• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Check this out!!

slappy

Vital Designs, i have to much crap i'm currently doing to pick up another hobby. I bought a house and gutting it with my fiance's help, i have a son that i get ready every day and i am trying to run a business, answer the phone do quick books and wait on customers. I don't have enough time in the day for myself and barely enough time to cook dinner or fold laundry. I'm constantly on the go and only get to see my son when i'm picking him up from work and dropping him off at my moms so i can work on the house till 9-10 so we can move in. I pick him up and it's about bedtime. I take my laptop home everynight to work on things and learn whatever else i need to do to survive. But thank you for letting me know that they sell them on ebay. :smile:

but why give information to lurkers? why have 84+ guest on reading away? why have a guest on a thread? I don't care about someone opening up shop really, i do but 90% i don't cause i'm not huge in the industry, what i do actually care about is being small and what if that one guest on my thread or reading my post is my competitor down the road reading away about my jobs, how i operate and what i plan on down the road?? Then able to see and use what MM's i use too, and be a guest with that knowledge? That's kinda powerful. wouldn't you like a name to that guest, like a registered person, viewing your post on something so you kinda know?

Maybe it's only me. Maybe i just like my privacy. Sorry for the rant but like i said. It's not much, it would just be private like this forum. I see nothing wrong with it and would be more interested in joining to view the content.. In fact i am a member of that site too.

oh well.. time to work

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Eric makes some solid points. Those things he points out may simply not be done because no one has had time to do so. Often the case is though that the need is recognized. So if anyone wants to submit some suggested Newbie Questions and Answers, I'll be happy to post them if they're appropriate. Same thing for adding anything to the FAQ.

In just a short time and after much unexpected struggling with code and templates, you will see introduced two add on sections to Signs 101. Both address, in part, some of the concerns being discussed:

A new Classified Ad section will move such ads out of the forums into a much better equipped section to handle that need. This will reduce some of the load of information passing through our active threads on the home page and will also add some seriously cool features including ebay style auctions and the ability to get paid with a PayPal account tied to the ad.

A new Product Reviews section to review and rate any items we choose to. This will hopefully reduce the "which plotter should I buy?" type questions and provide a handy place to send members to efficiently do their research.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
but why give information to lurkers? why have 84+ guest on reading away? why have a guest on a thread? I don't care about someone opening up shop really, i do but 90% i don't cause i'm not huge in the industry, what i do actually care about is being small and what if that one guest on my thread or reading my post is my competitor down the road reading away about my jobs, how i operate and what i plan on down the road?? Then able to see and use what MM's i use too, and be a guest with that knowledge? That's kinda powerful. wouldn't you like a name to that guest, like a registered person, viewing your post on something so you kinda know?

Maybe it's only me. Maybe i just like my privacy. Sorry for the rant but like i said. It's not much, it would just be private like this forum. I see nothing wrong with it and would be more interested in joining to view the content.. In fact i am a member of that site too.

oh well.. time to work

It's pretty simple really. Signs 101 is, to the best of my knowledge, currently the highest traffic sign industry site on the internet. Those lurkers/guests add to the traffic and many become members when they've reached a point of wanting to ask a question.

That traffic is what advertisers like Lowen, Techno, Advantage Sign Supply along with more than 50 Merchant Members want and need to see to justify the dollars they spend here. Those dollars are the primary reason that Signs 101 is more than just a fleeting memory. Placing a barrier on the front door may make you feel like you have added to your privacy, but it is at the cost of reduced traffic for our merchants advertisers and reduced growth of new members to replace those we lose through attrition. If you want privacy, buy a subscription. It certainly should not come at the expense of our merchants and advertisers.

jbennett

Look at my join date. I was amazed it had been so long ago. Two divorces and many Miller Lite's later, I am still here :) There is something that keeps me coming back :) I have really learned a lot here. It is a great site all-in-all. I'm still here because I want to learn. I want to garner from the elite, and I want to help when I can to those who are in the biz because it as a passion, and not because they think it is so easy a caveman could do it! Sorry if I offended any cavemen :)

mike052082

As Gino said on page 2: Thanks for running my posts through a marathon guys. lol

If I had to pay to be here I would because of what I am doing. I spend alot of money on "stickers" a month. I looked at my books and I averge $700-$800 a month for the past 7 months. I don't know how big that account is to some of you but I don't think I should be waiting more than 2 weeks for my order when I am ALWAYS told it would be done earlier. Now that doesn't happen all the time but enough to make me upset. I have to turn down orders b/c I can't keep up with the construction. If I accepted every order I would do over $1000 and closer to $2000 a month just in "stickers" alone. Again I am assuming that is a big account that someone would love to have when I can find some more qualified people that aren't drunk and late all the time to the shop that also have the skills needed to do what I do. Trust me I am very orgainzed and place orders at the sign shop to be completed a week before I actually need them. It is actually the first thing I do when I recieve an order b/c I don't like relying on someone else.

So much that I am studying graphic desgin in college and doing pretty good. Pony'ed up for flexiSign to start designing where I have gotten to the point of just sending my designs. I do like when a professional graphic designer can make something that I couldn't have thought of or wouldn't know how to do. That doesn't happen much but I have a fetish for logos right now and love seeing the designs of them.

Here is my question(s) as simple as possible that got this whole thing started:

What is a good printer I should be looking at buying to start with?

I see that there are alot of printer heads, and that is what confuses me b/c I need a certain head for certain inks. I was wondering what printer should be the best that money can buy and some direction on that.

Is there any quality printer that I don't have to worry so much as to buy used and is $10,000 enough for this?

Apparently not. But from what yall say is that people get into this business all the time and fail b/c they don't have the knowledge. I am sure they don't let a $10,000-$30,000 printer sit in their garage. They sell it, and should I go that route. I see yall don't like the used route as there are too many varibles that myself (being the newbie) doesn't know about so it is safer to go the new route.

If you are afraid of people knowing how much things cost then you need to not post what you use. I have researched here and there, called manufactures and everything else I am sure you do daily to see what things cost and is recommended. The prices are there for people serious. I know this stuff aint' cheap and the ink is $$$$. I wan't to take my business to the next level and have its own sign shop. Maybe even become its own shop, but that is not what I am after.

People question my prices all the time. Some of the posters worried about customers knowing the prices should remeber what I was told a long time ago when customers had me thinking I was too high. "The price is the price" If you loose business to the poeple down the road, oh well they usually don't last long, at least not in my industry.

For the short answer to what I believe I am going with:

I will continue to design my own artwork. I am not the customer that you all have that needs modifications. I am well versed with rastor and vector files and when you need them. I will sub out the work with my artwork. Purchase printer when I feel I can spend the $15,000-$20,000 on the printer I would like to have b/c of the reviews I have read here. Laminator as well well be down the road as well. Thank you for all the critisism and support, but I will always be here reading and learning as learning is what I love to do, well when it is what I want to learn, and for the past year this has been it.

Last edited:

jbennett

So much that I am studying graphic desgin in college and doing pretty good. Pony'ed up for flexiSign to start designing where I have gotten to the point of just sending my designs. I do like when a professional graphic designer can make something that I couldn't have thought of or wouldn't know how to do. That doesn't happen much but I have a fetish for logos right now and love seeing the designs of them.

Here is my question(s) as simple as possible that got this whole thing started:

What is a good printer I should be looking at buying to start with?

Cool! You impress me that you are studying graphics design. A lot of people here are going to be partial to what they have and use. I would first ask myself a few questions.

1. What width printer will I need to fully accomodate my needs?

You will find some sp300 Rolands that are 30" machines that are what I would say reasonably priced.

2. Do I want to risk a large amount of money on a used printer that may require immediate repairs or maintenance?

Getting started, the learning curve is high enough without equipment that isn't functioning properly. You may or may not recognize that it isn't performing to its maximum.

3. Do I want a print/cut combo?

Print/cut combos, save space but in my opinion have some drawbacks too. You can print one job and be cutting another with stand alone units. Print/cuts do take up less room, however.

I have to tell you that I use a Mutoh Valuejet 1204 , 48" a Q100 VinylExpress for my contour cutting, and a 38" Daige laminator. The laminator I have doesnt get the best reviews by many, but I love it now that I have gotten used to it. The one thing I hate about my setup is that I can print wider than I can laminate. I recommend being able to laminate your full print width!

I am partial to the Mutoh because it has been problem free. I do the basic maintenance steps that are on the sticker and have been printing non-stop. I do recommend whatever you get, USE IT!! If you let it set motionless, you are sure to have more problems. I have also gotten great Mutoh support straight from signs101 here. (Thanks Randya)

jbennett

Matt-Tastic

you know, looking at this site, and after going to college, i remember when i see the "101" in signs 101, it would lead me to believe its an introductory course. you've got a lot of people teaching, a lot of people with various skillsets, but you've got the entry-level in there as well.

if you want a paid forum, www.signs202.com or www.signgradschool.com are available, could be purchased by the some people responsible for signs101 for a paid, subscription-based, master school for all the sign gurus who get tired of seeing newbie posters but can't stop from insulting them when they post.

then signs101.com could go back to a support forums for anything sign related, and not a bitch-fest for people who can't ignore a poster. but at this point, that includes me. i'll stop now.

mike052082

1. What width printer will I need to fully accomodate my needs?

You will find some sp300 Rolands that are 30" machines that are what I would say reasonably priced.

That is actually the first thing I looked at. I will have to go with something in the 40" territory because of the backdrops for the dunk tanks and the panels for modular bounce houses (http://www.cuttingedgecreations.com/A-Frame-Removable-Digital-Panels-p-483.html). This is a big business especially for the licensed one's, which of course I will stay away from. If I do decide to tackle my own wraps on my mini fleet I will go the 60" route but I don't think I can justify that. I am in the process of making a prototype trackless train that is made of a lead pace car and the rest of the cars are like NASCAR racecars but they are small so I might not need a 60" for that. I will have to see.

2. Do I want to risk a large amount of money on a used printer that may require immediate repairs or maintenance?

That is were I take yall's advice as some seem to think I am not because they assuming I am so incompetent.

3. Do I want a print/cut combo?

Print/cut combos, save space but in my opinion have some drawbacks too. You can print one job and be cutting another with stand alone units. Print/cuts do take up less room, however.

I actually have a very very big warehouse where I work so space saving isn't an issue but for convience it is something I am looking into.

jbennett

You posted before I could edit my post so you didn't get it all. If you have something else to add please do.

jbennett

No, not much to add. I will have to say, that I would do a little more calculating. I do Race car wraps now typically on 30" material. When something can be done in pieces, there isn't as much of a need for as large of a printer as you might think. Starting out, I was sure that I needed a 54". I really did not for what I am doing. I like the Mutoh printers. Check into seeing if there are any 1204s used anywhere. Bear in mind there is much more to it than a printer. You have to have a cutter if not a print/cut, and you have to have a laminator too. Anyway I can help, let me know. 10k for what you are needing may be tough to find.

Jbennett

Headhunterx

Head…….

This place has a very good name and you’re not liking what you currently see is not anyone’s problem but your own. You can choose to participate and take whatever you want. You, as demonstrated here, are free to post your hostility, but trying to rename a place based on your views is just ridiculous.

Thank goodness you aren’t a new person stumbling in here or you would go away and we’d miss a very important piece of the 101 puzzle. Evidently, you don’t know the difference between criticism and bastard posts.

When going through life, it’s a lot easier if everyone constantly points you in the right direction and you never have to think on your own. This develops a crutch and the person always asking the questions continues to ask dumb questions because they never learn to fend for themselves. I for one, will never explain totally how to do something to someone not showing any intent of learning and just wants a ‘Quick Fix’. No, those are the worst kind of people and do this place no good. If one wants to learn…. and takes the good with the bad, the ribbing and the long haul learning process, they are probably willing to spend some time and money to put into their effort to learn a great trade. They aren’t always crying how mean the world is and how come everyone is so ASSHOLEOMIC.

Now, if you were actually serious about leaving knowing all the stuff you said would make you leave…. Why is the green light still on by your name ??

Something else I noticed about your post….. where did anyone ask about the first time they made a design or wrote our name for the first time. Now you’re imagining questions and answering things that aren’t even there. You needa :bushmill:

Gino,

You are one of the main ones around here that thinks you know everything and maybe your ego needs that. Go crawl back in your bottle of booze (A crutch I don't need by the way) .

Richard

JR's

Originally Posted by Gino
Head…….

This place has a very good name and you’re not liking what you currently see is not anyone’s problem but your own. You can choose to participate and take whatever you want. You, as demonstrated here, are free to post your hostility, but trying to rename a place based on your views is just ridiculous.

Thank goodness you aren’t a new person stumbling in here or you would go away and we’d miss a very important piece of the 101 puzzle. Evidently, you don’t know the difference between criticism and bastard posts.

When going through life, it’s a lot easier if everyone constantly points you in the right direction and you never have to think on your own. This develops a crutch and the person always asking the questions continues to ask dumb questions because they never learn to fend for themselves. I for one, will never explain totally how to do something to someone not showing any intent of learning and just wants a ‘Quick Fix’. No, those are the worst kind of people and do this place no good. If one wants to learn…. and takes the good with the bad, the ribbing and the long haul learning process, they are probably willing to spend some time and money to put into their effort to learn a great trade. They aren’t always crying how mean the world is and how come everyone is so ASSHOLEOMIC.

Now, if you were actually serious about leaving knowing all the stuff you said would make you leave…. Why is the green light still on by your name ??

Something else I noticed about your post….. where did anyone ask about the first time they made a design or wrote our name for the first time. Now you’re imagining questions and answering things that aren’t even there. You needa

Right on Gino

JR

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino,

You are one of the main ones around here that thinks you know everything and maybe your ego needs that. Go crawl back in your bottle of booze (A crutch I don't need by the way) .

Richard

Quite simple Head.......

Don't read or answer me and you'll do just fine here. Guess I struck a nerve with you.... huh ??

As for crawling back in my bottle.... thanks for the idea.... I'll think about it later on today.

:thankyou:

Headhunterx

Quite simple Head.......

Don't read or answer me and you'll do just fine here. Guess I struck a nerve with you.... huh ??

As for crawling back in my bottle.... thanks for the idea.... I'll think about it later on today.

:thankyou:

You didn't strike a nerve you are just a natural born jerk. And just as I expected also a drunk.

Have A Nice Hangover!!

JR's

Quite simple Head.......

good point gino.

JR

Mikeifg

Maybe he should have started off saying. Hi my name is Signshop killer, I want to get into this business so I don't have to pay the high prices for my own business signage. I mean it costs nothing to make it's vinyl like thats as cheap as paper and I want to wrap stuff too. The wrapping aint hard either I can't see paying the high prices for the stuff I could make myself if I buy the equipment which is cheap anyway you don't need to be one of them artists either because I know this guy who knows this guy who is cutting lettering for his go karts in his garage and now he's a sign man. saved himself 20.00 for all the letterin on his karts that he was having a signshop make for 25.00 he talked them down quite a bit there. heck he sells 10.00 brush script decals of peoples names I mean if he don't have the color you want he'll go buy a roll and it's still 10.00 man he's making a killer profit I heard he can get 2 cases a beer a week now. Why go to all these high priced shops when you can get it out of a garage. He's even thinkin of going into the party rental business but heck you have to be a pro at that and know alot more about partyin then you would ever know about makin signs.

Looser

mike052082

Maybe he should have started off saying. Hi my name is Signshop killer, I want to get into this business so I don't have to pay the high prices for my own business signage. I mean it costs nothing to make it's vinyl like thats as cheap as paper and I want to wrap stuff too. The wrapping aint hard either I can't see paying the high prices for the stuff I could make myself if I buy the equipment which is cheap anyway you don't need to be one of them artists either because I know this guy who knows this guy who is cutting lettering for his go karts in his garage and now he's a sign man. saved himself 20.00 for all the letterin on his karts that he was having a signshop make for 25.00 he talked them down quite a bit there. heck he sells 10.00 brush script decals of peoples names I mean if he don't have the color you want he'll go buy a roll and it's still 10.00 man he's making a killer profit I heard he can get 2 cases a beer a week now. Why go to all these high priced shops when you can get it out of a garage. He's even thinkin of going into the party rental business but heck you have to be a pro at that and know alot more about partyin then you would ever know about makin signs.

Looser

You are wrong on so many points, and have no idea. Why did you even post if you weren't going to give some suggestions? From your posts I don't even think you read what I wrote.

It sounds like a lot of people here think that no one can learn the sign business. Like it is a god given gift or something. I really don't care about cutting out the middle man. I am making my business more efficient by adding a signshop that can support itself.

Thanks for the people who have PM'd me. I have something worked out that I am going to go with. So thanks to those members.

lil Details

Mike,
I would guess that if you are doing 700 to 800 a month in "stickers" that you would not be able to warrant a printer. If I understand it right you have to use the ink within a certain time frame and your monthly retail is just simply not that much.

Correct me if I am wrong....

iSign

Mike,
I tried to stay out of this train wreck, but decided to add my 2 cents once already, so I'll add some more thoughts...

You think you are so misunderstood, and perhaps you are, but you too are wrong on many points.

Take a guy like lil Details for example... if you were to look at his profile you could search out threads he started & find one about designing business cards... several pages longer than this if I remember correctly, and if not in his first week here, he was nearly as unknown of a member as yourself...

If you read that thread you would see a little bit of razzing, but you would also see lil Details respecting the fact that this is skilled work & a long slow learning process for many of us. No, we don't think it's rocket science, of the exclusive realms of natural born artists... but it's a trade that many of us have decades invested in, with all sorts of life's other opportunities sacrificed for the investment of half a lifetime in exploring this craft & the desire to make a profitable venture pursuing it.

When a new guy shows a minimum of respect for the vast assortment of talent & expertise shared here, the sharing of information flows ever more plentiful... but when a guy like you has the misfortune of walking in here with one of the most famous lines of crap we have all heard so often before, you end up with a tough row to hoe, climbing out of the perception you have brought on yourself with the line that your local sign shops are too expensive, so you're buying your own equipment...

...maybe it's true that this is not the whole reason, & maybe it's true that your local shops are lazy worthless greedy fools... but nevertheless... it IS a famous old line of crap we are all tired of, so like the boy who cried wolf... we hate hearing it, because it's usually been bullshit in the past & the guy willing to buy sign equipment as a result is usually a freakin' idiot that ain't worth our time talking to...

..so, you'll notice I'm not saying you are that guy, but you came here looking like him, and we don't know you, but we know this business & we know this forum, & we know each other... and we don't have to read everything you wrote... it's common for folks checking in late to skim a little & realize there is enough clues here to be reminded of a bunch of crap we have all encountered before... and crap breeds crap, so if you're taking on a bunch of crap, it's because you fit the profile...

...and it should go without saying, but I'll mention anyway that this is anarchy... it's not like the flaws of human nature we witness here are some form of premeditated policy of this site... it just happens to happen... and guys like lil Details have proven that the right humble & respectful attitude can cut through the crap & bring out the best in people... just as guys like yourself can walk the line of being just a little too defensive to ever really overcome the boy's who cried wolf before you..

To your credit, you are not as likely to fail here as so many who are pure antagonists with no good things to say about this board & the people here... but you do not seem to be taking an appreciation for the legitimate opposition many sign professionals feel towards you comments and intentions. Fine, don't then.

We know who we are & what we do, and why the crap we hear like your is an offensive lack of understanding & respect. You WILL NOT succeed without growing to understand exactly what we are already sharing with you. Perhaps you will not, & never were intended to, & motivated enough, to succeed... in which case you also may never know what we know & grow to feel like we feel about this issue... OR, maybe you will persevere, and become successful in this trade, but if so, mark my words, you WILL understand where the animosity you have seen comes from...

...so, I think you can back down on the defensiveness & respect the validity of your opposition here, so as to counteract it, and overcome it...or not.