• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bought used Roland PLEASE HELP!

UtahSupra

I had all the facts :peace!:

Dude bought a printer without any idea if it worked. If he was buying it as a parts machine, then he wouldn't be worrying about it printing. It's pretty obvious that he is not familiar with this type of technology, as he had no idea what the possible issues he was facing were (i.e., head dried out, air in lines - all simple, first thought things to anyone with knowledge of the technology).

OP didn't invest in anything. He gambled. There's a difference.
Your right, I'm wrong! :notworthy: Could've swore that I posted this as a "please help" topic though and not a topic for advice on buying used machines. Tell you what I'll do though, I'll make another post in the general forums asking about buying advice, and you can litter that thread with jackwagon-ness!

UtahSupra

I did have the Ethernet ran through a 5 port switch via patch cables, but I think I'm going to go pick up a crossover after lunch and see if I can eliminate the problem that way by going directly to the Roland.

Also, a little more info on the sale. I got the unit from a buyer who has done recent (3 weeks or so) work on it that I have seen, so I didn't go in entirely blind..

Fatboy

:Welcome::U Rock:
Your right, I'm wrong! :notworthy: Could've swore that I posted this as a "please help" topic though and not a topic for advice on buying used machines. Tell you what I'll do though, I'll make another post in the general forums asking about buying advice, and you can litter that thread with jackwagon-ness!

Circleville Signs

I know I'm right and you're wrong. You know how I know? Because I actually have experience in this industry. I also don't expect strangers who are somewhat busy in their own worlds to just fix my stupidity.

Make as many threads as you like - if your attitude stays the way it has so far, you're not gonna get much help.

Fatboy

I know I'm right and you're wrong. You know how I know? Because I actually have experience in this industry. I also don't expect strangers who are somewhat busy in their own worlds to just fix my stupidity.

Make as many threads as you like - if your attitude stays the way it has so far, you're not gonna get much help.

How do you know all of his info about OP ?

Circleville Signs

If you see a dirty guy walk down the street, crawl into a cardboard box, sleep there, and then come out in the morning - he MIGHT not be homeless...But it's a pretty safe assumption.

UtahSupra

If I can count on all YOUR "advice" being this helpful, maybe not getting much more wouldn't be a bad thing..?? Just thinking out loud..:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for all the real advice from everyone else!! I think I've got a great place to start.:thankyou:

Fatboy

If you see a dirty guy walk down the street, crawl into a cardboard box, sleep there, and then come out in the morning - he MIGHT not be homeless...But it's a pretty safe assumption.

LOL @Garry. Way to self-opinionated for your own good sometimes. But its cool cause I realise you know what you talking about!:rock-n-roll:

bois323

I did have the Ethernet ran through a 5 port switch via patch cables, but I think I'm going to go pick up a crossover after lunch and see if I can eliminate the problem that way by going directly to the Roland.

Also, a little more info on the sale. I got the unit from a buyer who has done recent (3 weeks or so) work on it that I have seen, so I didn't go in entirely blind..

You didn't mention if you checked the IP Address of the printer. It might still be set to the previous owners address. I know when I set my IP address it when back to the old IP, it took me a half hour to figure out what had happened. Hasn't done it since. That would explain your connection problems. I don't think a crossover will make any difference.

As for the heads: my opinion would be that you have air in the lines not a head problem.

A final word of advice, I know this forum is suppose to be a help forum but some people can't help to take time of their somewhat busy schedule to post stupidity, so don't let it get to you. P.S. Look throught the threads, it's always the same 4 people with the arrogant responses. I have experience...blah,blah,blah...

Good luck

Fatboy

The more I think about it......get a technician in to set your machine up properly.You already bought it for a bargain,so spent some cash and it might be 100%.Those are good,solid machines.
Good Luck

UtahSupra

I went home at lunch with a crossover cable, went directly from Windows 7 x64 laptop to printer and still got nothing. I then tried an old desktop I had lying around the house opened up NetTool and it worked right away. I opened up the printer control panel matched it to my laptops setting (except for the last digit of the IP) but had to run. I'm pretty sure though that even now that I've changed to the correct settings for my laptop it's not going to pick it up. I can't imagine NetTool wouldn't find the IP but work with VersaWorks but I'll try it as soon as I get back...

Also, good advice on the service tech, that's definitely the smart thing to do.

Letterbox Mike

I won't speak to the connectivity issue since your particular device is something I'm unfamilar with, but regarding the not printing issue, step 1 is to see if there is any ink in the dampers or lines. You'll need to remove the plastic shroud that covers the heads, the dampers are little milky white "tanks" sitting on top of the head. If this machine is 6 color there will be 12 of them, each will have an ink line running into them. These should have ink in them, about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. If not, the heads are not getting ink, or it's dried up. What this means is more than likely the heads are shot. Depending on how long the machine has been sitting they may be recoverable but my guess is they won't be. If it needs new heads, the last I checked DX4s were about $1000 ea. for an OEM Epson head, aftermarket non-OEM heads were about $750 (I would go with genuine Epson heads). If you don't know how to install them and align them, you'll need a tech to do the job, I'd guess any decent tech is going to be anywhere from $2500-$3500 to install all 6. You'll need to do new dampers at the same time, and you will almost definitely also need new pumps. While you're at it, replace the capping station as well. You're looking at another $1200-ish there for parts and labor for all of that. If your ink lines are dried up they'll need to be replaced too, that's another couple hundred in parts and labor.

Beyond heads just being dried up, your problem could be electronic. Could be as simple as head data cables or carriage data cable, or as complex as a main board failure or slider board. This could be a hundred bucks for data cables to $2k+ for main/slider boards, plus labor.

Good luck, it's not going to be cheap unfortunately...

UtahSupra

I won't speak to the connectivity issue since your particular device is something I'm unfamilar with, but regarding the not printing issue, step 1 is to see if there is any ink in the dampers or lines. You'll need to remove the plastic shroud that covers the heads, the dampers are little milky white "tanks" sitting on top of the head. If this machine is 6 color there will be 12 of them, each will have an ink line running into them. These should have ink in them, about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. If not, the heads are not getting ink, or it's dried up. What this means is more than likely the heads are shot. Depending on how long the machine has been sitting they may be recoverable but my guess is they won't be. If it needs new heads, the last I checked DX4s were about $1000 ea. for an OEM Epson head, aftermarket non-OEM heads were about $750 (I would go with genuine Epson heads). If you don't know how to install them and align them, you'll need a tech to do the job, I'd guess any decent tech is going to be anywhere from $2500-$3500 to install all 6. You'll need to do new dampers at the same time, and you will almost definitely also need new pumps. While you're at it, replace the capping station as well. You're looking at another $1200-ish there for parts and labor for all of that. If your ink lines are dried up they'll need to be replaced too, that's another couple hundred in parts and labor.

Beyond heads just being dried up, your problem could be electronic. Could be as simple as head data cables or carriage data cable, or as complex as a main board failure or slider board. This could be a hundred bucks for data cables to $2k+ for main/slider boards, plus labor.

Good luck, it's not going to be cheap unfortunately...

Thanks tons for the great info! I checked the dampeners and they all seem to be exactly as you say about a half to a third the very left two however look like they might be fuller maybe even three quarters to completely full.. What does that mean?? It probably doesn't mean too much but when I hold the test print button it does a QUICK try at it but the more I think about it it should maybe do a longer test print.. It does kinda a quick little Z shaped attempt at a print. I also trying the syringe trick on the lines out of the magenta one I got ink out of the rest I got nothing but I did get a ton of air not like a seal or anything..

otctech

I also trying the syringe trick on the lines out of the magenta one I got ink out of the rest I got nothing but I did get a ton of air not like a seal or anything..

Cap tops. I would try to clean all of you cap tops then pull ink with a syringe. You should get solid ink with no air at all. If you still get air you need to replace your cap tops.

UtahSupra

**UPDATE**
I took everyones advice on the cleaning the cap tops and syringe trick one more time. I immaculately clean around all the cap tops with an alcohol solution, re-aligned a few of them that seemed to be jarred a bit and still nothing. So, I decide to try and pull more with the syringe I spent quite a while doing this with no luck except for one head. So I got out the trusty Dyson with the mentality I couldn't really hurt it TOO much more and began drawing ink from the cap tops. Some of them worked very quickly under a little more pressure some of them took a minute or two, but ALL of them I got a good steady ink stream from, and VIOLA she prints again. Its not by any stretch of my imagination that those are what the prints are supposed to look like, but its huge start.

Where can I go next to begin diagnosing problems with banding and blurring images??

Also, still cant got my windows 7 laptop to acknowledge the printer whatsoever. My older PC will but not the laptop, I've tried setting it up to the laptops IP, gateway, and such and still nothing. I've tried pinging the adress from my laptop and am getting a "delivery host unreachable" error, any help on this would be spectacular..

rjssigns

Good save. You apparently think like me. Wife always asks what I'm doing. I tell her it's broke, can't possibly make it any worse.:rolleyes:

1/2-4CR3

Excuse me ma'am, you need to calm down and have yourself another hoagie.