• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning Substrates...What do you use?

splizaat

Hey guys, curious what everyone else is doing here. We're always looking for good ways to cut costs (without cutting corners!!!)

The application fluid we currently use doubles up as a cleaner/installation fluid, but at almost $30/gallon, we go through it SO FAST. Thought about using straight rubbing alcohol (70% by volume) to start cleaning surfaces rather than our install fluid, then if needed, install using the fluid.

Curious what everyone is using for cleaning substrates PRIOR to install (glass building windows, cars, corex/dibond, etc). If straight rubbing alcohol is just as effective, we'll start saving money and using that instead. Where's everyone getting the best deal in bulk from?

Matt

TammieH

We use 99% Isopropyl (purchase 5 gal. drums) and Windex for the most part.

For some plastics like acrylic we use mild soap and water.

And Naptha, just depends on what you are cleaning.

signage

Just have to order enough:Big Laugh

tanktrk.jpg

Tim Aucoin

+1 on the 99% IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol). I wouldn't recommend windex, as it has waxing agents in it...
Fortunately, I happen to have two 5-gallon drums of 99% IPA "left over" from when we used to to offset printing. It will last me a long time... and it smells good! :ROFLMAO:

gspicer

I use a lot of Safeway Glass Cleaner for surface prep, except on vehicle paint. It's pretty cheap at less than $2 a can. I like that it's an aerosol foam. If I'm doing lots of panels I'll just wipe them down with 99% isopropanol. For vehicles I wash with with regular dawn dish soap to help remove any wax and may use a good wax stripper on application area if I feel the need, then I prep with the surface with alcohol.

-Gregor

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We use booze too.... 99% sometimes but we usually cut it with distilled water to about 85% to stretch it out some. Then again we have a 55 gallon drum of it which will probably last several years. Got lucky on the drum and grabbed it for $150.00. :smile:

ChicagoGraphics

I been using this foam windsheild cleaner from PPG that works wonders, couldn't tell you how much it cost as I get it all for free

splizaat

Where are you finding 99% and especially at that volume? We can only find 50% and 70% I believe -- at walgreens....

OldPaint

91% ALCOHOL WALLY WORLD ALL DAY LONG in quarts)))))
if it SAYS RUBBING ALCOHOL....it has a touch of oil in it)))

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Where are you finding 99% and especially at that volume? We can only find 50% and 70% I believe -- at walgreens....

Commercial print suppliers (places that supply traditional offset printers, etc) have it in 5 and 55 gallon drums...... Also chemical supply houses can also get it. The key I've found is finding it at a good price. Long time ago I tired finding it in big containers and by volume it was actually cheaper to buy small bottles at walmart. That is also a good option, ask for a manager, and they will order it by the case for you. ;)

BobM

Rapid Prep. Not worried about saving $.25 a job mixing up formulas. Not a single problem with cleaned substrates since I started using Rapid Prep and Rapid Tac II several years ago. Well worth the money.

Techman

Rapid Prep to remove grease and oils and silicones..

Rapid tac.

Already mixed, Has a good cleaner soap along with the alcohol. I don't care how much it costs. Just grab and clean.. I don't have time to chase down ingredients to make my own weasel ppiss. Or to mix them and worry about all that forplay.

OldPaint

wally world.all day long anyday....no foreplay or mixing..........
91% ALCOHOL.......IN QUARTS.....and inexpensive......)))))))))))))))))0

Techman

alcohol alone is not the all purpose magic cleaner. It will only dissolve that which dissolves in alcohol. Some dirt needs soap and water to remove.