• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner permits

David Wright

Well they are being utilized a lot and now my city is considering them also.
I understand the proliferation can make for an eyesore but get a load of this guy.

I was at a meeting with design review committee ( a joke) and the retired architect who sits on everything (while still being the biggest dimwit I have met in while), talked about another committee he is on where they are floating a new proposed ordinance. All banners will have to permitted at $150 a month.
Why, because he estimates they probably make an extra $1000 a week in revenue from them.

Really? Hell, I should put a couple on my building right now. What a way to close the sale on banners with that little info. They don't know or care nor do they want to. Hell it is hard enough to get any banner sales now because of the low price everybody is selling them for. A permit charge will completely end it.

SignManiac

I agree that they have become an eyesore in most communities, hell all signs for that matter. Then again, how's a business supposed to survive in this economy, the other side of the coin.

I suspect you will see many more business failures in the coming years and I'd like to know where all that lost revenue will be made up from? Interesting times ahead.

anotherdog

My sympathies, up here they are just enacting laws to ban all "street" advertising, banners, A frames, the lot. It will make for a pretty city.

Problem is you can't eat pretty.

inthesignbiz

Our city has tried this several times, with no luck in getting it passed.
Too much public outcry.

It is more about revenue than looks. They wanted $30 a month and banners could only be hung 90 days a year. 30 days at a time. 90 days?
The guy that owns the Sonic Drive-Ins gets 12 banners a year (1 for each month) from his corperate office. He would only be able to display them for 3 months.

In the 6 years we've been making banners, I have installed only one.
Would it be my obligation to tell the customer that they need a permit?
When it comes to the city, I am not that cooperative.
And, I told them so.

In the land of the free, we lose more of our freedoms everyday.

TheSnowman

We have only had it enforced on yard signs that were between the sidewalk and the street. You have to have them between the sidewalk and your house now. One day they just went around and picked up 100's of signs and threw them in a truck and held them hostage till you paid $30 to get them back.

We just did a 7' X 16' banner that we put on a trailer, and to park it in town we had to buy a $10 permit for the month, but that was it.

showcase 66

You have to get a permit here for any and all banner that go up but it only costs $0. They basically want to know who is putting it up and it can only be up for a max of 90 days. However, I found a loophole in our ordinance. You can put up a different banner up 1 week after the 90 days is up. It cant be the same banner but a new one can be put up. But if you pull the banner down on the 85 day, yo can put up a new banner that day and the clock starts back at 0. What I was told about the banner permits was basically to know who to contact if the banner starts to rip or is damaged in any way they can contact you to fix the problem. Once they contact you, you have 2 weeks to either take it down or fix it. If not then you will be sent a $15 fine and no other permits will be given until it is paid. I actually give out a permit application with every banner I sell locally. I tell them they can fill it out and just mail it in or drop it off. I have never heard of a banner not being approved.

showcase 66

Originally Posted by kraigsnowden View Post
We just did a 7' X 16' banner that we put on a trailer, and to park it in town we had to buy a $10 permit for the month, but that was it.
I wonder if it was adhesive on the side of the trailer rather than banner, would you have needed that permit?

According to our sign code, vehicles, trailers, and equipment can not be placed anywhere just to have it used as a sign. There was a car lot that we did an 18' trailer with all of their info on like a mobile billboard. They would leave it by the High Schools and parks all the time. I then saw it in the the police impound yard. I talked to the owner of the car lot. They were warned 4 times about leaving it around like that and the owner didnt take them seriously. $1500 later, it now sits on the corner of the car lot and it hasnt moved in a while.

Marlene

I was at a meeting with design review committee

the worst idea ever hatched! we used to have zoning people in each city/town, now we have planning committees and design review committees. the people they get on these are idiots. I have yet to see some one who knows anything on one. they come up with stupid ideas based on nothing but their own personal screwed up idea of what is good. one city decided that a business that has been on a busy 4 lane highway for the past 20 years should only be allowed to have a sign by their curb cut which is on a side street. that would mean they would no longer have a sign in front of the business. when asked what that would do to their business, the committee guy said everyone knows where they are...duh, what a stupid thing to say.

Craig Sjoquist

here also there is banners laws 1 per every 6 months plus permit fees gees as businesses close down more and more and many ignore the banner laws and yes the inspectors pick and choose which business to hassle.

It amazes me a AMERICAN made products and services that produce income and jobs they regulate so much so that it hurt's what the result's are, cities & county's needs income and what does the sales tax give them compared to fees that over restrict.
Besides the Sign Industry is ALL AMERICAN.

copythat

Brain Farts

Really! How do they arrive on a notion of how much money you get from placing a banner up! That's like a tarot card reader looking into a crystal ball to get answers.

Idiot!

CheapVehicleWrap

New Jersey is FINALLY getting more lenient in what was some of the tougher towns. They'd rather not see buildings go empty and loose taxes. They're letting banners and sidewalk sign slide. :) I've done some VERY bold things before in some of the worse towns with no problems over the years and it can only get better. When your commercial building start emptying out hopefully your town will see the light.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Only 30 day "Grand Opening" banners allowed here. No banners. Window graphics may not exceed 25% of available space. No pole signs, monuments with landscaping only. Sign colors must be approved. Only one attached sign.

City beautification.

:wavingflag:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ah yes...the ol' pain in the arse zoning board....

One business here in town had a large banner that hung across the railing (on a large porch) of her business, which happened to run parallel with the road. Her simple message was "Send Flowers". The banner was very tastefully done, yet somehow did not "fit" the criteria of those in "authority".

To make a long story short, the crap hit the fan and she was forced to take it down...the story even garnered front page news in the paper.

Since it was near the holidays, and being the rather creative type, she simply spelled out "Send Flowers" in Christmas lights in even bigger letters where the banner used to be.

Who says you can't fight city hall? I love it!

On a side note, there's a Bigby Coffee joint thirty miles from here that's been around for four or five years. All they have for signage is a large banner screwed to the wall (through the grommets). It looks rather tacky. Is this standard operating protocol for all Bigby's?

shakey0818

its crazy how city and states are trying to have you get a permit from advertising when all they will do is make more money from the increased sales,however it will be the state that gets the money from the sales tax that the cust pays when buying the sign.a permit fee would only hurt the small buisines man that aint right.whats should happen is they should stop spending our money on stupid things.the goverment will tax us to death cause they dont got a clue.im a fan of "i will grow corn and you grow tomatoes and we will barter"