Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Business Card Layout

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by Dentafrice, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Dentafrice

Dentafrice Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Well here's one of my first designs. I've never been a designer, but have always wanted to attempt it.

I'm 16 years old and just starting out, so please tell me what I overused, left out, shouldn't be there.. or if you just don't like it at all please tell me.

I was wanting something sort of eye catching and mysterious on the front, but informational on the back.

The front, you can turn either way to read "Mingle Graphics", but it's sort of hidden in there.

1st:
    [​IMG]

2nd:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    looks like the only way to read mingle graphics on the front is if its upside-down...maybe reverse that? And maybe on the side of the back do mingle then graphics instead of mingle over and over again...also, why use dentafrice.com if your email and business name are mingle related?

3. Dentafrice

Dentafrice Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I'm in the process of buying a few domains, haven't got around to that part yet. Just doing the designing of the business cards right now.

I had it last night printed out and I could read it both ways, I'll mess around with it.

But what about the concept?

4. Dentafrice

Dentafrice Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Updated it and tried to fix what you said.

5. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    16? You are doing a great job with such little experience, keep up the hard work, and you'll go far.

My only advice coincides with what was said above. Maybe try using a different type face. It might help.

6. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    looks better, typeface advise is good, but on the back, dont use the upsidedown thingy, just do
    mingle
    graphics
    mingle
    graphics
    etc

7. Dentafrice

Dentafrice Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I've been an entrepreneur since I was around 12. Started programming websites (PHP, MySQL database design), and worked for an in-development social network for a while.

I started out doing some vinyl lettering and custom things using Oracle vinyl, and believe it or not.. a Cricut expression. Made around $800 in profit this way, until I had enough capital to upgrade to a new vinyl cutter.

End of my story, hopefully I'll do okay :p

Should I do it straight like you suggested, or should I do it angled? (wasn't sure if you was saying do the same angle idea, just not upside down).

8. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
  9. signgal

signgal Very Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    +1 on what cpt said (and he knows!)

looking at your revised work... I'd leave the front muted like you had it with one complete "mingle graphics" darker to stand out and make the contact info on the other side, which is darker... even darker, so it's easier to read.

This is a super classy look and unusually "mature" for someone of your age! Keep up the good work!

10. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    oh, and for the community's sake, attach new images instead of updating the old one, so we can watch the progression

11. Dentafrice

Dentafrice Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Sorry to question, but could you go further into detail on what you mean by the front muted? And one complete Mingle Graphics?

Just added the original back to the top.

Thanks!

12. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    signgal meant that the blacks you are using seem to be muted greys - make one full mingle graphics black to stand out...

13. Dentafrice

Dentafrice Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Sorta like this?

[​IMG]

14. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    our own Padawan, how cool is it that you are 16. the back has potential. the repeat pattern on the right hand side looks OK there. on the front, it just isn't cutting it. the stencil font isn't a great choice either.

15. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    My comment relates to this "kid"......The world needs more just like him.....

16. Dentafrice

Dentafrice Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I'm having a hard time picking out a font for this. Driving me up the wall!

Do you have any idea for the front? instead of that repeat pattern?

I was just wanting something sort of "new age" and classy on the front, and then straight to the money on the back.

17. netfryer

netfryer Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Iowa
    Are you wanting to stick with greyscale, or is tossing in a splash of color an option?

18. signgal

signgal Very Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    ok, maybe try cooper or the like. Kind of the same feel as the stencil and yes, that is what i meant but it doesn't work with the double line. Try making "mingle graphics" in one continuous line and then use that effect. see how you like that.

19. Dentafrice

Dentafrice Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Color would be nice, I just don't know how comfortable I feel at the moment with my design level to start mixing and matching with colors..

I'll try cooper and post my results. Thanks!

20. netfryer

netfryer Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Iowa
    Try and make the "MINGLE GRAPHICS" a vibrant color so it draws focus and pops more in contrast to the greyscale background of words.