Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware of grommets!!!!

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by signpost-boston, Aug 22, 2011.

1. signpost-boston

signpost-boston Making America great, one sign at a time.

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, Ma.
    yes. they are harmless folks. However, i finally broke down and counted them after i opened the bags...
    (total OCD moment...):omg2:
    AND....
    the order this morning arrived via shipping and two counts of 500 in nickel and brass were SHORT. 40 males and 28 females missing in the nickel. 500 in the males for brass and 28 short in the females.
    NOT COOL.:frustrated:
    if you say you are going to sell 500, then for crying out loud, do it!!
    this is not the first time this happened. J. freeman did it last year. So i tried a new vendor...
    "effing count epidemic seems to be effecting grommet workers."
    maybe if they were made in america this would not be a problem...:wavingflag:

Tags:
  2. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

really?

3. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Those buggers were counted automatically by a scale that wasn't properly calibrated.

JB

4. NEGD

NEGD Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Will you come to my place an count ours?

5. dsmskyline

dsmskyline Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I assume they have a general weight for packaging.

We buy them by the 1000s from Hiker directly. Never had the thought to count something that cost a couple pennies each.

6. Coloradosigns

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    The time you spent to count your grommets is possibly worth more, than the amount of grommets you didn't get.

7. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    You gotta wonder how much we get ripped off though...like anyone is really gonna unroll something they just paid money for, to have it contaminated, and rolled up goofy. I bet we're shorted a few yards from time to time on material. That's like me weeding something RTA for a customer and saying "most of it is there"...

8. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Well being off a total of 68 parts is for sure.... a pisser, but what if you count them and you're only off by two or three ?? Are you going to be just as angry or about 90% happier but not completely happy ??

How do you handle bags of food when it says 6 total servings combined ?? If it comes out to an odd count, do you call the food company and tell them you need one more cookie or you're going to want your money back ??

Ah, stealing is stealing and I guess there could be worse ways to spend your time, at least we all know we're being gypped from the land of grommets..

9. Almonte

Almonte Member

Jul 9, 2011
    West Sacramento, CA
    I bet they're never mis-calibrated to give you more than 500.

10. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    I just tried to "Like" this comment.

11. NEGD

NEGD Member

Jun 7, 2011

:ROFLMAO: there's been a few times I've tried this as well... :iamwithstupid

12. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I always find myself trying to put :thumb: in FB comments

13. Coloradosigns

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Fred, you should add a thumbs up and thumbs down to each post :)
    and there could be a counter of each

14. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
  15. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    That does work out to about 50 sets short out of 1000 or 5%. And in your case you have close to 7% of un-usable sets.

If they do that to every order thats one way to increase the margins. I would think they would error on the other side of things a bit to make sure they filled the order. It would be worth a call to tell them that they may want to check the weigh scale. They may thank you for it..... or not.

Reminds me of an order we had with the Brick. They had a save double the GST (our goods and service tax 7% at the time) and the way they calculated it, we were $50 short on our discount which was a small % but they said that was just the way they calculated it. I said I did not care and wanted my $50 back...... and they did.

16. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I ALWAYS have more rings than males. I always wanted to count them, never had the time. Next time I order I am counting and calling Ol' Frank if they are short!

17. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    our orders are +/- 10%
    (we only charge for what you get though)

i would figure it's a mechanical/scale error like stated before and i would imagine it happens on all the materials we buy few inches short on a roll of vinyl, a few less grommets , a few ml light on the ink...sucks

18. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Incorrect Sir. That scale was calibrated in the proper direction. I'm sure of it.

19. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Almost all grommets come from overseas, you have to count them using the metric system.
    Once you do that I'll bet the count will match the invoice exactly.

wayne k
    guam usa

20. Tom Dalton

Tom Dalton Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Illinois
    You're right. These are counted over-seas. We get about 10,000 bags of 500pcs. We're not going to rip every bag open and check them for accuracy. Luckily, our supplier has a well-calibrated counting scale as we've had zero complaints about inaccurate quantities (knock on wood).

-Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
  21. Spud Murphy

Spud Murphy Verboten

Jun 12, 2011
    Grommets are like socks. Never put them in a washing machine. They wont add up.