• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

C: Drive is full?

zmatalucci

Alright techies, I'm computer literate until we get to the insides of them, and I think I'm headed in that direction. Today I was flipping through my computer and noticed that my C:drive has 149gb of used space, and only 22.3 gb left.
What should I do?

N2Harpz

Buy a new hard drive and slave it in as extra storage. Pretty simple to do. Windows will pick it up automatic.

SignBurst PCs

I would really doubt that all that space is being taken up by programs. It is most likely files in your "My Documents" folder, "Desktop", RIP cahches, etc.

You can run a "disk cleanup" and see how far that gets you.

You can also clear out old files in your RIP software (it will keep a cache of the most recently used files).

N2Harpz

Yea .... you got some hiding somewhere. How many Fonts do you have? Recycle bin, temp files.... start looking around.

TheSnowman

I've never deleted anything from my recycle bin in probably a year or more...there's like 5 gig in there, but I've had to dig in there before, so I don't delete it till' I have to. If it were me, I'd prob. keep running till' I only had like 10 gig left. I don't do a ton of high res stuff though, just every now and then.

Jeremy092288

Use the search feature on in windows... search for *.* .......... then arrange by file size... take the largest files and back them up if you don't need them.... There are probably a couple of file that are huge and you can burn them to DVD or put them on a NAS....

zmatalucci

I gotta say you guys are probably right, since i'm retarded when it comes to this. But I think I'm going to purchase another computer for designing, and I will keep this one for a rip. Here are the programs I currently have installed:
Adobe Cs3 Suite
Flexi8-Production Manager
Mcafee
CorelX3
Versaworks
IE
OE
and many other small aps.
I think I'm overloaded. She still works great with no problems, but I'm obviously stretched too thin. Any suggestions for a new computer?

GK

FolderSizes I got this a while back to see where the large amounts of files are allocated across our network in the office and I love it. Really helps to analyze your storage especially once you cross into the terabytes of storage and backups. They also make an application called Duplicate File Detective, and it does just that. Its amazing how many duplicates you can find sometimes.

cdiesel

Yep, delete the files from your RIP queue. VW will save them (and the RIP files are sometimes 4x larger than the original source file) until you delete them. It's a good place to start.

flyinhawaiian968

os101king

I run multitudes of externals. Keep my main drive(s) for programs and externals for finished work. Works well. I use CCleaner as well (just google it)... does the same as those other programs, deep temp file cleans as well as registry cleans.

I'm gonna try that Cache Cleaner myself... I find Flexi gets finicky when I'm processing 2G photoshop files simultaneously while printing. I purge PS's cache regularly while I'm running it, but with that you can monitor real-time.