• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon Colorado M Series.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
I have the UJV100-160 but don't like the quality and looking for a backup and for when it's busy
are you looking to purchase the unit directly from Canon or through a distributor? If your volume isn't huge, and you don't want white, then you've got two basic options - the M3 Base and the M3 Pro. The Pro gives you the ability to use both supply stations in the drawer and to print in matte and gloss modes. The inks usually have at least 6 months before expiring....I don't have many customers ever asking to help them with expiring ink in the machine.....occassionally someone will hit me up to swap inks with someone else, but many times they wait till only a few weeks are left and that is a tough spot for me...but if I can get at least 6 weeks I can nearly always go to my bigger volume users and do a trade.

Working with a distributor will at least give you the option to swap inks with other users who can put ink close to expiration to use.

Despite it being a big investment, the Colorado can grow with your production needs...so when you need more firepower, you can write another check and get it within the same machine. That aspect is very cool. You should also run the numbers through Canon Financial for a low monthly payment.

I will likely have one unit available in January should you want a quote on it. If you are already working with another distributor, then I'll stand down as a local support network is usually a better investment....you are welcome to send me your quote and I can at least keep whomever gave you the quote honest.

alexsgo

I wouldn't, that platform is a hot mess. I have had every generation of latex up to the 800W, earlier this year we moved off that platform and over to the M Series due to constant issues dealing with HP and Bell & Howell.
we were on L25500 and after that we switched to Epson ecosolvent. Now we are in the situation of changing the printer and considering the Epson S80600, HP 700W and CANON 1630. Canon is more of a wish than a reality because I don't think we have enough production, but never say never. Thanks for your comment.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I know three shops that converted from Latex and they love it... I looked at the print quality and it's superior to most other printers short of the solvents

bpp

That's what I bought as a backup to my Colorado 1650, Epson R5070L. I'll start using it next week and will post a comparison
It looks like I'm going with the Epson R5070. My dealer says it runs about .22 sqft. Can anyone confirm? I just ran some numbers on my mimaki UJV100-160 does it make sense I was running at .39 sqf?

Last edited:

victor bogdanov

If looks like I'm going with the Epson R5070. My dealer says it runs about .22 sqft. Can anyone confirm? I just ran some numbers on my mimaki UJV100-160 does it make sense I was running at .39 sqf?
I haven't checked yet on my machine but I've seen real ink use stats and it came out to about 15 cents/sq ft full coverage. I'll do some testing next week.

bpp

I'm hating my Epson R5070. It's so sensitive and any time it thinks the printhead scuffed with media it resets and that takes so much time. Just starting the printer or loading the paper everything is forever. I'm pulling my hairs out. Coming from the Mimaki I'm going crazy, quality is nice but dealing with restarting and loading is driving me nuts. Anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

ikarasu

Are you using cheap media? Or media with a very thin backer? If so there's a media guard you can buy and install to prevent it.

I've never had to use mine, but I don't use the really cheap stuff.... So I've never had the issue. Only on really thin banner, in which case I just turned off the pre heater and Platten heater for that media and it fixed the issue.

It does take 3-4 mins to warm up and start printing.... So if you're constantly doing smaller prints it's a pain.

victor bogdanov

I'm hating my Epson R5070. It's so sensitive and any time it thinks the printhead scuffed with media it resets and that takes so much time. Just starting the printer or loading the paper everything is forever. I'm pulling my hairs out. Coming from the Mimaki I'm going crazy, quality is nice but dealing with restarting and loading is driving me nuts. Anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong?
What material are you having the issue with? I only had one scuff error and it was due to a little edge tunnel on the media I didn't notice when loading

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Is the UCJV300 too slow? Seems like UV is the way to go for instant dry except for maybe wraps. Roland has a new one out too I think.
Latex always sounds like such a PITA and it looks like Epson followed HP with throwaway print heads. It's a machine to sell you consumables like they do with the desktop printers.

victor bogdanov

it looks like Epson followed HP with throwaway print heads. It's a machine to sell you consumables like they do with the desktop printers.

The Epson Resin heads are not throwaway, the are piezoelectric just like the solvent ones and not thermal like HP. Supposed to last a couple years and that is what users are seeing. $700 user replaceable is a big plus

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The Epson Resin heads are not throwaway, the are piezoelectric just like the solvent ones and not thermal like HP. Supposed to last a couple years and that is what users are seeing. $700 user replaceable is a big plus
Gotcha, I misinterpreted what they meant. Are they using the i3200 in it?

victor bogdanov

Are they using the i3200 in it?
No something else

1.png

ikarasu

Is the UCJV300 too slow? Seems like UV is the way to go for instant dry except for maybe wraps. Roland has a new one out too I think.
Latex always sounds like such a PITA and it looks like Epson followed HP with throwaway print heads. It's a machine to sell you consumables like they do with the desktop printers.
As mentioned - they're not throw away. I've had my printer for..2-3 years now (when resin just came out) and I haven't had to change the head, and it's perfect still.

I don't print all day on it, but with the same usage my latex was at about 2k in heads being replaced already.

UV gel is probably better,but regular UV I think the Epson wins hands down... UV isn't the best for vehicle wraps / other stuff.

The Epson resin isn't perfect, but it's fixed a ton of stuff I've disliked about hp - I just wish it had some of the features hp has... Like queueing /saving jobs on a HD, 3 minute for first print then like a min warmup on the rest of the days prints... Etc etc.

Never used a UV roll to roll, but loving the Epson and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.