• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles in foil 2 days after application

AUTO-FX

why couldnt you force it dry with some heat and air movement? it IS only latex right? or do you think that clear coat is really holding in a lot of mositure?

Techman

those big old wrinkles on the E are not gassing problems.

The rest of those bubbles look like compression problems.

joeshaul

FDC redistributes similar to Grocery stores with their "Great Value" "Kroger" "Sams Choice", etc at a discounted rate, I think they might make some of their own, but haven't really done much research. Sometimes it's an issue if you're looking to avoid a specific brand, but I don't know their warranty process, they might warranty everything themselves. I know they stocked some Avery "chameleon" vinyl that I was looking to buy at one time, but decided to stay away from due to its high price and lack of real use. I wanted it cause it looked really snazzy and was trying to figure out how I could pitch it to people and decided it was too much work!

Taken from FDC's website:
Offering a range of FDC® and major-manufacturer branded products sold exclusively through distribution, FDC makes it simple – no order minimums and no up charges.

Steve Werner

Creative Film Corporation makes some great special effect laminates in chromes, brushed, etc. Owned by the gentleman who sold R-Tape their chrome and special vinyls line. His non compete ran out and he started another company doing the same thing.

ddubia

iSign, another great idea I wished I'd thought of doing.

Marlene, Yet another great idea. I guess we were just hung up on what the customer wanted which was for us to recreate the same thing he had.

MikePro, we waited three days for the latex before the clear coat. Then another day for that before application. It's just too dang humid here right now and like most of you I believe the outgassing is the major problem.

AUTO FX, I think the foil is holding the moisture now.

Techman, you are right about the compression problems on the "E". I was dead tired when I applied that "E" and made it a point to start at the vertical stroke so each horizontal stroke could fall as it wanted. But then, as tired as I was and working so late, I started application at the end of the horizontal strokes toward the vertical. I was cussing myself as I got half-way through it almost knowing that it was going to become an issue.

joeshaul, enlightening information on FDC. I knew none of that. I have had very little experience with foils. What I did have caused me to stay away from it as much as I could. We've only used it a few times on some truck stuff and that worked out ok but a pain regardless.

Steve, good information too.

This sign should be done tomorrow. I'll post a pic unless it's embarrassing. lol

Malkin

My understanding is that FDC manufactures little to none of their own products.
I have used their rebranded 3M 7125 series vinyl and the Rtape Vinyl FX (sold thru Grimco and probably others) with no issues.

Good luck on that project!

Letterbox Mike

Is their time to remove the chrome and gild the raised areas with silver or white gold leaf? I'm sure that blows your budget and would be cutting the deadline super close but that's about the only thing with a "chrome" finish I'd trust outdoors short of real metal. I've had and seen too much metalized polyester film fail outdoors to trust it at all.