• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big sign advice

MotorCityMan

My church has a 40" x 20' sign that is made of plywood with a metal front. It is 20 years old and they want to replace it. I have never made a sign this big, what is the best way to build a frame ? What material for the face? It does not need to be able to light up. Thanks

visual800

have one made at a larger sign company with all aluminum skins and framing and you letter it with vinyl. 40 x 20 is nt large at all and if you havnt done one like this yet let someone else do it for longevity sir

Xcesiv

Don't be scared of the size.

Break it down into sections.

You only buy you composite panel or color bond in sheets in standard sizes

Just think of the sign as a batch of smaller signs

Be confident and you will do fine

MotorCityMan

Don't be scared of the size.

Break it down into sections.

You only buy you composite panel or color bond in sheets in standard sizes

Just think of the sign as a batch of smaller signs

Be confident and you will do fine

Thanks for that, I'm just wondering what's the best approach, z clips, poly panels? It has a wood frame already in place to reattach to. I'm having signs 365 do the print.

Jillbeans

Do it cheap or do it right, I'd use aluminum composite and aluminum tubing for the frame.
Lightweight yet very sturdy.
Don't get me wrong, I do signs for churches all the time.
But I hate that poor-mouth "we are a church" crap.
It will cost you more time in labor to do wood, and wood will not last as long.
Love....Jill
PS
I see you're re-using a presumably 20 year old wooden frame. I'd re-do the whole thing.

Techman

charge em right or lose your shirt. That is the way it works with a re-do. Cheap because it is a church is the best way to lose your shirt and pants.

signage

Why do you think churchs have so much money?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Most likely because everything they want they want on the cheap but the best!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I agree with the others....ACM panels for the face and 2" aluminum angle for the framework. Aluminum angle clips attached to the faces so they're removable from the frame. Mount the frames, then mount the panels.

Last edited:

MikePro

+1 to aluminum w/framework.
down n' dirty cheapest would be painted MDO with graphics.
we do large-scale architectural signage, so I'm more inclined to say build from scratch and do something really great while you're making the effort.

also, whatever you do, make sure you get a PERMIT.
some towns/communities even require them for banners these days. "graphic changes" to an existing sign? etc. etc. you bet, permit.

additional note: cheap is crap. Make a couple cheap banners, bake some pies, and throw a fundraiser at the church.

Techman

wait till one of the panels fly off in a wind storm and sails about 6 miles and crashes another church.

Jillbeans

down n' dirty cheapest would be painted MDO with graphics.
Not really if you factor in the price of primer and paint, plus finishing the edges etc.
I rarely use MDO and I charge more for it than for Alumalite.
Also, it's heavy as hell and a PITA to work with.

TXFB.INS

Not really if you factor in the price of primer and paint, plus finishing the edges etc.
I rarely use MDO and I charge more for it than for Alumalite.
Also, it's heavy as hell and a PITA to work with.

+1
our ACM panels are cheaper then MDO and we only do MDO when the customer will not budge on material.

As the others have said ACM Panels tiled together, and a make a frame out of metal (alum or steel) depends on what you can get for the $$$. we like using square tubing over angle iron. when you tile them together make sure you run a support piece on the seams so the face will stay together and not separate, nothing looks cheaper than a new sign that is separated at the seams

we would increase the size for 48" so there is only one cut on the material

MotorCityMan

some pics of before after and during

Not that it should have mattered for this thread but for the record my Pastor has never asked me for a deal or a favor and has always made it very clear to charge him full price. I want to save my church money, I don't see what the big deal is with that. Not everything is about making money, I make signs because I love to do it not because I think I will get rich from it.

Attachments

• church sign style 800.jpg
    church sign style 800.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 132
  • frame 800.jpg
    frame 800.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 157
  • before 800.jpg
    before 800.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 110

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like you got it done.
The layout is pushed a little too close to the edges, next time leave a little white space around the borders.

(That offset doorway it throwing everything off, I'd ask them to move it to the center and fix that second light.).

edit>
Ahh I think you are right Pat, the 3rd photo is the old sign?
I was going by the order of the photos posted - mock-up - frame - finished.
(can you tell it is monday morning here?)
wayne k
guam usa

Jillbeans

Definitely make a new frame.
I'd make the sign from Alumalite.

I personally have given two signs this past year to a church which I no longer attend.
That way I got to choose what went up...I admit that I'm a control freak.
But they also hired me to do a job this year and I charged full price.

MotorCityMan

I agree with the others....ACM panels for the face and 2" aluminum angle for the framework. Aluminum angle clips attached to the faces so they're removable from the frame. Mount the frames, then mount the panels.

where do you get your stuff? any pics ?