• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Carriage Rail Lubrication

Ever since I updated the firmware I can't get this stupid message to go away. It's I believe 87.02 Clean and lubricate the carrige rail. I have gone into the menu and done the carrige rail lubrication about 3 times now. Each time it successfully goes through the motions and at the end says successful. Then I load the media and immediately after it tells me to clean and lubricate the carriage rails. What am I missing. Is there a different carriage rail lubrication that I'm missing. Please let me know.

anotherdog

I doubt there is a "lube" sensor, so you would have to tell the machine you have done the service. Then it will shut up.

What machine?

It's a l25500. It the menu you have to select carriage rail lubrication. I have ran the carriage rail lubrication 3 times. Everytime it still says that I need to do it.

signage

Have you actually lube the rails?

Most of the rail lubrication error are coming from the carriage drive motor current!

Yes. I have lubed the rails. The three times I have ran the Carriage Rail Lubrication I have followed the instructions and then some. (They don't tell you to do the top rail in the instructions.)

Typestries

You may need to replace the carriage felts. IMO its a design flaw. They get filthy with overspray, block the oil you are applying from getting to the rails, and create friction.

Cut a lint free cloth into a small square. Put oil on that and rub the rails. It will make a huge difference. If you do it with the machine off, pull out the maint kit, you can manually slide the carriage, and you can literally feel a huge improvement, plus you'll get a lot of gunk off too.

BTW, the felts are something like $20. We keep a bunch on hand.

I have done this a few times too. I agree with you ^^^^ There is way too much aerosol spray in the machine. Causes alot of build up on the rails especially the back of the lower rail. Ours can gunk up sometimes and make the belt slap around and make it the worst sound ever. I do turn the machine off. Lubricate the rails and slide the carriage back manually. Do this about 4 or 5 times. The carriage slides almost effortlessly now. It works fine. My only problem is that the damn error keeps coming up.

Maybe but wouldn't it throw a motor error instead. I imagine if the motor works it and it just has to use more force to move the head. This is what causes the error. But if the motor was failing wouldn't it give off a different error. Has anybody else updated their firmware, gotten the error, did the lubrication, and the error went away and hasn't come back?

airborneassault

We have the exact same issue. We can clean and get the message to go away then by the afternoon its right back again. Tech felt like the tolerance on the motor that caused it to throw that error are too low.

Now I'm like you and I clean the rails with the machine off but the phone support tech mentioned you had to go through the front panel steps to make the message go away, have you tried that? Usually I clean the machine with the power off then just run through the front panel steps knowing I've already cleaned and re-oiled the machine.

I have done both. Ran with the machine off, machine on, machine on and run through the front panel options. Everytime it's right there after I load the material in.

Techman

Be sure to clean those rails too. Often a very thin almost invisible layer of over spray is on them. It causes drag even though there is oil on the rails. That is enuf to cause the sensor for the motor to fault.

BadAss

I have the fix,
After 6 weeks of my printer being down and our rep telling us they were working on it (HA) i called HP direct and was printing within 30 minutes. There is a sensor that tells if there is friction on the carriage and no matter how well you think you've done oiling it , it is not enough. You need to really clean the rails well both the bottom and the top 1/4" rail. After that re-lube. I was printing. However I removed the felts and you can see that they have blackened, so there has been a lot of friction on them so HP had me order a felt kit $30 and I am replacing them now. I just can't figure out how to remove carriage to get to the top pads. But here is the part number and contact to order. Hope this helps you as well... Mykel

order Part number for carriage felt kit: Q6651-60081 HP parts direct ordering: 800-227-8164