• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer problems...

Deaton Design

And Casey, my bios doesnt show anything to do with the memory. Ive checked and there is nothing there where you can reset the speed, etc. Doesnt even show how much I have either. The bios are phoenix.

Sabre

250 is pretty low for sure. I didn't read the whole thread to see the rest of the system specs. Do you have a spare you can sub in to see if it fixes it for you? I'm not 100% sure, but it may be possible that the ram issues has caused some data corruption on the hard drive and no matter what you try now, it will always stumble on that spot. As rarely as it works, you could try the lame-o system restore and see if it will let you roll it back a couple days.

Good luck. :|

SignBurst PCs

Jus tto let most of us know.
Page fault is hard drive....

Tech's right. Page fault is a hard drive problem.

But this failure can have many initial causes, including bad ram, mobo, power supply, or even data corruption, possibly caused by any or all of the above. I have even seen corruption in a single startup application cause the issue described. Have you run chkdsk yet?

jiarby

250w??
What have you got... an eMachine?

I have seen low disk space do this, and also a lack of temp file space (limitation to # of file that can exists in a directory!)

If you have 8gb of virtual mempry config'd but only 4gb of HDD left then there will be trouble.

The thing that is weird is that you are working in safe mode. This usually means software problem. in the F8 menu you can enable boot logging, this will create a log file that you can review to see what is killing you.

Deaton Design

Tech's right. Page fault is a hard drive problem.

But this failure can have many initial causes, including bad ram, mobo, power supply, or even data corruption, possibly caused by any or all of the above. I have even seen corruption in a single startup application cause the issue described. Have you run chkdsk yet?

Yep. Ran chkdsk and it found no errors.

The thing that is weird is that you are working in safe mode. This usually means software problem. in the F8 menu you can enable boot logging, this will create a log file that you can review to see what is killing you.

250w??
What have you got... an eMachine?
Nope, acer veriton. 2.5 ghz, 250gbhd, running xp pro. 2 gigs ram.

Haven't done that. Ill try that when I get home this evening.
I appreciate all the advice and info.

Shovelhead

Both sticks of ram are showing up now. My power supply is a 250 watt. Maybe not enough to run everything, I dont know. I do remember the first day this started, is sounded like something in the case was running louder than usual, but it wasnt the hard drive. Everything Ive looked up, a page fault can be caused by quite a few things. When this first started, the computer just kept rebooting, which some of the techboards say is caused by a faulty power supply.

HOLY CRAP :ROFLMAO:

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Didn't know they made a 250w PSU or that todays video cards would even work with anything less than a 450w? You could probably replace that for less than $35 and cure any future upgrade problems.

Deaton Design

Update. I put in a 500w power supply last night, problem still exists. The number one dimm slot is definitely bad, as the computer stalls during bootup if I put one in there.
Im going to try one more thing, reinstalling windows, if that doesnt work, then I know the motherboard will have to be replaced. Probably be better to just get another computer.
Edited to add, Jim, Ive had my eye on an imac for quite a while now. Might be time for me to make that purchase. My first computer was a mac, and Ive still got it here. An old 8500 with a g3 processor in it. Still works too. I also had a mac classic at one time. Man, that was an old sucker.

Techman

My power supply is a 250 watt.

The newer iterations of computers do not need 500 watt power supplies any more. The newer dual core CPU's are very low power consumption.

Plus those huge power supplies are more for geeksters who run several hard drives, several more cd drives, and video cards that demand huge amounts of power.

Case in point, My newest machine is a dual core with 2 gigs ram and all the goodies all run on a 250 watt power supply.

Sabre

Maybe while you have it open one of these times, have a real close look at the capacitors on the motherboard surrounding the processor. I don't know what it is, but we've had a real influx of machines with failing capacitors in them that cause all sorts of issues ranging from non-booting to flakey little issues in games.

I tried to grab a pict, but it was taking WAY too much effort with my asscam. Check all the caps for bulging and/or leaking usually brownish orange... (I was going to look up a pantone colour to be funny, but I don't have that much time)

Any of those symptoms and I would immediately write off the board, might be worth a little peek.

Last edited:

ashford

Go with the Mac idea! :D The iMacs are great. I work with an iMac at home and Windows XP at work. Let's just say there's a LOT of swearing at work!

Hope you get your computer issues worked out!