• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bypass the router?

Double Diamond

Due to small town internet provider problems, we need to know if there is a way to connect the printer to the computer without going through the router. Sometimes the printer stops mid print because the router or our internet has a problem, so why not go around the router?
Does it need to be on-line? Is it comunicating on-line without my permission?
If there are archived discussions, please direct me there.
Thanks, DD

SignProPlus-Chip

Due to small town internet provider problems, we need to know if there is a way to connect the printer to the computer without going through the router. Sometimes the printer stops mid print because the router or our internet has a problem, so why not go around the router?
Does it need to be on-line? Is it comunicating on-line without my permission?
If there are archived discussions, please direct me there.
Thanks, DD

Connect using a hub, or a crossover cable.

You can buy them online, or make your own

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-CAT5E-Crossover-Cable-10ft/dp/B000067RFT

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

Techman

My entire internal network goes through the linksys switch. It cost all of about 30 bux.. That if the internet goes down I still have a working network.

Stop sending your rips over your network, switch to a dedicated rip machine with duel NIC cards one connected to your networked files and one crossed over to your printer, unless using W7 OS just use a standard networking cable and the OS will handle the crossover. With multiple machines and equipment running on one network things can get a little bogged down and printers will not handle the packet loss. Had a similar problem until rebuilding my network.

Double Diamond

Thank you all very much. I will look into a hub or cable. This will save us money on stopped prints, headaches and stress!!!
Ya'll are great!
Thanks again from Texas!!! DD:thankyou:

mopar691

Stop sending your rips over your network, switch to a dedicated rip machine with duel NIC cards one connected to your networked files and one crossed over to your printer, unless using W7 OS just use a standard networking cable and the OS will handle the crossover. With multiple machines and equipment running on one network things can get a little bogged down and printers will not handle the packet loss. Had a similar problem until rebuilding my network.

Wow, Excellent Idea. I'm going to throw another card in right now. Thanks!!!

So simple I overlooked it. I don't have many problems but am always worried about coming in and seeing a prob.

34Ford

I found out my Asus motherboard has 2 lan ports.

Now I need to figure out how to configure it thru win7.

SignBurst PCs

+1 This is the ideal way to connect an Ethernet printer to the RIP computer. The only change I would make is that there is usually no reason to use a crossover. A regular Ethernet cable is usually fine, even with older Operating Systems. Most Ethernet adapters (NICs) are auto-sensing and will manage the crossover if it is needed.

SignBurst PCs

I found out my Asus motherboard has 2 lan ports.

Now I need to figure out how to configure it thru win7.

This is easy:

1. Type "View Network" into you search bar and choose "View Network Connections" (or go the long way through Control Panel).

2. Right-Click the newly used connection (probably will say something about unidentified network if you have it connected to the printer), and choose "Properties".

3. Double-click Internet Protocol V4 (TCP-IP V4) in the list. I would recommend setting the IP address to 10.0.0.10 and the Subnet Mask to 255.0.0.0 in most cases. The rest can be left blank. Click OK.

4. Change the IP address on your printer. This can usually be done though the menu. Being that there are so many different printers, I am going to leave this up to you, but if you are not sure, check your manual. Change the IP address on the printer to 10.0.0.20 and the Subnet Mask to 255.0.0.0 and the rest of the setting can usually be left blank. Save the settings.

Make notes of the IP addresses for future reference and troubleshooting. Also, change IP address settings in your RIP software as needed.

You should be all set.

NOTE: I use the 10.0.0.x Subnet in order to keep the printer traffic completely separate from most private network ranges. The majority of private networks are on the 192.168.x.x and you don't want your RIP computer getting confused about where to send the printer data. Basically, you don't want your RIP computer trying to send the print job out to the wrong network (or the Internet). You can use other private IP ranges, but I find the 10.0.0.x to work fine in most cases.

Last edited:

anotherdog

or you could fix your broken router/network...something you will have to do anyway.

Your network should run without the internet.
How will you print signage if there is a Nuclear war or an outbreak of Zombies?

34Ford

Works! Thanks Casey.

I was confused as my local area connections shows both a TCP/IPv6 and a TCP/IPv4.

This router I am using is a Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt installed and its setup as a repeater thats talking to my house with another stock WRT54G.:thumb:

SignBurst PCs

Works! Thanks Casey.

I was confused as my local area connections shows both a TCP/IPv6 and a TCP/IPv4.

This router I am using is a Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt installed and its setup as a repeater thats talking to my house with another stock WRT54G.:thumb:

Dennis, you are very welcome. I am glad that I could help.