• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best place to hire experienced sign people?

Mattie_BR

When hiring for positions, aside from the obvious experience, what do you guys look for? To you what makes one candidate more desirable than another?

- stability: how long did this person stay in previous jobs?

- attitude: positive attitude, can-do approach is key!

- initiative: take initiative at problematic situations, solving clients problems, etc

The skills are, in most cases, can be taught...while, attitudinal traits cannot.

VinylSlayer

This has been a quite interesting thread. Thanks for the insight. Here is mine. I've been in the industry for the last 12-13 years starting from scratch. Bouncing from one sign shop to the next, eager to learn, willing to get it done everyday kind of person. Out of the 5 sign companies I've worked for, I've found them through word of mouth from other employees and on craigslist in the skilled trade/craft section.

So without putting my full resume out there how much do you guys think I'm worth?

6 yrs operating CNC tables. AXYZ and Multicam
2 yrs Production artist. Corel and AI
12 yrs on graphics....I can do it all. No really. The bigger the job the more fun for me.
1 yr Lead installer
2 yrs Install Helper
1 yr printing and laminating
And other odds and ends like trim capping, building crates......
Highly trainable/willing to train others
All info verifiable.

Or should I keep building experience to become a project manager. Is that possible?

InstaVinyl

The reason my signweb posting is basic is because if I say "You must have a minimum of 5 years experience in project management, or you must be above 35 years old or you must have mig welding experience" I would lose a ton of potential people. I want to find some people first and then see what they have to offer. A little experience is better than no experience in certain cases.

ArmandoAmaya

I am a retired person who worked in a sign busimess for more than 30 years (I am 69 years old) Who wants to work and feel good. I live in Miami Area (west kendall)
If there is any opening full or par.time I am ready
Thanks
Armando

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
This has been a quite interesting thread. Thanks for the insight. Here is mine. I've been in the industry for the last 12-13 years starting from scratch. Bouncing from one sign shop to the next, eager to learn, willing to get it done everyday kind of person. Out of the 5 sign companies I've worked for, I've found them through word of mouth from other employees and on craigslist in the skilled trade/craft section.

So without putting my full resume out there how much do you guys think I'm worth?

6 yrs operating CNC tables. AXYZ and Multicam
2 yrs Production artist. Corel and AI
12 yrs on graphics....I can do it all. No really. The bigger the job the more fun for me.
1 yr Lead installer
2 yrs Install Helper
1 yr printing and laminating
And other odds and ends like trim capping, building crates......
Highly trainable/willing to train others
All info verifiable.

Or should I keep building experience to become a project manager. Is that possible?

What would be your dream job?

I pretty much did the same as you, worked at 8 shops gathering experience from digging post holes to running the machines, but the whole time I had a goal of where I wanted to be... and I got there.
In my work experience, I would have stayed at any of those shops if I had room to grow, was paid enough and the work environment was good. At a certain point, you have to get paid enough and you have to be challenged enough. I've known project managers with less experience than you so it's a possibility... there is also sales, I would kill to deal with a sales person who knew the business well, then there is design, 12 years? Are you any good? You can use your experience to work at an environmental graphic design firm... either way, choose a path and move forward.

VinylSlayer

What would be your dream job?

I pretty much did the same as you, worked at 8 shops gathering experience from digging post holes to running the machines, but the whole time I had a goal of where I wanted to be... and I got there.
In my work experience, I would have stayed at any of those shops if I had room to grow, was paid enough and the work environment was good. At a certain point, you have to get paid enough and you have to be challenged enough. I've known project managers with less experience than you so it's a possibility... there is also sales, I would kill to deal with a sales person who knew the business well, then there is design, 12 years? Are you any good? You can use your experience to work at an environmental graphic design firm... either way, choose a path and move forward.

Thanks for the reply. As far as a goal. I haven't figured that out. I find it extremely difficult to find a place that can offer all of these "room to grow, was paid enough and the work environment was good." I have thought about sales.....but after knowing quite a bit of them I have a strong dislike for them. They lie through their teeth to everyone. That's something I simply can't do. As far as design work, I'd like to think I'm pretty darn good but sitting in the office for 8 hours a day feels like a death sentence. Installing graphics and running the machine side of things is fun for me and has only recently, finally paid off. Is there any money in being a certified 3m Installer? I've looked into it a little bit.

ams

Thanks for the reply. As far as a goal. I haven't figured that out. I find it extremely difficult to find a place that can offer all of these "room to grow, was paid enough and the work environment was good." I have thought about sales.....but after knowing quite a bit of them I have a strong dislike for them. They lie through their teeth to everyone. That's something I simply can't do. As far as design work, I'd like to think I'm pretty darn good but sitting in the office for 8 hours a day feels like a death sentence. Installing graphics and running the machine side of things is fun for me and has only recently, finally paid off. Is there any money in being a certified 3m Installer? I've looked into it a little bit.

This thread killed my chances of interviewing you.

Mattie_BR

You shouldn’t generalize bad experiences with sales people as if they would all be a group of liars. At every group of professionals, you have great ones and others that are just bad.

Sales is a tough job. It requires several traits and skills - as much as some people can be trained to run a machine, others can be trained and developed to work with sales.

Remember that everything single sign you fabricated was sold by someone. I suggest you looking at them as colleagues, just like they should be looking at you as well.

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
Keep in mind these days it’s easy to make more than $15.00 an hour driving an Uber or make $50-$100k + freelancing or working various side hustles, some of which take only a heart beat and a tiny little bit of common sense to make work and that’s without giving up their freedom and having to answer to a “boss” with set schedules and parameters that limit their earning potential.

Also important to keep in mind that $50k per year is poverty level in many parts of the country.

Just my 2cents for what it’s worth. Good luck though!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer

I have had the same experience with quite a few sales people... the ones I enjoyed working with have experience working their way through a sign shop, will go to bat for your design work, and can direct me without getting their design stamp of approval all the time. I was recently working with one who has no experience, condescending, a bad eye for design - even though I gave him all the contacts to sell his heart out... I finally stopped working with him.

We only design, and while it's true that we sit around the office a lot, we also travel all over the US surveying work and presenting projects and occasionally installing... so it's not 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Again, choose a path, but keep perfecting your design and production skills...

VinylSlayer

I have had the same experience with quite a few sales people... the ones I enjoyed working with have experience working their way through a sign shop, will go to bat for your design work, and can direct me without getting their design stamp of approval all the time. I was recently working with one who has no experience, condescending, a bad eye for design - even though I gave him all the contacts to sell his heart out... I finally stopped working with him.

We only design, and while it's true that we sit around the office a lot, we also travel all over the US surveying work and presenting projects and occasionally installing... so it's not 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Again, choose a path, but keep perfecting your design and production skills...

Well i appreciate your comments Rick and duly noted. I've made my work experience about just enjoying what I do and being treated like a human but I should settle into something. I've finally made it to a spot where everything I need is there and money isn't an issue. So thanks any way ams.

Last edited:

VinylSlayer

You shouldn’t generalize bad experiences with sales people as if they would all be a group of liars. At every group of professionals, you have great ones and others that are just bad.

Sales is a tough job. It requires several traits and skills - as much as some people can be trained to run a machine, others can be trained and developed to work with sales.

Remember that everything single sign you fabricated was sold by someone. I suggest you looking at them as colleagues, just like they should be looking at you as well.

Your absolutely right Mattie. I can't argue with that.

InkjetAuction

My local VocTech high schools offer Graphic Communications programs that include pre-press (Adobe), offset lithography, screen printing, large format printing (Roland and Epson), vinyl cutting and embroidery.

I know the department head for one of the schools, so I volunteer teach wide-format printing/vinyl production skills there one or twice a month during the school year.

This gives me access to view students in action... see their motivation and interest. Offer the good one's jobs after graduation (or one they turn 18). I've gotten some super kids to work for me. You'd be surprised at the desktop skill sets of these kids coming out of these VocTech programs. The good kids typically go to college and move on from there...but you get super good and reliable help for a couple of years. Treat them right and offer a reasonable pay and I've found it to be a great way to add to your team. Another bonus is that you get extra help in the busy Summer season, and the kids typically want/need more time off in the Winter. Win-Win.

Just a thought...

ams

My local VocTech high schools offer Graphic Communications programs that include pre-press (Adobe), offset lithography, screen printing, large format printing (Roland and Epson), vinyl cutting and embroidery.

I know the department head for one of the schools, so I volunteer teach wide-format printing/vinyl production skills there one or twice a month during the school year.

This gives me access to view students in action... see their motivation and interest. Offer the good one's jobs after graduation (or one they turn 18). I've gotten some super kids to work for me. You'd be surprised at the desktop skill sets of these kids coming out of these VocTech programs. The good kids typically go to college and move on from there...but you get super good and reliable help for a couple of years. Treat them right and offer a reasonable pay and I've found it to be a great way to add to your team. Another bonus is that you get extra help in the busy Summer season, and the kids typically want/need more time off in the Winter. Win-Win.

Just a thought...

All the college kids around here party and get drunk. This is a big college town. I haven't found a decent one yet. Also what's the point in hiring someone for a year or two? It can take an entire year to fully train someone and then they leave and all of it was for nothing. I can understand if they work in one area, like only weeding and transfer taping vinyl, or only working in a paint booth. If you have them to do everything, they take those skills to the next job and start higher.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All the college kids around here party and get drunk. This is a big college town. I haven't found a decent one yet. Also what's the point in hiring someone for a year or two? It can take an entire year to fully train someone and then they leave and all of it was for nothing. I can understand if they work in one area, like only weeding and transfer taping vinyl, or only working in a paint booth. If you have them to do everything, they take those skills to the next job and start higher.

So, take a message from your own posts vs. the many others whom state, you're too cheap when it comes to paying someone. They don't stay, regardless if they learn anything or not, if they can get a job, flipping hamburgers, which pays more. Why would anyone wanna stay somewhere, if they are not compensated, liked, or making a difference ??

Your attitude towards employees in past threads and other members' threads is p!ss poor towards all of them, not to mention your disdain towards most of your customers.

Take it for what it's worth, but you have a terrible bedside manner with just about anything with which you come in contact.​

DerbyCitySignGuy

It's also worth noting that some employees you're going to have to challenge. If you've got a jack-of-all-trades employee that can do just about anything and you stick that person in a position doing one thing (weeding/taping, painting) without challenging them, they're probably going to leave too, no matter how much you pay them.

[Edit: Assuming they've got that mentality. Some people are fine just sitting on one place doing the same thing every day.]

aMikey

Have sable will Paint,
I see these ad's all the time. Sign shops that don't make any money, expecting to only pay Munimun Wage and get a Professional Sign Painter.

Get off your ass and train somebody to your way of thinking and hope they last more than a week

Where else out there is a good place to find people with at least a year of sign experience?[/QUOTE]

decalman

So I started out hiring people from craigslist with no experience, (bad idea) then went to indeed.com and got some decent people but no experience. I recently tried signweb but those people seem to want $60k+ and have 20+ years experience.

Where else out there is a good place to find people with at least a year of sign experience?

I'll work for you. Can I bring my dog with me,
And can I sleep in my van in your parking lot.