• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cloud Software - What do you use?

gnemmas

Thank you for your response. What is the possibility of setting up a dummy company in the "cloud" with enough data loaded, and prospects can register and play with it to see all the features you "claim" to have.

Wouldn't that be a potent sales tool for an advanced company such as yours?

WildWestDesigns

And lastly, the world is moving towards the cloud based/SAAS software.

Yep and depending on how it is done that may or may not be a good thing. I don't believe all options should be eliminated though, at least with not knowing how the "dust" is going to settle with everything.

Cause it is easy to make and manage and it is easy for people to own it for a fraction of the total cost on a monthly basis.

Now this is more of semantics, but I do not believe that there is any end user ownership of this. Certainly not the same as my owning the Master Suite of CS5. It's more along the lines of renting/leasing then it is of ownership. Ownership usually implies a finite amount of payment before the transfer of goods/services happen. Even if it's in terms of decades, it's still finite. There is no finite payment and transfer of ownership with a subscription based product. You can only continue to use the product as long as you pay for the privilege to use the product. I've paid one time for the Master Suite and yet I'm still using it. That to me is owning something.

Kevin-shopVOX

Thank you for your response. What is the possibility of setting up a dummy company in the "cloud" with enough data loaded, and prospects can register and play with it to see all the features you "claim" to have.

Wouldn't that be a potent sales tool for an advanced company such as yours?

As Rao had mentioned we don't have a demo to toy around with. If you really want to see what it does take a webinar by sending me an email, or pm or just pick up the phone and call. It will take about 45 to an hour. See if what we claim is all that it's cracked up to be.

Techman

please tell me to what advantage a cloud will have for the 96% of those here who seem to not need a cloud?

ChiknNutz

This whole thread just goes to show that some are FOR it and some are AGAINST it. I think the best would be to have BOTH options available so the customer can simply choose which platform they prefer, then everyone gets what they want. I can't say that the world is totally moving to CLOUD/Web-based solutions entirely, though there certainly is some movement in that direction. Larger companies with in-house IT departments are more reluctant to have external data pools and prefer to keep them in-house...some simply as a matter of company policy as much as the need to ensure data is secure.

WildWestDesigns

Every one of those has to evaluated on an individual basis and one item I have a real hard time swallowing and that is: 24/7 access. In theory that might be true, but it doesn't work out that way in real life. Crap happens, either on your end or on mine, sometimes there is someone really to blame, sometimes crap just happens, but it all boils down to not having access. If I need that access to run my shop, it better damn well be available during my business hours (which sometimes is at least the 24 part if I need to get files uploaded via email).

Also skilled vendors is something I have a problem with at times. I don't hire the people that take care of the space that I rent on the cloud, so I really have no idea how skilled they are. I know the company's PR campaign, but that's about it.

The last problem is costs. Now I'm really a strange duck here because I think of costs in terms of economic costs not just accounting. Most people are just concerned with accounting costs nowadays. Even if I was just to look at things based on accounting costs, it still wouldn't make sense for me to do this switch.

The other benefits depend on where they fall on my priority (or other's as well) list. These may be benefits, they may not be. It all depends on each situation. That's why the true best solution is what GraphixCALC mentioned, keep both. Those that can/want to make the switch can do so, those that don't (for whatever reason, good or bad) don't.

CES020

With apps for smart phones and ipads, etc., I can do all that's bragged about without renting space in the cloud or having all my data on the cloud. With filemaker, I could build a nice system (GG already has it) and then take that same ability with me on my phone, update things on the fly, access my data on the fly.

I think this is more of a marketing ploy than anything else. Since the beginning of time, we've ran businesses and kept customer data and business information, and it's worked pretty well for a long long time. This "catastrophic" failure that is repeated hasn't been an issue for decades that computers have been in use. There's a list of Fortune 500 companies out there, that list was there in 1995 too, when there was no cloud. So the best businesses in the world made it without a cloud and were profitable. I'm not sure how all the millions and millions of businesses that operated before without it and made it, are now, suddenly, unable to survive without putting all their data in a cloud.

I appreciate a cloud that gives us something we didn't have before or are unable to do, but for every day operations, we've already been able to do that for years now, and for taking the ability to quote outside the office, we've been able to do that for years now too. So why pay someone to do what we're already able to do?

Kevin-shopVOX

How many full users are currently under license with the SignVox product?

Every one of those has to evaluated on an individual basis and one item I have a real hard time swallowing and that is: 24/7 access. In theory that might be true, but it doesn't work out that way in real life. Crap happens, either on your end or on mine, sometimes there is someone really to blame, sometimes crap just happens, but it all boils down to not having access. If I need that access to run my shop, it better damn well be available during my business hours (which sometimes is at least the 24 part if I need to get files uploaded via email).

Also skilled vendors is something I have a problem with at times. I don't hire the people that take care of the space that I rent on the cloud, so I really have no idea how skilled they are. I know the company's PR campaign, but that's about it.

The last problem is costs. Now I'm really a strange duck here because I think of costs in terms of economic costs not just accounting. Most people are just concerned with accounting costs nowadays. Even if I was just to look at things based on accounting costs, it still wouldn't make sense for me to do this switch.

The other benefits depend on where they fall on my priority (or other's as well) list. These may be benefits, they may not be. It all depends on each situation. That's why the true best solution is what GraphixCALC mentioned, keep both. Those that can/want to make the switch can do so, those that don't (for whatever reason, good or bad) don't.

Being down doesn't bother me all that much. Sure when something may occur its an incovenience but more often than not its temporary. When I lose the internet or power I still have access to my shop via a handheld. That is not an issue whatsoever. I still have control during business hours, away from the business and at times when I should be ignoring the business and paying more attention to the wife...its always there :)

As for skilled vendors I can't speak for all vendors but in SignVOX's case..we know our stuff when it comes to the product, best practices and security. We also are sign guys and know the sign business well.

There are certainly pros and cons to any situation, as Rao mentioned earlier, the only thing that matters is whether you see value in a product or not. If you do then typically you use it, if you don't you won't. Personally I have found this mobile technology refreshing as it has broadened my capabilities and made things more accessible. The accessibility allows me to do more with less time. No one is saying you have to switch and you should or you'll be left behind etc etc. But if you don't pay attention to what is happening with small business opportunity technology you won't know what you might be missing.

choucove

Since I mentioned the reasoning behind our sign shop's views on cloud computing, I thought I should toss in some information that is much more general to businesses of all sizes in regards to cloud computing since this discussion really has come to envelop more than just the sign industry.

I've been to a number of small businesses here locally and seen what they use for software systems and their backups (if they even have a backup!) A cloud-based system for these small offices would be a HUGE improvement.

Let's look at it from a standpoint of building your own cloud. Let's say a business with five employees had been backing up all their accounting and document files using DVDs. They now what to move to something more flexible, faster, and reliable instead of making four DVDs of information at the end of the week. If they wanted to have the features a cloud system for their data, they would first have to locate a remote site to set up some kind of file server system. Next they'll have the upfront cost of purchasing that server and all the networking hardware involved. But what if one server goes down? One of the big benefits of cloud computing is redundancy even if one site goes down. So the company needs to buy two, possibly three servers even that duplicate each other continuously to always be ready to take over should the first server go down. Not only does something like this take a lot of know-how that most likely this small business doesn't have IT staff to set up and manage, but it takes a lot of specialized hardware and software that can also be expensive.

So now they've spent thousands of dollars setting up this cloud system, and spent weeks configuring the local computers AND the network interconnect between and then migrated data all to move their data to a cloud server of their own making. That just doesn't make sense for a small business. I can understand larger business building their own clouds, but the majority of businesses out there by far fall in the category where this is just not feasible.

That's why it's handy to have cloud computing systems. They do all that for you, and basically you're just paying a rent/usage fee for access, space, and support on their servers. They set it all up, they have all the initial cost, and they are responsible for setting up all the configuration required and keeping the thing live as much as possible.

In the end, I think cloud computing solutions do focus on offering strong security and try to offer the greatest reliability available. Why? Because ultimately they are the ones responsible. They are responsible for keeping the data on their servers secure from theft, corruption, or intrusion. They are responsible for keeping the service online and available to customers. They are responsible for not losing customers' information.

I've talked with several people who were planning to run servers to work as an off-site backup space for several local business, but think of the liability that it poses. If you have sensitive business information for ten businesses running on your server, and it has a virus that destroys data, you're looking at possible lawsuits from ten very angry businesses for hundreds of thousands of dollars each or even millions! That's a LOT of responsibility to make sure you have things running right!

WildWestDesigns

Being down doesn't bother me all that much. Sure when something may occur its an incovenience but more often than not its temporary. When I lose the internet or power I still have access to my shop via a handheld. That is not an issue whatsoever. I still have control during business hours, away from the business and at times when I should be ignoring the business and paying more attention to the wife...its always there :)

Longest we went without internet was 4 days. Yes, that is still temporary, but that is still a helluva long time.

As for skilled vendors I can't speak for all vendors but in SignVOX's case..we know our stuff when it comes to the product, best practices and security. We also are sign guys and know the sign business well.

Here is the problem, that's pretty much what they are all going to say to some extent just have it bent to whatever market segment that they are after.

It's the nitty gritty that shows to your consumers that you really have all those positive points. I'm not saying you don't and I'm talking about you in general terms, not you specifically.

There are certainly pros and cons to any situation, as Rao mentioned earlier, the only thing that matters is whether you see value in a product or not. If you do then typically you use it, if you don't you won't. Personally I have found this mobile technology refreshing as it has broadened my capabilities and made things more accessible. The accessibility allows me to do more with less time. No one is saying you have to switch and you should or you'll be left behind etc etc. But if you don't pay attention to what is happening with small business opportunity technology you won't know what you might be missing.

I do see value in your product and in a cloud based computing system, however, that value isn't enough to override my concerns. Although it may not seem like that based on my posts, I do come back to it and see if it's something I want to do. Depending on how my growth is, I might still do it even if those concerns are still there, it just depends on if the positive value outweighs the negatives that I have.

I'm always eager to "gobble up" new tech, but I don't do it without weighing all the pros and cons that directly affect me. Those will may not be the same as the next person, it depends on if it's a concern and what value that they place to that concern, that changes from one person (company) to the next.

sar bossier

Why Should I switch?

As Rao had mentioned we don't have a demo to toy around with. If you really want to see what it does take a webinar by sending me an email, or pm or just pick up the phone and call. It will take about 45 to an hour. See if what we claim is all that it's cracked up to be.

Kevin - Why would I want to switch to Signvox for 49.00 more than I pay now, when I have yet to see ANY cloud service that is able to address MY issue with POS of any type:

I have 3 major accounts that have the following payment terms:
3% 20, NET 45. NONE of the current POS cloud software on the market will allow you to invoice, THEN go back when payment is made, and change the dollar amount when the discount is alloted. As it stands, I have to put the job on "HOLD" until I receive payment, THEN invoice, which gives an entirely inaccurate monthly P & L statement, and negatively affects my business.
:frustrated:

signswi

CES020 I guarantee you that the majority of Fortune 500 are leveraging 'cloud' tech in some fashion or another and probably have been for a good number of years. I think you're maybe a bit confused as to what exactly is in discussion here. SaaS is the discussion but you keep referencing cloud as if it only means remote storage, they're not the same beasts. Massively redundant online storage is a part of what people consider cloud computing but it's not the defining characteristic. There also isn't one cloud, it's just a descriptive term for a set of particular technologies. Of course a company can assemble their own cloud. What is more interesting is whether or not SaaS models are something that you are willing to try. You probably have already in some form (ever done your taxes online?). This thread sure is derailed!

signswi

Kevin - Why would I want to switch to Signvox for 49.00 more than I pay now, when I have yet to see ANY cloud service that is able to address MY issue with POS of any type:

I have 3 major accounts that have the following payment terms:
3% 20, NET 45. NONE of the current POS cloud software on the market will allow you to invoice, THEN go back when payment is made, and change the dollar amount when the discount is alloted. As it stands, I have to put the job on "HOLD" until I receive payment, THEN invoice, which gives an entirely inaccurate monthly P & L statement, and negatively affects my business.
:frustrated:

Can you clarify this? Sounds like something that's pretty easily done in the half-dozen or so SaaS invoicing systems I've tried, though I haven't seen the SignVOX demo yet. Why wouldn't you apply the discount at the time of initial invoicing and I don't really follow why you'd put a job on Hold, then get paid, THEN invoice...very odd.

sar bossier

Can you clarify this? Sounds like something that's pretty easily done in the half-dozen or so SaaS invoicing systems I've tried, though I haven't seen the SignVOX demo yet. Why wouldn't you apply the discount at the time of initial invoicing and I don't really follow why you'd put a job on Hold, then get paid, THEN invoice...very odd.

The current POS system we use is cloud based, and once you invoice, you can not change the dollar amount, which causes me to pay higher royalties that if I invoice the job with the payment correct. I can't add the discount beforehand, as they have missed the 20 day deadline more than once, and there is no way to add a 3% "button". The discounts available are 1%, 5%, 10%, etc. I'm sorry if I took this "off topic."

:Oops:

CES020

I think you're maybe a bit confused as to what exactly is in discussion here. SaaS is the discussion but you keep referencing cloud as if it only means remote storage, they're not the same beasts. Massively redundant online storage is a part of what people consider cloud computing but it's not the defining characteristic. There also isn't one cloud, it's just a descriptive term for a set of particular technologies.

I'm perfectly aware of what cloud computing is, so no confusion on my part. What I am asking, is why would I put mission critical data that is vital to our businesses interest, in the hands of someone else? What do I gain by doing that is my question.

In my opinion, the risk/reward just isn't there. What is the reward? To be able to see various files from anywhere in the world from various devices? I can already do that now, without having to be "in the cloud" with my storage of said data.

So what else is the reward? Having my data backed up off site. FTP has allowed that for years. No big deal there either.

So what's next? My question is really what can I do with the cloud that I can't already do, and the answer keeps coming up "Nothing".

Now, if you want to debate whether someone made some really good cloud software that fits our business needs like a glove, that's different. Just because someone designed good POS software for the cloud and skipped designing it for stand alone machines, doesn't mean it makes it the right thing to do. I have yet to hear what doing business in the cloud can do that can't already be done. Maybe there are things. I'm open to learn. Teach me :)

SignVOX

Merchant Member
The current POS system we use is cloud based, and once you invoice, you can not change the dollar amount, which causes me to pay higher royalties that if I invoice the job with the payment correct. I can't add the discount beforehand, as they have missed the 20 day deadline more than once, and there is no way to add a 3% "button". The discounts available are 1%, 5%, 10%, etc. I'm sorry if I took this "off topic."

:Oops:
In any POS system you should be able to modify any invoice you want any time. I dont understand why you cant?

sar bossier

In any POS system you should be able to modify any invoice you want any time. I dont understand why you cant?

Apparently, in the one I currently use, once you "invoice" it, everything is locked. I called the software developer, and he advised me that I needed to put it "on hold" until payment is received, THEN invoice it. I asked this question of a Signvox rep recently, and got the same reply. Does Signvox allow you to change the invoiced amount to reflect a discount after completion and invoicing? Thanks