• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Because we don't eat real food...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would love for everything I buy to be healthy, organic food with no preservatives but that stuff is expensive! I'm an avid coupon-er and save money every chance I can. I would love to learn more about growing my own food.

It's quite easy. You treat the soil, put a seed in the ground, water it and harvest it when it's ready. In the fall treat your soil again and let the winter snow, rains, or whatever is conducive to your climate and plant again next year. Again, according to your location, your growing season may vary. So, you'll have either more or less crops than someone else.

After you get into it, you'll discover all kinds of ways to tend your soil from raised garden beds to hanging planters to just tilling the ground and getting your hands in to Mother Earth and working your land. You'll work on methods to rid yourself of weeds and other things like birds or other pesty animals... like groundhogs, deer, moles, insects, rabbits, raccoons and do it without hurting them or harming your soil with chemicals. Remember, you're gonna eat this stuff, so don't be putting deadly chit in the ground to kill weeds or insects.
:munchie:

Tim Aucoin

The Aussies are so much smarter than the rest of us, and they seem to "get it" when it comes to our food today. They have produced a great video called "Foodmatters". Here's the link. I purchased this video and WOW, it is an eye opener. NOTHING TO DO with the super foods I choose to consume today, but definitely assures me that I'm making the right decision day to day!

http://www.foodmatters.tv/

ucmj22

It's quite easy. You treat the soil, put a seed in the ground, water it and harvest it when it's ready. In the fall treat your soil again and let the winter snow, rains, or whatever is conducive to your climate and plant again next year. Again, according to your location, your growing season may vary. So, you'll have either more or less crops than someone else.

After you get into it, you'll discover all kinds of ways to tend your soil from raised garden beds to hanging planters to just tilling the ground and getting your hands in to Mother Earth and working your land. You'll work on methods to rid yourself of weeds and other things like birds or other pesty animals... like groundhogs, deer, moles, insects, rabbits, raccoons and do it without hurting them or harming your soil with chemicals. Remember, you're gonna eat this stuff, so don't be putting deadly chit in the ground to kill weeds or insects.
:munchie:

Good points. My bed is 21" off the ground with 18" of chicken wire around that in a fenced in yard so I havent had any mammal problems. I had some 6 legged critter problems until the fennel blossomed which brought the wasps that killed the caterpillars, then some stink bugs took up residence on my tomatoes which cleaned them of the aphids. all in all I had a pretty nice, natural ecosystem going on this year and didn't need to treat with any pesticides whatsoever!

ucmj22

The Aussies are so much smarter than the rest of us, and they seem to "get it" when it comes to our food today. They have produced a great video called "Foodmatters". Here's the link. I purchased this video and WOW, it is an eye opener. NOTHING TO DO with the super foods I choose to consume today, but definitely assures me that I'm making the right decision day to day!

http://www.foodmatters.tv/

this was a good one. its free on netflix if you have that. Want to watch something really crazy, check this one out!

sportycliff

Victory Garden.

Everybody needs one. Much healthier, and you know what's in it. There are plenty of Urban Gardening magazines out there, so space is no excuse.

Grow, and raise your own food, it's not hard, it's very relaxing, it's very fulfilling.
A few chickens, and a garden take little space, time, or investment.

It is a way of life, and your children will be amazed, and you'll love it. I almost guarantee it...

ucmj22

Victory Garden.

Everybody needs one. Much healthier, and you know what's in it. There are plenty of Urban Gardening magazines out there, so space is no excuse.

Grow, and raise your own food, it's not hard, it's very relaxing, it's very fulfilling.
A few chickens, and a garden take little space, time, or investment.

It is a way of life, and your children will be amazed, and you'll love it. I almost guarantee it...

My wife wants chickens, Im a little skeptical because 1: I dont know how to take care of them 2: seems messy and 3: i think my dog will eat them

sportycliff

Chicken are easy! Messy? Well I guess it depends how you look at it. I like free manure for the garden. With a chicken tractor you can use them to fertilize and eat the grubs/bugs from your lawn. Check out backyardchickens.com, or buy Raising chickens for dummies, good basic info with both. (The owner of BYC wrote the book). Ive got 19 layers right now and had a dozen meat birds, (my first time) Next year I'll quadruple my layers and raise 50 meat birds.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
My wife wants chickens, Im a little skeptical because 1: I dont know how to take care of them 2: seems messy and 3: i think my dog will eat them

Google is your friend... there is an overwhelming amount of stuff on keeping chickens and building chicken coops.

The best coop that one can have is a movable coop that has a enclosed outdoor range. Move it once a week and let your chickens clean and condition and fertilize your land in prep for a garden next year... Chickens do wonders for the condition of soil.

oldgoatroper

cabbage and root vegetables!

Yes... its possible to store carrots in a sand box in a cool, dry place, like a root cellar and eat fresh, delicious carrots all winter longer right up to April.

Cabbages -- which are very good for you -- last a long time, as well...

Google it -- lots of info out there.

oldgoatroper

Question...

Why do chicken coops always have just two doors?

Because if they had three or four doors, then they would be hatchbacks or sedans....

Bigdawg

Just Me
Truth is, genetics play a big part in who lives long, and who doesn't, with the exception of accidents. You can eat healthy, exercice regularly, but you WILL die when it's your time. I suggest you make the most of the time you have. A lifetime is but a mere drop in the bucket of time, drink up!

Best quote of this whole thread.

signmeup

Chicken are easy! Messy? Well I guess it depends how you look at it. I like free manure for the garden. With a chicken tractor you can use them to fertilize and eat the grubs/bugs from your lawn. Check out backyardchickens.com, or buy Raising chickens for dummies, good basic info with both. (The owner of BYC wrote the book). Ive got 19 layers right now and had a dozen meat birds, (my first time) Next year I'll quadruple my layers and raise 50 meat birds.
But I don't have a chicken tractor and I hate the taste of bugs and grubs from my lawn!

ddubia

Not sure why everyone is trying to prolong death, a year, five or ten more, what difference does it make.

Yep, you can cryogenically freeze yourself, suspended in time, and when they finally thaw you out... you're still gonna die!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What do you do in the winter when nothing is growing?

Grow enough and make jams, sauces, soups and just freeze the stuff or jar it.

We have one full freezer of nothing but home-grown stuff and one side by side with more home-grown stuff.

One refrigerator is for ice to go in my Bushmills !!!!!! No chemicals in that chit, either. I need lotsa ice.

We even make our own soda and refreshing drinks [besides Bushmill].

OldPaint

.. I did change MY life, as it was a decision that I made and action that I took.
this potion gave you the impetus to MAKE CHANGES!!!!

11 months ago I was introduced to a product, or rather a system to "cleanse" my body. It's not a weight loss system and it's not a diet. It is whole body cleansing by means of NUTRITION. "Yeah, right. Another magical solution" is what I thought at first. But I DID THE RESEARCH and liked what I found so I decided to try it. And guess what? IT WORKS FOR ME! It works for my wife and it works for 6 family members and 8 friends of ours who saw our lives change and WANTED what we have! Over the last 11 months I have researched EACH AND EVERY ingredient in EVERYTHING I put in my mouth EVERY DAY and I am satisfied that I am eating not only the best nutrition I could be eating, but it is CHANGING my body and my life!

You believe what you want to believe, but DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS about what I'm doing unless you take the time yourself to DO THE RESEARCH and know what you're talking about before you basically tell me that I'm being suckered into something I THINK is helping me! :noway:[/QUOTE]

i am answering your post because of one statement you made.ABOVE.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH the so called "snake oil or chemical magic!!!
if you did all the CHANGES WITHOUT THE "snake oil.chem magic" YOU WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE SAME RESULTS!!!!
reason, you decided to MAKE CHANGES TO WHAT AND HOW MUCH FOOD YOU INGEST!!!! its that simple. giving credit to some "potion" of a mixed bag of herbs......is no different then a "placebo effect." in YOUR MIND its telling you that without that "potion" all that has changed WOULD NOT HAVE OCCURRED!!!! so kudos to you for improving your life, but giving the credit to something other then YOU & your educating YOU......is not the way to see the CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS YOU........have accomplished.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER..........

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
... maybe we are arguing about 2 different things here, and I got off on the wrong one.... but are you saying Infant mortality rates are directly attributable to a lack of cumin?

Don't be a fool, or worse, an obtuse fool.