• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Sewing

phototec

A used machine is fine of course, as long as it runs! LOL :) For me, buying a sewing machine is like buying a car. I want to drive it! If I like how it drives, I might buy it.

Straight stitch machines are what I use, they are also lockstitch. Lockstitch just means you have a top thread and a bottom thread and the stitch locks (joins) in the middle. Look up lockstitch and you will find lots of illustrations. You'll probably find an illustration in your sewing machine manual too showing a lockstitch.

There are also chainstitch machines, meaning no bobbin thread. Many people who sew banners use the chainstitch machines too. I don't. I just don't have one of these machines is why I don't use one.

I'm confused, you say you use a straight stitch machine that is also a lock stitch, so it is both at the same time or do you have the option to select different modes?

Also, not clear if your machines have a walking foot or NOT, you explained the principal very well, but didn't clarify if your machines have a walking foot or not?

I thought a chain stitch was BAD to use on banners, because if one thread comes loose, the whole hem can unravel?

What size needle and thread are you using for your banner hemming?

Do you use UV resistant thread?

What brand thread?

:smile:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We mostly use UV bonded nylon thread in 69 size with a #18 needle but for some of the huge or really heavy long term stuff we also keep 92 thread and switch up to a #20 needle. Also have bonded poly thread as well and some of the clear but the nylon seems to run the best in our machine.

GB2

Old Member
Suz, what model Juki machines do you have? It's my understanding that the lockstitch machines are the preferred models but by your description of the chainstitch I would think that the bobbin-less chainstitch models would be better. Therefore can you tell me why I've heard from others that the lockstitch is the preferred model?

Edit: I just noticed Phototec's explanation of the disadvantage of the chainstitch...matter resolved!

phototec

Suz, what model Juki machines do you have? It's my understanding that the lockstitch machines are the preferred models but by your description of the chainstitch I would think that the bobbin-less chainstitch models would be better. Therefore can you tell me why I've heard from others that the lockstitch is the preferred model?

Edit: I just noticed Phototec's explanation of the disadvantage of the chainstitch...matter resolved!

GB2, I not 100% my comment about chain stitch is correct, that is just what I have been told in the past. However, it sounded plausible and some banners take a lot of abuse, so I wouldn't want the hem to unravel. I have been told that a lock stitch, would prevent that from happening.

I would refer to others on here that have more knowledge about sewing banners.

Suz

Yes, my Econosew and Tacsew machines do have the walking foot. Lockstitch machines I use for banner sewing are straight stitch only. They don't do zig-zag or satin stitch. Lockstitch is not optional. Straight stitch is not optional. They are oth lockstitch and straight stitch at the same time. Sorry if it is confusing.

I like "Coats" Ultra Dee thread, I also like Dabond Poly V92 thread. Not sure about the UV resistant, but I think that it is.

I don't have chain stitch machines myself, so will leave those questions for others to answer. About chainstitch unraveling, I think you are right, I've seen that. But I think it has much to do with the workmanship. My friend who can finish my banners for me has a double needle chain stitch and she seems to make it work just fine for the purpose of hemming banners, no unraveling so far.

Hope that helps some.

I'm confused, you say you use a straight stitch machine that is also a lock stitch, so it is both at the same time or do you have the option to sele
ct different modes?

Also, not clear if your machines have a walking foot or NOT, you explained the principal very well, but didn't clarify if your machines have a walking foot or not?

I thought a chain stitch was BAD to use on banners, because if one thread comes loose, the whole hem can unravel?

What size needle and thread are you using for your banner hemming?

Do you use UV resistant thread?

What brand thread?

WildWestDesigns

A chain stitch does have a higher chance of unraveling. Chain stitches have been around a long time. In machines they were replaced with the lock stitch. I personally would do a lock stitch.

Funny story about the lock stitch, but this relates to machine embroidery. I knew a guy (a real guy, this isn't just me doing a funny neophyte thing) that would run a small stitch filter before he exported his designs to his embroidery machine. That's all fine and good unless you have the settings to take out so small of stitches that it removes your tie in and tie out stitching. Never want to see embroidery designs unravel.