• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

canceling cell phone

dlndesign

I need some help, I need to get out of my contract with t-mobile, has anyone tried to get out. My contract is up in June, but I need to get out sooner because of i$$ues. Any information is helpful, thanks.

mark in tx

Ask them to suspend the account, that usually only involves a small maintenance fee every month, then cancel at the end of contract, and hopefully avoid the penalty.

Mosh

I think if you read the fine print there is a $250 buy out option, other than that you signed up so you owe the $$$. Pay it, unless you don't care about your credit.

MITCHATEXOTIC

Carriers vary

If you are going to a different provider ask them.Our new "V" provider worded an email to our old "n" provider in a way that basically informed them that they were in breach of that contract by not providing me with good service, which they were contractually obligated to give.At which point they released me and "V" provider has since given me fine service

dlndesign

I am not sure if I will go to another provider. But could I use that to get out of a contract without having to sign up with another carrier? Also, has anyone suspended an account, how does that work out? I am also considering dropping to the lowest minutes without anything else on my plan to scape by the next few months with it.

Thanks.

Mosh

Just get a job and make the payment. Then you will have a phone and not have to worry about it. There are lots of jobs out there, just people think they are over qualified to do most of them. I tell you what, if I was flat broke and couldn't find a job I liked McDonald's is ALWAYS hiring!!!!

nbarrett

If you suspend your account, then it will keep pushing back your contract end date by however many months you suspend it. So if you do it for 2 months then your contract will not end until August.

veloxgraphics

Get on their site, start looking up coverage areas. Pick a city far outside their coverage area. Call and tell them you are moving there, and ask if their service works there. They will say no, because all the CSR's do is the zipcode lookup like you just did.

Then tell them you'd like to cancel with no fees or penalties based on their admission that they cannot provide you with the contractually obligated services. Worked like a charm for me!

Techman

Instead of checking with our resident jail house lawyers. Why not find out from them exactly what the penalty would be. I could be very low considering its near the end anyway. There are plenty of recent new rules concerning cell phones and termination fees. The cell co's are losing lots of class action suits over these fees and other rip off deals.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Careful with contracts,
I had a two year agreement with Verizon for my landline business phone. I switched to a lower cost Verizon reseller five days before my contract was up by mistake. The fee was $300 and they wouldn't budge a bit. Good thing the new carrier paid it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Call them back and tell them you can't afford the $200 per line fee. Ask for a supervisor. Is there anything they could do to help you ?? You didn't plan to quit, but you absolutely must. If they still don't offer anything off, ask them if you could set up a payment plan at a reduced fee over a greater period of time than your contract states.

Lay it on the line with them. You wanna pay it off and not be a deadbeat, but you can't do it with the present terms. At least you came to them to prevent a problem rather than waiting until it was too late and you give them the shaft.

Pat Whatley

When we asked about doing the same thing the catch was that we'd gotten the "FREE" $300 cell phones. They had no problem letting us out of the contract because there wasn't service available in our area but we were going to have to pay for the phones. I ended up just having to suck it up and pay the last four months of service, it was cheaper that way.

I wish we were out of our current contract. There's a Verizon reseller up the street offering unlimited calling, unlimited text, and 40mb of Internet for $40.

jiarby

check on howardforums.com in the Carriers-TMobile section. It is watched by a few TMO weenies that can advise you the right words to say to get them to let you out.

artist4christ

The FCC did insitute new ETF regulations, your ETF should be based on how much of your contract has been fufilled. That was the last I heard whether or not it is retroactive I'm not sure.