Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I speak to the person in charge of your phone bill?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Graphics2u, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    How many of you get these calls? I get at least 3 - 5 a week. Today was a record! I got 3 in one day! I'm so tired of this. I'm usually polite and say no thanks and hang up, but it's getting to the point where they won't take that any more. One of them called me back 30 seconds after I hung up and asked "why did you hang up on me?" I'm serious HE CALLED ME BACK.

They always say something like "I'm calling on behalf of Qwest". So if it's on behalf of Qwest, You're not Qwest. Who can you report these people too? :banghead:

Tags:
  2. Poconopete

Poconopete Very Active Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Just say "I'm sorry, she's doing 25 - life for the attempted murder of a phone solicitor..."

3. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    You tell them "Take me off your list" if they call back again after that its a violation of the Telemarketing Act of 1997 and you report them to the FCC. Go to www.FCC.gov they have a reporting section. They will fine them pretty heavily for each offense.

I know all this first hand as I managed a phone room doing this same stuff your complaining about after high school. I know we used to get 10-12 fines a day.

4. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    I'll check that out. Thanks

5. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    airhorn into phone. works everytime. just go buy one at walmart in the boating section.

6. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Not if it's a business line. If you publish your phone number as a business, you have invited the telemarketers...

a lot of them will actually take you off their list if you ask them too... but some won't... I have a persistent one from Verizon that I just say "Sure... hold on a minute and I'll get them for you..." then just leave the line on hold.

7. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    The removal from the list protects you regardless of whether your a business or a personal line. Now it doesn't stop them from giving the list to another company. Just stops that one company from calling you back. We used to "sell" our "Refusal" lists to another company that was actually owned by the same owners. Just so we could keep on calling. We just all logged our hours under the sister company and kept right on calling. XYZ Telemarketing became ABC telemarketing with the same employees and address.

You can also register your business on a Do Not Call list. The FCC has a separate Do Not Call list for business lines.

8. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    we always seem to get people wanting to talk to us about our credit card processing. about 2-3 a week I would say. I usually let them ramble on and set the phone down and get back to work, come back in 10 minutes and they are gone.

9. SAS

SAS Active Member

Aug 23, 2005
    NC
    Hi, I'm John from the yellow pages, I just need to update your listing.
    I know it's someone from India and the damn phone echo's I can't understand a word that comes out of there mouth.
    I received two calls from this number ( 201-405-0880 ) today but when I called it back I get this number is not in service. They have been calling two times a day for the past week it's a auto dialer is take a few seconds before someone starts talking . I'm getting a airhorn because we are now at war. I like that idea and it's cheaper than going to India to look for John.

10. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008

Have you tried "can you hear me now?", "can you f'n hear me now?" etc.

11. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I tell tell them I am very interested in their service, but the other line is ringing and can I put them on hold...... I dont come back for quite some time. hehehe

12. Slamdunkpro

Slamdunkpro Member

Dec 18, 2009
    No, you may not. *click*

I'm always amazed how many people feel the need to justify or explain themselves to telemarketers, solicitors or store clerks when they ask for personal info. A ckeckout clerk asked me for my zipcode the other day and I smiled and said, "No,I decline to participate." From his reaction you'd have thought I just sucker punched him. Do your own marketing research or pay me for mine. Want my zip code/address/phone#/whatever? Pony up a couple of hundreds and we'll talk.

13. hatmanok

hatmanok Member

Mar 15, 2008
    I just tell them that I am getting ready to retire. What can they say but good luck. Works every time.

14. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    I usually say "No!" ... then there is a pause and they ask again, then I say "What part of "No!" don't you f'n understand?"

They don't call back.

15. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    resist... must resist...
    ummmmmm, dammit i can't..

so, you were a telemarketer?
    no wonder you have set a record around here of patience & persistence amidst near unanimous oppression :notworthy:

(meaning... back in the day... when you were new here :toasting:)

16. binki

binki Premium Subscriber

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    We get a couple a month. I normally hang up on them but they call right back. I tell them the last person that called me was reported to the FCC and PUC and was fired and they hang up after that. We also get the walk-in sales person every 3 months or so.

We get the same thing for credit card processing. They call saying they are from 'Merchant Services'. What they don't tell you is they are not from OUR Merchant Service.

17. Melissam2505

Melissam2505 Member

May 4, 2010
    Victor, ID
    I get around 3-4 a day. Do not call list did not work for my business, and I really don't have time to report all of them who don't follow the rules.

Today someone called and said I would like to speak with who is in charge of your quickbooks. I said, I dont have quickbooks. They hung up on me. I wanted to call them back and yell.

Qwest was the worst until I got pretty nasty.

18. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Im actually amazed there are still telemarketers around. I mena who the hell actually talks to any of them. credit card machines, phone companies, unknown numbers. i always just hang up in their face, i didnt invite the call I owe them nothing esspecially the "Good day Mr Ward how how you today sir?....you can see it coming a mile away.

Hey dude get a real %^$*&^ job!

19. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    This is getting hard to watch.

20. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    There is a credit card processing reseller here in town. I had to letter the door to their office one day and while standing there waiting for payment I wandered over to the "call center". There were 8-10 people sitting there with the white pages business listings just going straight down the list calling businesses and checking them off. Their "list" was the phone book.