• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best employee gripe so far...

SignManiac

Okay, so we hired three new employees this past week beginning on Monday. Two of the new guys will fit in great. They do their jobs, and when they are finished, they immediately ask what's next or find something new to do without any slacking off.

Third guy comes in and immediately is an ass kisser, talks constantly instead of doing his job and disturbs all the other employees who are trying to do their jobs. I already new that on Thursday he was going to be terminated.

I guess he didn't like the way work was going for him on Thursday and he sent me and my business partner this ridiculous diatribe going on about work that day. Then when he came in this morning, we handed him his final check and wished him well. He refused to leave and spent thirty minutes yammering on and wanted to know how come he is not liked at every job he has ever worked at?

Strangest letter I've received in all my years in business :) His name has been removed...

good; 'morning' afternoon' evening..

So here we are at this intersection in our collective lives. We are equally unaware what the future holds. Yet, we can both be sure that you will be the boss while we are working together.

Yesterday I blurted out, and you heard, that, in summary, that people sometimes did not take a like'n to me without grounds..
You, and especially since you have succeeded, have found the same groundless distaste in the faces.

Though our experiences with the others is most similar, it is also profoundly dissimilar.

I have a keen, well honed people intuition. Sometimes it may just be me blowing smoke up my own azz. But I sense the distaste right away. And that said, I feel such a feeling with some of our team.

It is most unfortunate that folks are bred to be competitive. There is nothing wrong with aspiring, or rising above, or succeeding. But why not achieve these heightened planes of the social ladder with confidence based on your awareness of your gifts and your ability to exploit them, instead of measuring your person against another person and achieving those results by manipulating the impressions of those whom you believe hold the keys to your success to believe they are more because the other man is less. In short I live in my own world and as a result don't fit any standard molds that others can measure me with or compare themselves to. They only see that I am resourceful, cheerful, efficient, gifted ( cursed ) with zero inhibitions, energetic, and after they delve a little deeper they see that I am not tolerant of fraud, deceit or disloyalty. In addition they discover that the enigma speaks up when there is an imbalance that could result in determent, either to me or to them.

If people can get over there fear that I am after there job, get over the belief- unfounded- that I am trying to be better than them and can just see that though I'm not the fastest runner I may be the best dancer. We all are gifted. No ones gift will impose more value. Though the sun is the primary, the moon also has a significant roll in our existence as we know it.

So I dont mean to be crying to you about my woe's of being sold as a poor performer by a person that says nothing when others take 1.7 hours to sand the same piece that only required 1.2 hours for me. Then yesterday I stained 2 boards to someone else's one through about 15 or 20 boards and though I seek no credit. i do seek a balance from those assigned to be my boss.

It is impulsive for me to express my frustration at the moment I see the disparity. And it is an emotional response to what I see as a persistent cycle of people seeing me as some sort of ass kissing threat when alls I'm trying to do when I arrive at work is get the job done to the best of my ability, and learn as I go. I don't care who is the winner. I don't care who can run the fastest. Alls that matters to me is that there is honesty, fearlessness, efficiency and a common understanding among all, with whom I work, that we all have strengths and shortcomings. And a good human manger exploits those strengths and makes concessions for the shortcomings. Moreover said manager inspires a cohesive work environment by allowing each person to be recognized by what they are good at and assuring each person that what they are good at is of equal value in the scheme of things.
Kevin does not like me. Chris does not like me. They both believe I was excessively slow sanding letters. In fact I completed the same letter over 5.5 hours at 1.2 hours per letter. My replacements did the letters at 1.7 hours per unit, but nothing was said. That bugged me so I asked kevin how he could think that it was a good choice to replace me with slower, but more to his liking, workers. How can liking someone more justify wasting man hours...? Needless to say he took that not so well. He was curt and told me I should just go to the office. I did not, but instead accepted life as it was on his terms.

Ultimately took the itiative and made peace. I acknowledge that I am sometimes reactive and that I am always the cause of any misfortune that befalls me. But as I get older i am less patient with the men that seek my weaknesses as a means to make themselves feel better. .... how redundant.! I am not the best at anything. However I am very good at some things and always open to learn and accept correction.

The world would be allot less pleasant if everyone was like me, but why the hell can't everyone just be like me..?????

I think all will be well...., Mat likes me, but he's a pretty fearless young man. So like all else in the world; what will be will be and no matter the result I will always be ok....

I really like my job, in spite of the childish, sneaky power games. And I will always look out for your interests when assigned a task, of that you can be sure. My first loyalty will always be to the guy that gave me a chance to grow, that would be you. I will respect those deemed my senior by you, but will not stand idly by while being sold as cabbage, when it is not who I am. I am just a human, with faults...., no surprise.

Anyway I am tired and rambling incoherently....,
The Eye quack told me there was to much pressure behind my good eye, but then did the test again and recanted......,

Anyway please ask me if what is said of me is true and if it is I will readily say so, mostly because I am not scared to be wrong, last or least of anything because I am also first sometimes.

good night/day/evening...

Name, The FNG

briankb

Premium Subscriber
If you actually read that entire thing I'm impressed. I stopped after the 3rd incoherent paragraph.

Sounds like you just saved yourself a LOT of headache and money down the road.

Speedsterbeast

Not sure how professional it is posting letters from your employees on a forum to make fun of them.

That being said, that guys a few pixels short of an image.

David Wright

Well he esteems himself more than others do him, closing in on narcissism.
Odd guy for sure but ultimately it is the work he does or doesn't produce.

SignManiac

He said he was good at poetry and would be glad to design signs for me because he made a website once. Forgot to mention he is an inventor too but was having problems getting anything patented. Not that it makes a difference but the guy is 46 years old.

Speedsterbeast

No name is mentioned, and I've seen better ones posted.

Just to be clear, I'm not calling you unprofessional, I'm just putting it out there to reflect on. As in asking the question "I'm not sure if..."
Sarcasm was not intended either. Gees, now I'm rambling like your ex-employee.

genericname

The Eye quack told me there was to much pressure behind my good eye, but then did the test again and recanted......,

Are you sure you weren't on camera the whole time? This guy sounds either certifiable, or like an actor.

About half way through, I imagined the letter as narrated by Hunter S. Thompson. Made much more sense, and became almost tolerable.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you own a gun or have some big dogs ??

If not, I'd get a half dozen of each.... the bigger the better. That's one nut job. He's even worse than 'you know who '............

Years ago, I had one, where after 9-1/2 hours... yes hours of working, I had to let this guy go for many reasons. He was just a short little thing and he came right up to me... in my face and said almost under his breath.... you think I'm afraid of you. I know you do. Well, I'm not. I'll get you. I'm gonna get you because you think I'm afraid and I'm not. I told him to return my tapes and I really don't care what he thinks or says to me... and then he said.... I'm gonna kick your ass. Not now, but I will.

HulkSmash

He said he was good at poetry and would be glad to design signs for me because he made a website once. Forgot to mention he is an inventor too but was having problems getting anything patented. Not that it makes a difference but the guy is 46 years old.

Sounds like he has a couple of cards missing from his deck.

SignManiac

Gino my intent was to take some of the heat off 'you know who ' :)

And yes I am slightly concerned about this individual coming back and chopping me up into tiny pieces!

Techman

After flinging yourself out of high powered aircraft, and taking on huge truck tires with your motorcycle, and groping venomous snakes.. I think you are not worried about him in the least...

i know that you live in a 'unique' area...i just did not know that it was the 'twilight zone'. Everyone needs to feel valuable and appreciated, internal politics in ultra-small businesses can be much greater than the politcs in small business (as defined by the US Gov. which varies some by type of business but generally accepted 500 or less employees). Some employees simply don't fit into a very small business environment well, where they are expected to wear many hats, work with a wide variety of employees with their own unique 'quirks'..versus reporting to a 'normal job' (haha) and doing their daily task.

i've got some built up stress at the moment "SignManiac" and I'd love an excuse to take my daughter to disney ...i'd be happy to show up with a megaphone, bullwhip and put on an impromptu 'motivational / teambuilding' excercise...i also do magic shows...as long as they are not for children's birthday parties...unless they have INCREDIBLY HOT MOM's....just kidding..kind of

John L

Yeh, that goes a little deeper than an Apple fan upset over Steve. Either my wife flew down there, disguised herself as a man, and you just now fired her... or he's simply a nut job.

I once out-wackied a wackjob. I'm known to flip-flop between PA and FL a lot so I once had our main service guy tell our new-hire, turned out mental case, violent laborer all about the "real" reason I visit FL so much... my infatuation with alligators, obsession with the everglades, that "always empty" luggage compartment in my motorhome, and how problem cases up here just seem to disappear. It worked quite well. He stuck it out a just few weeks and moved along but always kinda respected me after that.

SignManiac

Too funny Dan! Actually, I have a great team and they all mesh wonderfully together. But on a few occasions over the years, I've found that one bad apple can have a huge affect on moral. This guy was just over the top, even from day one.

And next time you're down this way, let me know. Be happy to get together anytime!