• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Sewing

WildWestDesigns

Find a good used commercial machine. As mentioned Juki's are excellent but there are also other excellent brands like Some of the industrial Singers, Consew, Pfaff, and a few others. Walking foot, compound feed are mandatory for pulling heavy banner stock through.

This is where Pfaff was ahead of the others (up until recently) with their dual feed. That was actually integrated into the machine, it wasn't separate like the other machines that you had to add to the machine. That was the main reason why we always had Pfaff versus any of the others. It isn't the same when it's an add-on.

Of course, now that they let their patent go, I'm sure we will start seeing machines with that integrated.

GB2

Old Member
As I understand the Juki 1541s is the preferred single needle model sewing machine but is a single needle the best choice or is a double needle the better choice for sewing banners? I imagine the single needle is more versatile but can you get that double row stitching easily enough with a single needle machine....I've never sewed anything before.

There's a very nice Juki 1541s for sale on Ebay at the moment, in Arizona I think. It's not the greatest price but looks to be a great condition newer machine.

GB2

Old Member
So, are you saying that you could potentially get a Juki 1541s single needle machine and get an attachment that would convert it to a double needle machine? Would that be something that you could interchange easily on a regular basis as needed?

Letterbox Mike

My understanding is you can't convert a single-needle to double-needle but I could be wrong. But I don't see how it could be possible (assuming the machine is a true single-needle).

Definitely look at a double-needle, go with a 1/4" gauge (needle spacing), that'll sew just about anything you'll ever need to sew in a sign shop. Make sure it's a walking foot machine and not needle-feed, a needle feed pulls the material with just the needles and does a poor job with heavier banners, and your stitch length will be very inconsistent because it's always straining to pull the material.

Also, while you're at it, you might consider having a folder or hemmer attachment added, it's a little metal thing that sits in front of the needles that automatically folds the material over as it feeds forward, makes for a perfect hem without having to manually feed it. Also, if you're going to be doing some really heavy or large banners, a puller attachment might be worth the investment. That's a motorized wheel that grips and pulls the material forward as it feeds through the machine. It makes it significantly easier to feed banners straight, and eliminates the headache of having the "help" feed really heavy material. They're not cheap, but if you will be sewing a lot they will make your life easier for sure.

petesign

If you can get a commercial juki for 1k, thats a bargain, we just spent 2500 for a singer 300w. It will pay for itself in no time, as you will be able to start sewing awnings and banners for other shops in town too.

:thread:thread

Anyone wanna post pics of your sewing room? Getting ours set up, and would love to see how others are doing it.

GB2

Old Member
OK, so let's go the other way around since it seems that was false information about converting single needle to double needle machines...if you wanted to, can you just use one needle in a double needle machine so that it would sew like a single needle machine? It seems like a Juki 1560 would be the premier choice in a double needle machine, does anyone have an opinion about that?

Letterbox Mike

Yeah, you can do that, doesn't hurt anything to run with just one needle. You're probably over thinking the one needle vs. two thing though, 99% of the time (if not more) you will want two. We've been sewing in house for about 3 years and have yet to encounter a time we needed one needle. And like I said, a 1/4" gauge is narrow enough that you can still sew a fairly small hem if needed.

WildWestDesigns

I said nothing about converting anything. I was talking about these babies here. You can use these on single needle machines. You don't have to get a two needle bar machine.

Attachments

• double needle.jpg
    double needle.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 94

WildWestDesigns

I knew I had one somewhere around the place.

As you can tell, they are technically called "Twin Needles". The only difference between using this on a single needle and a true dual needle is the bobbin thread. The bobbin will alternate between the two needles using this method. Otherwise, it's the same as far as output.

Attachments

• Double Needle.png
    Double Needle.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 93

WildWestDesigns

That's crazy! No other modification needed to the machine? How strong is the stitching compared to a true 2-needle?

The top stitching itself isn't any different, the support of the bobbin thread is where the difference is. I haven't had a failure using this, seem to hold up very well in my experience.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
That is definitely interesting. I cannot imagine quite how it will interact with the hook and bobbin but if they make a needle that way then there must be a way. But I can only see that working if the shuttle/hook were designed with a longer opening or timing it would be ungodly tight which is already a critical bit to have just right. Ours is a single needle and any banner we sell for very short term or indoor use only gets single stitched. Only takes an extra couple minutes to double stitch them but that does get tedious when there is a lot to do. I do want to move up to a double needle though. Cannot just turn corners with a double but the extra strength and simplicity of running both in a single pass will be worth it. Bobbin-less would also be nice but I think costs really start soaring when you start going to those level of machines.

WildWestDesigns

That is definitely interesting. I cannot imagine quite how it will interact with the hook and bobbin but if they make a needle that way then there must be a way. But I can only see that working if the shuttle/hook were designed with a longer opening or timing it would be ungodly tight which is already a critical bit to have just right.

I cannot speak for the Juki, but we have always just run Pfaffs and Brothers and haven't had an issue with our machines running these right out of the box.

Suz

For Banners, I currently own an Econosew machine:
http://www.feitcompany.com/catalog/2060AL.pdf
I think with table, motor, and all, it cost around $1,000.00 new a few years ago.
About a year ago, we purchased a second machine just like it (different name brand and it is a "TACSEW") and the parts are all interchangeable with the Econosew. Very happy with it too!
Both machines have walking foot. Both handle medium to heavy duty.

The Juki machines are really fabulous, we own (4) of them. You did not mention what model Juki you were looking at for $1,000.00, but that seems very reasonable if it is in nice condition as used, has walking foot, big bobbin. I like big bobbin or jumbo bobbin because I get about 2x the mileage sewing before I have to put new bobbins in. Big time saver especially when doing long sewing lines like on banners. This was a very important feature for me.

I have not owned a Pfaff, but would definately consider one if price was right, they are great machines.

There is a machine called "HIGHLEAD" that gets really great reviews, people who have owned Pfaff and Juki machines in the past are purchasing them too, they have walking foot machines and all kinds of options including double needle. I'd consider the HIGHLEAD brand for sure. Here is one that I think looks like a great deal from a source I've purchased from in the past. Good seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGHLEAD-GC...ng_Machines&hash=item45fc40265d#ht_5528wt_871

If you check out used machines on your local Craigslist, be sure to have the seller set up the machine and allow you to do some sewing with it and show you how to use it. A bargain is not a bargain if you can't make it work. Good boat anchor though! :)

Let us know what you get!

Last edited:

phototec

For Banners, I currently own an Econosew machine:
http://www.feitcompany.com/catalog/2060AL.pdf
I think with table, motor, and all, it cost around $1,000.00 new a few years ago.
About a year ago, we purchased a second machine just like it (different name brand and it is a "TACSEW") and the parts are all interchangeable with the Econosew. Very happy with it too!
Both machines have walking foot. Both handle medium to heavy duty.

The Juki machines are really fabulous, we own (4) of them. You did not mention what model Juki you were looking at for $1,000.00, but that seems very reasonable if it is in nice condition as used, has walking foot, big bobbin. I like big bobbin or jumbo bobbin because I get about 2x the mileage sewing before I have to put new bobbins in. Big time saver especially when doing long sewing lines like on banners. This was a very important feature for me.

I have not owned a Pfaff, but would definately consider one if price was right, they are great machines.

There is a machine called "HIGHLEAD" that gets really great reviews, people who have owned Pfaff and Juki machines in the past are purchasing them too, they have walking foot machines and all kinds of options including double needle. I'd consider the HIGHLEAD brand for sure. Here is one that I think looks like a great deal from a source I've purchased from in the past.

Ok, I'm new to banner sewing and also looking for a first time machine (used), just something to start out with as I only do a small amount of banners now.

There is much talk about the machines with a walking-foot, is that something you must have to hem digitally printed banners?

Looking on ebay, I have found some good deals, but the ones that have a walking-foot are straight-stitch machines, I believe I read on here that you really need a LOCK-STITCH machine for banners, is that right?

Does anyone sew banner hems using a straight-stitch machine?

Does anyone sew banner hems that does NOT use a walking-foot machine?

Thanks for any info...

:smile:

Suz

A used machine is fine of course, as long as it runs! LOL :) For me, buying a sewing machine is like buying a car. I want to drive it! If I like how it drives, I might buy it.

Straight stitch machines are what I use, they are also lockstitch. Lockstitch just means you have a top thread and a bottom thread and the stitch locks (joins) in the middle. Look up lockstitch and you will find lots of illustrations. You'll probably find an illustration in your sewing machine manual too showing a lockstitch.

There are also chainstitch machines, meaning no bobbin thread. Many people who sew banners use the chainstitch machines too. I don't. I just don't have one of these machines is why I don't use one. :)

You should visit a sewing machine shop that sells commercial sewing machines to get a better idea of what these machines can do that you are asking about. Bring some banner material with you, the type that you will be using and ask them to show you how to use the machine. Decide what kind of thread you will be using for sewing the hems and seams. The Commercial machine dealer should be able to help you make these choices too, and they probably sell the thread as well.

Walking foot is better to use with banners than non-walking foot. However, if all that you have is a non-walking foot, you could do it still. Your stitch may not be real consistent, especially if you are going over different thicknesses or layers on the same project. A walking foot helps propel the substrate through the machine, also helps maintain the stitch length or consistency, and it is much easier on your body! You need a good deal of power to sew through several thicknesses of banner material and so this means most home machines will not work very well for you. If they do work, you will probably damage the tension or throw the machine timing off. Other parts on a home machine, like needle plates and tension knobs can also get damaged when using too thick of thread.

You'll need a heavy duty thread or commercial thread for sewing banners and that is really what is going to make you want to use a commercial machine. Another factor to consider is stitch length. Commercial machines have a longer stitch length then home machines have, which is a desirable thing when sewing vinyl banners.

Hope that helps!!!

WildWestDesigns

Walking foot is better to use with banners than non-walking foot. However, if all that you have is a non-walking foot, you could do it still. Your stitch may not be real consistent, especially if you are going over different thicknesses or layers on the same project. A walking foot helps propel the substrate through the machine, also helps maintain the stitch length or consistency, and it is much easier on your body!

This is why Pfaff had the edge on other machines for so long. They had a dual feed which is built into the machine and works a whole lot better then the walking foot. Which is what the other companies had to come up with in order to compete with the dual feed.

Now that Pfaff let their patent run out (stupid, stupid move), I would imagine going to see a whole lot more dual feeds built into the machines now.

Suz

Yes, I like Pfaffs too! The Consew with walking foot is also a beast of a machine! There are lots of good machines, but you have to run them to know. :)

I don't have a Pfaff of my own, but I'd buy one if I could find a good used one. Have enough machines! You might say I like them! Really I do like to play with sewing machines, fix up and move onto another. Fun for me!
-----------------

This is why Pfaff had the edge on other machines for so long. They had a dual feed which is built into the machine and works a whole lot better then the walking foot. Which is what the other companies had to come up with in order to compete with the dual feed.

Now that Pfaff let their patent run out (stupid, stupid move), I would imagine going to see a whole lot more dual feeds built into the machines now.