• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer type

gnubler

Drives me nuts when I receive 1.5GB files from a 3rd party just to find out it's a simple layout but because it was designed all in photoshop at full scale and 300dpi.
Especially when they try to email it, or have no idea how to get it off their phone.

gnubler

What specs/terminology do I need to look for on a system that can handle 2-3 monitors? Graphic cards? Some of the units I'm looking at online don't have an image of the back of the tower and don't mention anything about multi-monitor support.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
1.5GB for a 12x16" monochrome print. 300p/cm, rather than 300ppi, as a 16bit RGB file.
What specs/terminology do I need to look for on a system that can handle 2-3 monitors?
3x display port on the graphics card will do, and there's normally an HDMI port as well, if you're looking to use an existing monitor.

gnubler

Going on three weeks of new computer hell, which all started when my purchase on New Egg triggered a fraud alert from my bank. Numerous phone calls, two trips to the bank, online chat, and the transaction finally went through...TWICE. Duplicate order for the same unit, so I'm now dealing with a return/refund and fighting a restocking fee. Held hostage by UPS for three days, "Your package is scheduled for delivery today" never shows up, missing other appointments by waiting around. I know it's the absolute worst time of year for shipping so let it slide. Package finally arrives, realized I need Display Port adapters for the monitors, no stores within 100 miles of me so...another online order. Have now discovered the adapters were sent USPS...I don't get mail delivery at my shop, all gets forwarded to PO Box, takes more time. New computer and monitors sitting untouched for over a week now while my old computer is crippled, hard drive completely full, been dumping files/folders just to keep running.

Sucks being me.

Stacey K

I like making signs
My shop doesn't have mail either, I have a PO box - been there, done that and it sucks!

For the computer - can you grab an external hard drive and dump all the files on there then delete from your computer and defragment? That's what I did and my computer has been running well. Not sure if it pays since it's the weekend now.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Going on three weeks of new computer hell, which all started when my purchase on New Egg triggered a fraud alert from my bank. Numerous phone calls, two trips to the bank, online chat, and the transaction finally went through...TWICE. Duplicate order for the same unit, so I'm now dealing with a return/refund and fighting a restocking fee. Held hostage by UPS for three days, "Your package is scheduled for delivery today" never shows up, missing other appointments by waiting around. I know it's the absolute worst time of year for shipping so let it slide. Package finally arrives, realized I need Display Port adapters for the monitors, no stores within 100 miles of me so...another online order. Have now discovered the adapters were sent USPS...I don't get mail delivery at my shop, all gets forwarded to PO Box, takes more time. New computer and monitors sitting untouched for over a week now while my old computer is crippled, hard drive completely full, been dumping files/folders just to keep running.

Sucks being me.
If you don't have an external drive to move files onto to get extra space, there are plenty of cloud services that have free accounts you could use to temporarily move files to until you're back up and running. Even if you have to sign up for a couple of them, it should give you enough storage to get through the transition for nothing. Just move everything back to your computer when you're done and cancel your account if you don't think you'll ever use it anymore. If you need a lot of space to backup all your files until you get your new system up, you can get 2tb with Dropbox for like $12 a month, I think they have a 30 day trial, take it for a month and cancel. With 2tb you should be able to back up all the files on your failing system you don't want to lose till you get the new one up.

Johnny Best

You don't even have a BestBuy within a 100 miles? Your lucky to have internet service. Probably faster to get tractor parts than for the computer.

Goatshaver

I'm waiting on my new machine to come in. Tight on space here so I'm on a laptop, which one thing I noticed is most don't have ethernet ports. Does anyone use a USB to RJ45 adapter for the connections? Just curious how that works for people. have never used USB connection since I heard it's less reliable than an ethernet connection.

Luckily some workstation laptops still can be configured with an ethernet port. Got a Thinkpad P16S with a 12th Gen Intel i7-1280P, 32GB RAM, 1 TB HDD and supposedly the screens are Xrite calibrated from the factory. (Not sure how accurate they are since I don't have the EYE-One spectro to calibrate.) My current Lenovo Thinkpad has treated me well over the last 3-4 years and it's ready to be retired from work.

gnubler

You don't even have a BestBuy within a 100 miles?
Why do you hate me so much? I didn't think it was logical to spend $50 in fuel and lose half a day of work for a stinkin' adapter. Last time I ran down there to get something they claimed to have in stock, they DIDN'T. That was a drinking day.

Moving from 250Gb to 2Tb is going to resolve a lot of headaches for me.

DL Signs

I'm waiting on my new machine to come in. Tight on space here so I'm on a laptop, which one thing I noticed is most don't have ethernet ports. Does anyone use a USB to RJ45 adapter for the connections? Just curious how that works for people. have never used USB connection since I heard it's less reliable than an ethernet connection.

Luckily some workstation laptops still can be configured with an ethernet port. Got a Thinkpad P16S with a 12th Gen Intel i7-1280P, 32GB RAM, 1 TB HDD and supposedly the screens are Xrite calibrated from the factory. (Not sure how accurate they are since I don't have the EYE-One spectro to calibrate.) My current Lenovo Thinkpad has treated me well over the last 3-4 years and it's ready to be retired from work.
I've used the USB to LAN adapters. Even the $20 ones handle 1gb, they're economical, easy, plug & play... Not really a downside to em'.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Once you have 2 monitors, you will realize you actually need 3...like me. 4 would give me whiplash but 3 is perfect.
I now have four 27" monitors running on a fantastic NVDIA graphics card. Its been great to for me. I also have another separate computer with a 36" screen on my side credenza for the security cams and to watch CNBC all day.

gnubler

Sounds like what the Musk/Zuckerberg gang probably does...just lounge around all day with hookers & blow observing the antics of the proles beneath them.

DL Signs

I now have four 27" monitors running on a fantastic NVDIA graphics card. Its been great to for me. I also have another separate computer with a 36" screen on my side credenza for the security cams and to watch CNBC all day.
I want to trade in my multiple monitors for this, the Samsung Odyssey Ark monitor... It's a curved 55 inch, you can run it horizontal or vertical, horizontal you can have it as one big monitor, or split the screen into multiple monitors, I think max is four 27" equivalent. Vertical you can split it into three separate screens. But I'm not sure I'm ready to pay the price.

Attachments

• F14_Multi_View_PC.jpg
    F14_Multi_View_PC.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 64
  • samsung-odyssey-ark-hands-on.jpg
    samsung-odyssey-ark-hands-on.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 65

gnubler

k_graham

the number of hard drives has NOTHING to do with the likelyhood of a hard drive going bad
hard drives are like lightbulbs, it's just a question of WHEN they will fail, not if & most of the time there is no warning, JUST A CLICK

setup a good, reliable backup solution & please don't tell me about the $0.99 a TB backup solution you found. this is a good thing to spend a couple bucks on

when one of our clients (who was too smart to pay for backup) calls and says "what do i do now?" this is what i send him bacl

View attachment 162674 .

it wouldn't take long to redo ALL YOUR WORK, would it?
I have 2 preferences for backup for Windows or from my Linux RAID software from Contribs.org .
1. Data files only - Winrar on the workstation, but you can set it up as a DOS type batch file so at night, 1 click and it zips it up into a rar file(s) and you can have it add info which adds a further 1 or more percent size but allows it to restore even if there is a bad sector, but not too many. Restores even have correct Read, Write permissions when unzipped unlike say a straight copy to a DVD that is Read only. We were using 5 year warranted western digital Black drives and after a couple or so years as in computer server mirrored drives then use them as nightly backups in a removeable SATA docking station. So we have backup finished by morning, another in vehicle and a couple older ones at home. .

2. For Windows C: drive backup of programs and operating system - Macrium Backup (you can even Google Macrium Free Edition and legally use it for business. I suspect they get you when you want to restore to a different computer, or you just want the additional options such as confirmation or failure of backup by email. One thing though, it will backup to a larger than 2 Terabyte drive but I found to do a restore it must be frome a 2 terabyte drive or less so if you are keeping multiple backups on a larger drive you must remember to move the backup to a smaller drive for the restore and of course that would suggest keeping your SSD drive with programs and operating system on a 2 Terabyte drive or less which so far is pretty likely .

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
View attachment 163142

Hey, that looks like my dads home office. Before zoom was even a thing.

gnubler

The HDMI to Display Port adapters I ordered 10 days ago are evidently lost in transit, decided to suck it up and made the journey yesterday to Best Buy (100 mile r/t) where I got two overpriced cords that I hoped would solve my problems. Was looking forward to spending today (Christmas) getting the new computer set up, installing apps, copying files, etc. My excitement ended approximately 10 seconds after finally getting the monitors connected when I unpackaged the power cord for the tower and saw right away that the socket wasn't compatible with the outlets here...it's a 250V power cord that I believe is used in the UK or Asia. WTF are they sending this out with US orders? This is when I started laughing like Steve Martin in Planes Trains & Automobiles, with one thing after another, and then his rental car catches on fire and there's nothing left to do but laugh...or kill.

This saga is into its third week now and is literally taking down my business. Last time I'm ever ordering anything from New Egg, this isn't supposed to be so hard. In the specs of my tower online it says "Power supply 250W". I'm attaching an image of what the supplied power cord looks like - does anyone know if it's ok to swap it out with a standard 3 prong 120V cord? I did some internet research and can't find a concrete answer...either it'll be "fine", or it won't be enough to power the computer, or it won't be able to handle the voltage from the computer and may fry or catch fire. I contacted New Egg but it'll probably be a few days before I hear back, and I don't trust them at this point.

victor bogdanov

The HDMI to Display Port adapters I ordered 10 days ago are evidently lost in transit, decided to suck it up and made the journey yesterday to Best Buy (100 mile r/t) where I got two overpriced cords that I hoped would solve my problems. Was looking forward to spending today (Christmas) getting the new computer set up, installing apps, copying files, etc. My excitement ended approximately 10 seconds after finally getting the monitors connected when I unpackaged the power cord for the tower and saw right away that the socket wasn't compatible with the outlets here...it's a 250V power cord that I believe is used in the UK or Asia. WTF are they sending this out with US orders? This is when I started laughing like Steve Martin in Planes Trains & Automobiles, with one thing after another, and then his rental car catches on fire and there's nothing left to do but laugh...or kill.

This saga is into its third week now and is literally taking down my business. Last time I'm ever ordering anything from New Egg, this isn't supposed to be so hard. In the specs of my tower online it says "Power supply 250W". I'm attaching an image of what the supplied power cord looks like - does anyone know if it's ok to swap it out with a standard 3 prong 120V cord? I did some internet research and can't find a concrete answer...either it'll be "fine", or it won't be enough to power the computer, or it won't be able to handle the voltage from the computer and may fry or catch fire. I contacted New Egg but it'll probably be a few days before I hear back, and I don't trust them at this point.

yes you can swap the cord, there will be a voltage selection switch on the power supply, make sure you set that to voltage that matches your outlet voltage

If your pc comes with a 250watt power supply you must have purchased a really cheap/crappy computer.

Post a link to the computer you purchased, its not a newegg problem that you didn't read description and purchased something you can't plug your monitors into