ago and haven't had an issue.

Like I said, nothing against Creative Banner, they're a good company and we still buy other things from them, their stand supplier just isn't the greatest I guess...

copythat

I Feel You!

We only use Expolinc products. And they do have spec's and videos on all their units. We have used 13 oz in the past & now strictly use 10 oz. or polyester material. The poly provides more value for you as the supplier. We charge $9 a sq. for poly, 10 oz banner $6.

Something to think about!

we have used orbus acouple time lately but not for banner stands. we had the regional rep out to us on tuesday, really nice guy and was very inpressed with there banner stands and prices. great company so far to deal with and they seem to have some really good products, so like insignia says, maybe give them a try and see. copycat, good info on the material to use, i'm going to look into the poly today, thanks for the advice!

thewood

I'll tell the customer (very nice lady!) that if she has any problems with curling to let us know and we'll get them reprinted on a different material.

If you tell your client that, I guarantee they will bring them back. The power of suggestion and all...

I understand that you want to take care of your client--I'm just saying.

HaroldDesign

I've used numerous stands from Creative Banner without problems with the stand or curling, and I've been using 15oz smooth double-sided banner vinyl in everything.