• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer type

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
When someone sends you a massive file with lots of paths, transparency ect, you'll want a a quarterway decent graphics card (if you haven't then turn off the layers tab in illustrator) and then a couple of 27" screens. Excel, chrome (many tabs...), firefox, Photoshop all eat into available resources. Ram is cheap, if it's not bleeding edge.
I'm running a few 5,1 Mac pros, one of which is just a win7 box for scanning. Full of SSD's, RX580 and 32GB ram. Twelve years old.
Not as fast as a modern machine, but close to top spec when bought new. I'd not look at less than 64GB ram these days, because software has evolved. I'd really like to retain the option for user upgradeable parts, so the scanning station will be a hand build PC thingy.

netsol

Once you have 2 monitors, you will realize you actually need 3...like me. 4 would give me whiplash but 3 is perfect.
for a lot of things, it doesn't make a difference

i have a task scheduled every saturday am for a large client. a lot of cleanup, archiving and sending reports to sales people

it was always about a 2 hour task. about 10 years ago, i put in a 3 monitor system (35" with (2) 26' one of each side.) now i finish the same job in about 14 minutes.
it can really let you work smarter

ikarasu

the number of hard drives has NOTHING to do with the likelyhood of a hard drive going bad
hard drives are like lightbulbs, it's just a question of WHEN they will fail, not if & most of the time there is no warning, JUST A CLICK

setup a good, reliable backup solution & please don't tell me about the $0.99 a TB backup solution you found. this is a good thing to spend a couple bucks on

when one of our clients (who was too smart to pay for backup) calls and says "what do i do now?" this is what i send him bacl

View attachment 162674

it wouldn't take long to redo ALL YOUR WORK, would it?
.99 a TB... look at mr money bags over here! Google Drive... $15 a month for unlimited :roflmao: J/k. While I use it for backup, I go into it knowing its not meant for backing up... and have other backup solutions. I have a secondary NAS Backing up nightly....and sending the data to a remote Nas, While backing up to google drive, and I'm adding blackblaze into the mix shortly. 2 clouds + 1 local +1 Remote... I'll never lose a file.Cloud backups are slow when you have 10-20 TB of data...theyre mainly for the oh shit, none of my other backups worked moments. Everyone should have a local backup if they value not having downtime

victor bogdanov

Cloud backups are slow when you have 10-20 TB of data...theyre mainly for the oh ****, none of my other backups worked moments. Everyone should have a local backup if they value not having downtime
Most of the cloud backups can overnight you hardrives with data if you need it asap.

Stacey K

I like making signs
for a lot of things, it doesn't make a difference

i have a task scheduled every saturday am for a large client. a lot of cleanup, archiving and sending reports to sales people

it was always about a 2 hour task. about 10 years ago, i put in a 3 monitor system (35" with (2) 26' one of each side.) now i finish the same job in about 14 minutes.
it can really let you work smarter
It comes in really handy when I'm downloaded photos from emails, uploading to removing backgrounds and then uploading into Flexi. A lot less minimizing of screens. One screen just has my Signtracker, music and email on it. But - for most things one monitor is enough...but 3 is better LOL

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I shoulda had a second screen on my laptop in the kitchen to watch Wales play.

netsol

.99 a TB... look at mr money bags over here! Google Drive... $15 a month for unlimited :roflmao: J/k. While I use it for backup, I go into it knowing its not meant for backing up... and have other backup solutions. I have a secondary NAS Backing up nightly....and sending the data to a remote Nas, While backing up to google drive, and I'm adding blackblaze into the mix shortly. 2 clouds + 1 local +1 Remote... I'll never lose a file.Cloud backups are slow when you have 10-20 TB of data...theyre mainly for the oh ****, none of my other backups worked moments. Everyone should have a local backup if they value not having downtime
my largest client had a massive ransomware attack in 2017. we managed to get everything back over the weekend
the CEO had about 250 gb of files on his onedrive. they tell you microsoft can recover with "previous version" HOWEVER they made him wait 45 days to get his files back, rendering them worthless

ikarasu

my largest client had a massive ransomware attack in 2017. we managed to get everything back over the weekend
the CEO had about 250 gb of files on his onedrive. they tell you microsoft can recover with "previous version" HOWEVER they made him wait 45 days to get his files back, rendering them worthless
Haha. We've been hit twice. Another sign shop down the street 3 times... Once they get in, its very hard to keep them out unless you start over... They sit and wait for months, so if you restore a version days / weeks before the hit... Theyre still in. You have to identify how they got in... which I'm sure you know isnt that easy, Ours was a user who had admin access (Who never should have admin access) Leaked his password...twice. No one gets admin anymore except for me, and mine is a seperate admin login, not my normal login - We fired our previous IT company 2 years ago because of how they setup our system... Everyone had permission on everyones PC - I got tired of them...so I logged into the owners desktop, screenshotted his files and sent him an E-mail... They were gone a few weeks after that and now my sisters IT company runs everything... They do all the work for a couple 2000 seat hospitals, so guess who does everything here

We use Acronis for Vsphere / server backup. I dont use it for our Art room folder though, its too massive to pay what Acronis wants... So we can get our servers back up in under an hour. Then theyre also backed up to google drive... And our art server is backed up to google drive. I can d/l 8-9 TB a day from Google on our connection... Enough to restore the whole art room server in a day.... but google isnt a true backup, so they limit you to 2 TB a day...took us 4 days to get everything back.

Now I'm beefing it up - Our server is going to be a Truenas file host - Every PC in the building is going to back up to it daily.. Then it'll mirror to Google and Blackblaze and a local nas, and a remote server. All our important, must restore within hours stuff will be backed up to Acronis... but it's 20 cents per GB, which is crazy expensive.

Ransomware sucks. I've had 2 nights of formatting and reinstalling PC's to fix the issue... Everytime the owner asks "Why do they do it when its so easy to recover from?" Told him its not easy... But if you have the right backup strategy, and right people working on it...you can get by with minimum downtime. The hospitals my sister works at for instance has 8 PB of data - Theyre all backed up to tape drives... but if the hospital every got ransomwared (Which happens) They need to be back up instantly. They spend hundreds of thousands yearly on their backup solution,

[edit] And for the previous version thing - I let the software handle that. Google doesn't see what data it is because its encrypted - When I need to restore, I click a button on the nas and it'll pull the right files from google and restore to the date I tell it to. But again, it's a little slow because pulling thousands of files from google sucks. It's a great backup, but nothing beats having a local backup. I'm going to pretty much mirror the server on a system no one has access / rights to... Then if / when we ever get hit again, or a HD failure happens... Just re-direct the DNS To the secondary device while getting the first up... Zero downtime. A bit costly, but the first time we got hacked we were down for a day - 12 production people and 10 office people not being able to work for 1 day = massive costs, spending a few thousands on a backup solution to ensure zero downtime is pennies considering.

yetti320

Warranties and support packages? What kind of support and warranty do you need. Where do you buy your computer? Micro Center, Best Buy or Egghead. Those are preloaded computers for the home. If you do the research on what you want Dell is fine. I've never had a problem in the years ive been doing this.
Yes multiple backups are important carbonite for one. I said get a second internal hard drive for your data only not the programs. If you decide to upgrade windows or any programs your data is safe. If you get a virus from your email your data is safe. If you want to get a faster c drive replace your programs only . If you have been doing this for a little while customer jobs, fonts, artwork, quick books cannot be replaced. Multiple backups are necessary.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
the number of hard drives has NOTHING to do with the likelyhood of a hard drive going bad
hard drives are like lightbulbs, it's just a question of WHEN they will fail, not if & most of the time there is no warning, JUST A CLICK

setup a good, reliable backup solution & please don't tell me about the $0.99 a TB backup solution you found. this is a good thing to spend a couple bucks on

when one of our clients (who was too smart to pay for backup) calls and says "what do i do now?" this is what i send him bacl

View attachment 162674

it wouldn't take long to redo ALL YOUR WORK, would it?

Well if it was in RAID 1 with 2 drives, then yeah it'll have redundancy.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Ram won't make a difference, cpu will though.

Onyx is limited by HD / cpu above all else. Most licences do 2 rips at a time, I have 4 and my ram never goes past 8 gb

I run onyx on a 5800x, I rarely have to wait on rip to finish

I should have been more clear. how much difference was the 5950x vs 7950x with onyx.

But i see you use the 5800x

Id be interested with the 5800x3d for onyx. unless you're running 8 or more RIPs with onyx, 16 cores is useless.

ikarasu

I should have been more clear. how much difference was the 5950x vs 7950x with onyx.

Id be interested with the 5800x3d for onyx. unless you're running 8 or more RIPs with onyx, 16 cores is useless.
It's marginally faster. For ripping you want a faster single core performance... I believe the 7950x is 7-10% faster single core than the 5950x. They both excel in multi core... If it's just a rip station Intel is a bit better for onyx since it beats and on single core performance.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Only here.

Casey is awesome, high end sign / design computers, lifetime support, answers calls and returns them quickly if he’s busy. Not like talking to oversea broken English support after being put on hold.

Highly recommend them.

victor bogdanov

the 7950x is about 10-20% faster than the 5950x in benchmarks I've done, I'm sure it would be around that much faster in Onyx boosting close to 6ghz on 4 cores running 4 rips.

But its rare that I have to wait on the rip, by the time I'm done setting the printer up everything is ripped. My files usually take around a minute to rip (big mural panels)

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
What type computer do mist use? Since we are using multiple software programs at the same time. Would a gaming desktop be a good choice?
We use only Windows PC's and have every OS from 98 to Win 11. The key is really lots of RAM, 32GB really and a great NVDIA graphics card. My graphics card alone was over $500. These are the only two things that matter. Macs are no better than PC's these days if you have the right stuff in your PC.