• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best place to hire experienced sign people?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Wow, the numbers being tossed around vary wildly and many state that those on the lower end are insulting but not considering regional differences in costs of living and local economies. Also in my experience, someone young with a brand new shiny graphics design degree is bottom of the barrel and about the lowest pay there is going to be. I've found (at least the ones I've worked with some) that their supposed graphic design degree amounted to them being taught some instructors preferred ways of doing things in Illustrator/Photoshop/Corel, etc and that they actually learned little about actual design and make things with jacked up kerning, hundreds of clipping masks, tons of unnecessary points, poor color theory, red text on a black background, etc, etc....

v0y4ger

We have the same problem here in the U.K. Skilled labour is hard to come by. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty willing to give it a go. But the time and money involved in getting them to a good standard just isn’t worth the risk for small businesses. As the shortage always ends up tempting them away to another sign business.

Last year I started freelancing and I now pick up extra fitting work most weeks for two local sign shops. Some weeks it means I have to work weekends to keep on top of my own workload, but it’s a nice little extra income stream to have.

Maybe finding freelance fitters is the way to go?

ThatGriffGuy

Im pretty shocked seeing the wages getting thrown around. I have 5 years experience owning/running a cut vinyl and screen printing business and 2 years experience installing wraps, box trucks as well as vehicles. I am in the NYC market and if you can get $18/hr here you are doing great. I am currently working for a business here that expects me to work 50 hours a week and also any weekends they demand which of course I find out on Friday night. Management is rude and constantly criticizes work that is honestly above their skill level of install and loves to boast they could hire new guys for $12/hr.