• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Biggest difference between Mutoh & Roland

Jim Doggett

aha!
(not that this in any way casts doubt on the veracity of your Mutoh Support)

Thanks; I'd hope not. Hopefully, credibility is judged on its merit and not assumed one way or the other.

If anything, I'm held to a higher standard being an exec of SignWarehouse. Advancing false information would expose me and the company I represent to litigation.

Thanks again,

Jim

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I used to think Mutohs were easier to work on but, after working on a Roland, I find I was in error.

I was at a sign expo last year where a technician was having problems getting ink out of the heads. He tried a syringe to pull the ink through without success. I reach over and moved the head off the cleaning station and told him to try again. Still could not get anything through. A change of cleaning station fixed the problem.

The point is, the best machine is the one you are most familiar with. If he had been experienced with the machine he would have tested the cleaning station first and then moved on to clean the head. The Mutoh is easy to work on if you know the system. same way with the Roland. I thought the Roland was hard to work on until I got to know how it worked. Keeping a Roland clean is much easier than a Mutoh because of the access to the heads.

Okay, so the Roland I was working on was a $56,000 machine and the Mutoh is about $20,000. Maybe, I'm comparing apples with oranges.

The Mutoh does not fair well in an environment where it don't get used a lot. The ink will transfer from one head to another because they share the same foam pad. It becomes necessary to clear to heads of mixed ink before printing a job.

I think I'm done rambling...lol

FrankenSigns.biz

My impression of Mutoh is not good. I own four state-of-the-art Rolands.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jim Dogget's input on this issue. I find his input very informative and enlightening. So much so, in fact that I will be very interested in demo-ing a Valuet when I prepare to buy my next printer.

Kudos to Jim Dogget. This is what I love about S101.

Just Me

My impression of Mutoh is not good. I own four state-of-the-art Rolands.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jim Dogget's input on this issue. I find his input very informative and enlightening. So much so, in fact that I will be very interested in demo-ing a Valuet when I prepare to buy my next printer.

Kudos to Jim Dogget. This is what I love about S101.
me too, i would like to demo a unit for about a year and will give my reviews:thumb:

Mike Santoro

Mutoh Printers

We purchased a Mutoh Outdoor Falcon II approx 4 1/2 years ago. Though we were promised by the distributor that they would be providing profiles for the unit we were left hanging.

Furthermore, Mutoh had 3 significant problems with unit.
1) The pumps had 2 different color inks running through the pumps rather than a black only pump Magenta Cyan and Yellow.

2) The firmware was not perfected.

3) The inks color gamut was poor.

I too requested that this unit be purchased back by the distributor but was left hanging. Fortunately Mutoh did not leave on the cliff. Many a late night on the phone got the machine running.

Soon after they updated the firm ware, change the inks to ultra inks(eco solvent) and changed over the pumps to single colors only.

From that moment on the machine has performed flawlessly. Of course you get the occasional head strikes but these are usually caused by bad media.

Comments that I have read concerning the durability on this unit are unfounded. It is built stoutly, runs quietly and print as good as anyones machines. With the eco solvent ultra inks banding has been minimalized to an occassional happening. Our reds are vibrant and true. Put in a PMS color and its a dead on match in most cases. We use onyx RIP with Flexi Sign Pro.

At this moment were are in the process of upgrading our printer and we will be buying a Mutoh 1614 Valuejet through Fellers. They provide there own service technicians which gives us a very large measure of comfort. We have had a superior working experience with them for thier responsiveness to our emergencies.

synergy_jim

I don't know which is better...

All I know is my my Roland is very predictable and bulletproof and it paid its self off in just over 1 year... ( XC-540 ) that is....

Graphics2u

What you're used to

I think what it comes down to is what you are used to using and familiar with. Roland owners will rave about their machines and Mutoh owners will rave about theirs. The same with Mimaki. Actually the kind of care and regular maintenance you perform on your machine will determine much of the opinion you have of it. These are complicated tools we use in our business and they need cared for, otherwise you'll have problems. And as far as the posts about poor color quality, if you are using Roland Max or Mutoh Ultra the only difference you should experience in color is in the profiling and the RIP you are using. I am not familiar at all with Roland Printers, But I know Mimaki's JV3 series uses the same heads as a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor II. The Falcon Outdoor use different smaller heads, So to compare them to Falcon Outdoor isn't a fair comparison. And the ValueJet uses yet another head so to make side by side comparisons is difficult.

HaroldDesign

I've been running a Mutoh Valujet 1604 for a year now without ANY problems at all, and that's very unexpected out of any machine. Once a week I spend about ten minutes cleaning various components for maintenance, and that's it. It's fastest speed looks o.k., but it's not good for close viewing - good for hanging signs. I found that the really good looking prints run about 120 sq ft. an hour.

izel

need advice

Hi, I am new in this and I am looking for startup machine I know about used Mutoh Falcon Outdoor Jr 36”. Can someone give me review on this model?
Thanks

mark in tx

Hi, I am new in this and I am looking for startup machine I know about used Mutoh Falcon Outdoor Jr 36”. Can someone give me review on this model?
Thanks

I had one of those machines.
It was a very bad experience.
Total piece of crap, and the machine which gave Mutoh a very bad reputation.
Honestly, stay away from it.

I have heard good and bad about Mutohs, I have an Outdoor 62" and its been good so far!

The biggest difference between Mutoh and Roland = the spelling!

copythat

1204 Here!

I went to the SGIA expo in Orlando to purchase my first printer. I've seen the Rolands- Mimaki's & Mutoh's I have a dealer that sells Mimaki's & Mutoh. Walking the EXPO I found tons of vendors using Rolands & Mimaki's to show either the material or software running on these units. When I asked my vendor at the show, why they are being used by so many others & that he keeps pushing the Mutoh on me. Well, I've had the 1204 since Jan. and now I know why! NO Learning curve! Just throw things a it & she will keep printing! JMO