• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BIG Mutoh Problem

Well, after 4 or 5 jobs printed beautifully and sucessfully on the Mutoh 1604, and having had it for about 1.5 weeks, the machine was loading material today, stopped halfway in the middle of measuring, shut down, and won't power on.

Not a breaker, not the wall outlet, anything.

Anyone had similar problems..?

This is very discouraging after having it for only so short of a time. Signwarehouse.com tech support told me to unplug the machine overnight, plug it back up in the morning and see if it turns on.

If not, tech guy will be on his way..

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...Signwarehouse.com tech support told me to unplug the machine overnight, plug it back up in the morning and see if it turns on...

Perhaps the Sign Warehouse weenie figures that some bizarre version of the shoemaker's elves will visit while you sleep and make everything right.

FrankenSigns.biz

Please let us know how this turns out.

My take on Mutoh is "caveat emptor".

I seriously question the quality of a machine at the Mutoh price point.

Matt Cuellar

Wow, that stinks. Sounds like it's a fuse of some sort.
Gotta agree with Bob on this one...if SW thinks that leaving it unplugged overnight is going to help, I want to know what they charge for the magic pixie dust that makes that happen. Hopefully the tech is already on his way.

We've been selling the VJs for 2 years now and still have had only 1 service call on all of the machines out of our company. Super reliable, sorry to hear that you're the exception. Keep us in the loop.

Wow, that stinks. Sounds like it's a fuse of some sort.
Gotta agree with Bob on this one...if SW thinks that leaving it unplugged overnight is going to help, I want to know what they charge for the magic pixie dust that makes that happen. Hopefully the tech is already on his way.

We've been selling the VJs for 2 years now and still have had only 1 service call on all of the machines out of our company. Super reliable, sorry to hear that you're the exception. Keep us in the loop.

I hope that I am just an exception, for everyone elses sake and mine, so that after this dilemma it will be solved. I've heard nothing but primarily positive feedback on the machine, so hopefully this will be sorted out quickly. As for it being "fixed" by unplugging it, not sure how that works..

Unfortunate for me..today was the "official" opening of my shop :(

Good thing I had no previous orders so I was able to push out the digital orders that came through the door today prior to it crashing..I was loading up banner material when it crashed on me for my NOW OPEN banner :(

S

SignTech

I hope that I am just an exception, for everyone elses sake and mine, so that after this dilemma it will be solved. I've heard nothing but primarily positive feedback on the machine, so hopefully this will be sorted out quickly. As for it being "fixed" by unplugging it, not sure how that works..

Unfortunate for me..today was the "official" opening of my shop :(

Good thing I had no previous orders so I was able to push out the digital orders that came through the door today prior to it crashing..I was loading up banner material when it crashed on me for my NOW OPEN banner :(

that's some irony there ............ let us know what happens. We are getting ready to buy ........

that's some irony there ............ let us know what happens. We are getting ready to buy ........

Like I said, I hope I am just a rarity in this case.

As far as the printing it does, it is beautiful - very nice quality. Very please with it, other than it..uh, not working now.

I'll be sure to update ASAP. Tech support wants me to call them first thing in the morning, so you better believe that I am..

Well..amazingly enough, plugged the printer in this morning, booted right up, and is printing.

I guess I should thank the printer ferry for visiting me while I sleep..I still want to know why this happened, this machine is too expensive to have this happen on a recurring basis, and if it happened once, it could happen again. Waiting on tech support to call me back today.

I'll post updates.

heyskull

I had a similair problem and I remember doing exactly what you did and it came back on!!!! Weird Ehh!!?
I haven't reported the problem but maybe we should.

SC

Here's the latest update..

It happened again..very frustrating now!

I have a question though, are yuo guys using the USB connection to print, or network connection?

Mine is hooked up via USB and it takes forever for the output to spool the data..just wondering if this is normal. The Colorspan I used to work on spooled fairly quickly and even started printing before it was completely spooled.

Pro Image

I have a question though, are yuo guys using the USB connection to print, or network connection?

Mine is hooked up via USB and it takes forever for the output to spool the data..just wondering if this is normal. The Colorspan I used to work on spooled fairly quickly and even started printing before it was completely spooled.

You need to have it attached to a network....I dont think the printers bios even supports the USB.....It will print but not the way it would if you have a network cable attached.......

It more than likley has a circut breaker that will reset itself when the power is disconnected......

os101king

Ethernet. No problems so far (going on 2 years running one *knock knock*). I love the thing. Frank, have you ever owned a Mutoh? Normally price is a pretty deciding factor on quality, but here I have to disagree. I think the question here is who he bought it from. Buy a tool from Wal-Mart, then see how much they can tell you when you bring it in with a problem. Buy it from your local hardware store and they can probably tell you not only where it's made, but by whom and when they eat their lunch.

If there's a place to apply caveat emptor, it's towards the box-store dealers like Sign-Wherehaus-O-Rama.

os101king

You need to have it attached to a network....I dont think the printers bios even supports the USB.....It will print but not the way it would if you have a network cable attached.......

It more than likley has a circut breaker that will reset itself when the power is disconnected......

What kind of power regulation are you using between wall socket and printer? If it's a CB issue (meaning re-starts by itself) then there's something else happening that's tripping it. Not a safe situation. Personally, I would not use it again until I was sure of my power supply.. that way you can rule out external spikes/power variations and demand a tech visit.

It's printing using the USB..when I was trying to get it setup, I couldn't get it to connect with the network cable, sure I was doing something wrong obviously so I will go back and mess with it, but it prints, just takes a LONG time to spool using the USB..just wondering if it is the same with a network cable.

File I am printing now is a ~140MB file and it takes about 10 minutes to spool the output, then the printer starts warming up..

If its the same witht he network cable, then I will just leave it as is, but if it is faster with the network cable, then i'll switch it over.

Got a call back from the signwarehouse tech, and I happened to be standing here as it happened this time. It happened when the roll was feeding forward, then back just prior to printing. It snached the roll lver back hard, and apparently the machine shuts down when a large vibration or something like that happens.

My setting was for Top, Bottom & Side scanning when loading, so have to turn of Top & Bottom when using the take-up system. It was set to this, but the machine has since been unplugged, and moved, etc. etc so guessing the setting was lost or not saved?? Anyways, I will give it a shot with those setting, and hopefully problem solved.

Still very happy with my Mutoh.

charlie5

Ethernet. No problems so far (going on 2 years running one *knock knock*). I love the thing. Frank, have you ever owned a Mutoh? Normally price is a pretty deciding factor on quality, but here I have to disagree. I think the question here is who he bought it from. Buy a tool from Wal-Mart, then see how much they can tell you when you bring it in with a problem. Buy it from your local hardware store and they can probably tell you not only where it's made, but by whom and when they eat their lunch.

If there's a place to apply caveat emptor, it's towards the box-store dealers like Sign-Wherehaus-O-Rama.

Give me a break

Jim Doggett

Howdy y'all,

Indeed an oddity, or more accurately a rare anomaly. (Chris, it's highly unlikely the problem will recur, according to our techs. I’m happy to hear it worked out in the end.).

Meanwhile, some thoughts on the competency of SignWarehouse support have been advanced here. But I can assure everyone it's not pixie dust.

Being a large and experienced dealer gives us a better understanding of the products we sell. So even calling late in the evening, we'll often have the lesser-known fix to anomalies as rare as this.

Best Regards,

Jim