• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boss is p*ssed!!!

TXFB.INS

The shop was contracted to repair a bank sign that was damaged in a storm.

The sign itself is a 40+ year old back light illuminated 2 face, with cut acrylic lettering, temperature kept by a dial, and an analog clock on each side.

While we fixing letting on the face, the bank also wanted the clock & back light portion to also be fixed as they have been no working for awhile.

Since this is a small shop no one has an electricians licence to work on electricity on signs. we subcontracted a local electrician to do the actual electrical work, which was reported on the invoice they already submitted repairing the following;

1 SPST Time Clock 120V
6 H.O. T12 8ft Lamp
20 #12 THHN Black
20 #12 THHN Red Solid CU
20 #12 THHN White Solid CU
1 120Volt Clock Motor

Yesterday when the boss went by the bank to follow up making sure the bank was happy with the service a big bomb was dropped,
the lights don't work on the top and bottom row of lights, then the bank asked when the clocks would be fixed, needless to say the boss was standing there slack jawed.

Story I got he walked to parking lot called the electrician and was told that EVERYTHING was fixed before they left, but they knew the top and bottom row of lights were questionable and doesn't surprise him that they don't work but they would come back and do more "trouble shooting". at their standard rate

so as the boss was standing by the sign he heard a "ticking" noise and knew that the time clock was turning on and it took longer than expected to get the lights up to full brightness, while he was watching the sign he noticed the arms on the clocks started to "twitching" finally the sign reached full illumination, and that is when the clocks started working correctly.

Another call to the electrician and the electrician I was told was speechless, and would be coming ASAP to fix the clocks.

When the boss got back to the shop, everyone saw it was an IDEAL time to find another room to be in.

What he kept asking how could an electrician, or anyone, could leave a job site knowing that there were questionable components and still wrote the job off as being completed. then to know that the electrician hooked the clocks up to the time clock instead of the direct power, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE BY ANY REPUTABLE SERVICE PROVIDER.

Now that the story is told, does anyone know the process for becoming licensed and/or process to work on electric signs in TX, to where electrical signs can be worked on without having a master electrician on site?

I understand the concept that electricians have to have X number of hours to be a master electrician, which is when you can do the work without supervision.

what my specific question is, does the same number of hours and time that is required to be a master electrician also to same for a sign licence since they are different licences.

Last edited:

Patentagosse

God must love stupid people... he made so many.

Whatever the price you pay, there will always be a Joe-Wannabe with legal licence on your way. You will still wonder why the hell they live so long... unbelievable.

Techman

you hire the electrician every time and then be there the first few times to make sure understand the principles of sign work.

Works every time.

TXFB.INS

first you go to school to learn HOW to work on electric.

Grew up with a father who was a master electrician for the govt.
See above for added info

God must love stupid people... he made so many.

Whatever the price you pay, there will always be a Joe-Wannabe with legal licence on your way. You will still wonder why the hell they live so long... unbelievable.

+1 for that statement

you hire the electrician every time and then be there the first few times to make sure understand the principles of sign work.

Works every time.

Sad thing is this is NOT the first job that this electrician has been used for, and up to this point has been supervised and all the other jobs. Where he showed competence for his profession.

signage

I know many registered electricians that can not trouble shoot, but can run conduit and pull wire!

Most sign electricians I know are parts replacers and not trouble shooters!

Are you well versed in the NEC and your local electrical code?

Techman

just as in computer repair which runs a wide gamut of expertise.. There is the same in every other profession. Some here can hand paint while some could not find a brush if one was handed to them.

I have been given lesser terms of endearment because I do not care about the specs on the latest and greatest cpu setups. But give me a dead computer machine and it will be running within an hour. Does not knowing the latest CPU specs make me a dummy?

Same with electricians. Some are experts at wire runs and some are proficient at machinery set up. In this case he performed well before but this time he did not know the job perfectly. He is not incompetent. It was a mistake out of his experience level. The fault lies with the person who failed to double check. That is what a supervisor does. He double checks.

We cannot judge one incompetent because one is not an expert on machinery or sign setup. To do so is incompetent itself. We always trust but verify..

Tigertron

You don't need a license to fix something that has already been installed, inspected and approved by the city. You can not add or change it with out permits and inspections. You do need to know what you are doing because it is easy to injure your self. You need to know proper lockout proceedures. And ofcourse how to hook stuff up.

If this guy is a licensed contractor tell him he needs to fix it free or you will report him to the state board. Trust me he will be there today and fix it right.

ThinkRight

You don't need a license to fix something that has already been installed, inspected and approved by the city. You can not add or change it with out permits and inspections. You do need to know what you are doing because it is easy to injure your self. You need to know proper lockout proceedures. And ofcourse how to hook stuff up.

If this guy is a licensed contractor tell him he needs to fix it free or you will report him to the state board. Trust me he will be there today and fix it right.

:goodpost:
Electrical work is not hard,I do some sort of electrical work everyday for my job.
When I was in high school,I worked summers and after school helping electricians install lights and ceiling fans .
LOTO is very important !
And to make it easy on everyone,....
If you can read a map,you can read a wiring diagram.
Installing and knowing local and federal electrical codes is better left to the real electricians.
Where is ?"wirenut"

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Now that the story is told, does anyone know the process for becoming licensed and/or process to work on electric signs in TX, to where electrical signs can be worked on without having a master electrician on site?

I understand the concept that electricians have to have X number of hours to be a master electrician, which is when you can do the work without supervision.

what my specific question is, does the same number of hours and time that is required to be a master electrician also to same for a sign licence since they are different licences.

Depends on the city, county and state req's. Check with your local chamber of commerce, they ussually have a starting point to becoming certified as an electrician.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Go the the Texas contractors licensing website... they will give you exact specifics...

Texas is an extremely strict state. You have to be a licensed master electrician or sign electrician to DESIGN an electrical sign... that law makes no sense at all. Good luck...

Last edited: