• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brick Wall Mural

3M Graphics

Merchant Member
Both IJ8624/8524 and 480Cv3/8548G are great choices. 3M™ Envision™ Print Wrap Film 480Cv3 installs at 3 inches per second, which is 50% faster than IJ8624. One additional thing to consider is that IJ8624 is compatible with more printer and ink sets (480Cv3 is compatible with latex, UV, some eco-solvent and solvent).

Watch this video to see how simply and quickly 480Cv3 conforms to a brick wall. You may also want to reference this piece about applying graphic film to rough walls.

You’ll find compatible printer profiles for each media and 3M Warranty Matrices for warranted printer/ink combinations on our website: www.3Mgraphics.com

Tim Boxeth,
Business Manager

Last edited:

signman99

Wall Sign

I have a customer wanting to do a mural on a brick wall (image attached). I have never done an install on brick before and have never used any type of brick wall vinyl material. I know Arlon, Mactac and 3M (probably others) make vinyls specifically for this application. How well do these materials work? What type of longevity should I be expecting (6 months to 3 years?). Also, as shown in the picture there are several runs of conduit going vertically up the building, are these going to cause problems or should I be able to work the vinyl over top of these with no problems? Any input would be appreciated.

Find a Wall Dog! I am one, but I don't think your customer would want to pay for my travel from southern Missouri.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Both IJ8624/8524 and 480Cv3/8548G are great choices. 3M™ Envision™ Print Wrap Film 480Cv3 installs at 3 inches per second, which is 50% faster than IJ8624. One additional thing to consider is that IJ8624 is compatible with more printer and ink sets (480Cv3 is compatible with latex, UV, some eco-solvent and solvent).

Watch this video to see how simply and quickly 480Cv3 conforms to a brick wall. You may also want to reference this piece about applying graphic film to rough walls.

You’ll find compatible printer profiles for each media and 3M Warranty Matrices for warranted printer/ink combinations on our website: www.3Mgraphics.com

Tim Boxeth,
Business Manager

If it really goes that well, that's better than chocolate cake. :thumb:

VTSigns

Just found out that they are looking for this mural to last only 1 year. So paint isn't going to be an option.

I was required to give them the 3M bulletin for 8624 and apparently it mentions that freeze zones could cause problems and also that there could also be a problem with mold from water seepage. I can't imagine either of these being a problem, am I wrong? I am also assuming these leave no residue (or damage of any kind) behind on the brick wall after removal?

Craig Sjoquist

Sell it with vinyl .. but sell to take it off in a year also .. then you get knowledge also

I would dislike seeing vinyl on a wall that should have been painted..

Vinyl just does not have a good image when it starts to fail & just gets worse as time goes on, also harder to remove.

HulkSmash

Tim Boxeth,
Business Manager

interesting, i've heard from experienced installers that it doesn't work as well as the regular textured wall vinyl and lam.

ol'phart

Vinyl letters and prints are great but not in this situation. Hire an old wall dog and you will learn something. Sign making was an art form at one time.

HulkSmash

he just said he's not painting it. You can hire a wall dog and learn something, or wrap it and teach a wall dog something...

ProWraps

vinyl is removable. paint isnt. at least not as easy. just another thought. i think painting it would be my prefered choice. hell with wrapping that in a textured surface app. WAY TOO MUCH WORK.

Pat Whatley

Just out of curiosity, without seeing a layout or knowing what they're looking for how can anybody recommend paint over vinyl? Especially in a short term situation like this.

ProWraps

Just out of curiosity, without seeing a layout or knowing what they're looking for how can anybody recommend paint over vinyl? Especially in a short term situation like this.

not really to much of a short term. 1 year is legit as far as its not a week long campaign or something of the such. as a wrap company, that to us is "short term" in the world we live in.

i respect the wall dog approach as well, hell, its beautiful art. on the wrap side, i know what that would take to install correctly. arlon 8000 is not the answer. trust me, im probably the largest buyer of it in the US (big client we go through miles with every month). 8000 is a calendared material that wont do what it takes to do a surface like that. its dimensional stability is that of a jelly fish on a hot sidewalk.

its a textured surface application. which is very, very labor intensive.

at the end of the day. love the romanticism of the wall dog approach, but the answer lies with the customer/client.

so vinyl it is.

3m textured surface vinyl with the corresponding thin cast lam.

get the rollers (stupid expensive), and be prepared to crap yourself when you see your production drop square footage wise. but if the customer knows this going into it, AND you charge accordingly, you will win and TSV is your answer.

Joe Diaz

Because typically paint is a better solution for a wall like that, especially if longevity is a concern. Now the OP didn't say 1 year until much later in the thread, the first post he seemed concerned about how long it would last, so my guess is that was the driving force for the majority of folks that suggested paint. More than a few years, and paint would be the best solution. It's like suggesting cast over calendared for vehicle graphics. :thumb:

Heck, if it were a simple enough design considering the labor and overhead to wrap a wall properly, paint could even be a more cost effective option. The only reason you wouldn't want to is if you don't want to cover the brick with something a bit more permanent.

Another advantage of hand painted mural, even for a promotion, is that hand painted murals gather crowds and buzz while you are working on them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As Joe just mentioned, we now know the job is only for a year. I can't imagine why you'd wanna paint or wrap this wall. If it's only for a year, why not just put a few pieces of dibond up or even Cor-X ??

If the guy rents, he might not be allowed to paint for fear of defacing the property if he leaves. Also, who wants a bead of caulk on their wall when the sign comes down ??

My first question would be, does this customer have permission from codes to do this in the first place ??

VTSigns

Just wanted to post an update for this project. Finished it up today. 6'x16' graphic took about 2 hours. We used the new Envision Wrap material and it ended up being pretty easy. The material seemed to be sticking really well. Had to buy the TSA-4 roller from 3M which was a total rip off but worked really good.

Attachments

• uFJrYWJC8KhTE1dk5JvdfFVdsDZNLIPKGhb5-ibGx6c.jpg
    uFJrYWJC8KhTE1dk5JvdfFVdsDZNLIPKGhb5-ibGx6c.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 110