• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Copy right or trademark logos illegal

Justin

If I had a wide format printer I would print tigger in a chrysler, rightnow! LOL!

I don't know though.. If they did come after you for doing that visual800, whats your excuse? everyone else is doing it? :/

To what extent should we say its alright, and not alright?

I mean how does this guy get away with it - http://www.signsorcerer.com/Mickey+Mouse+Decals.21/ + they have a eBay store.

MatthewTimothy

I would have to ask the question, have you EVER....EVER in your carreer done anything copyrighted...ANYTHING!? The issue with these boards is we have all done some junk along the way but no one admits it.

Now Im not gonna go out a reproduce Tigger driving a Chrysler and sell it but if a customer4 wants brand logos on his stuff ill do it, i dont care. Hell Im just being honest.

I USED TO, till I really learned my lesson.

What happened??
I used Adobe CS3 pirated master collection till I had enough to buy it (early years). The day after I ordered it online my computer decided to do an update and found out it was a pirated key, deleted ALL my files and removed Adobe completely. I freaked, three days later I got the actual purchased master collection and went to install it, BUT Adobe installed a token key in my reg that indicated ALL applications I try to install that may be adobe to be considered pirated and deny install. It cost me a lot of time and money, BUT I learned my lesson and since havent used pirated gear. I wish this would have waited till after I bought the wrap collection (bad wrap) for what I paid though :ROFLMAO:

Justin

I USED TO, till I really learned my lesson.

What happened??
I used Adobe CS3 pirated master collection till I had enough to buy it (early years). The day after I ordered it online my computer decided to do an update and found out it was a pirated key, deleted ALL my files and removed Adobe completely. I freaked, three days later I got the actual purchased master collection and went to install it, BUT Adobe installed a token key in my reg that indicated ALL applications I try to install that may be adobe to be considered pirated and deny install. It cost me a lot of time and money, BUT I learned my lesson and since havent used pirated gear. I wish this would have waited till after I bought the wrap collection (bad wrap) for what I paid though :ROFLMAO:

You must not have researched enough because you could have gotten that removed in about 10 minutes without paying a dime. :p

visual800

If I had a wide format printer I would print tigger in a chrysler, rightnow! LOL!

I don't know though.. If they did come after you for doing that visual800, whats your excuse? everyone else is doing it? :/

To what extent should we say its alright, and not alright?

I mean how does this guy get away with it - http://www.signsorcerer.com/Mickey+Mouse+Decals.21/ + they have a eBay store.

My excuse? the customer said he had permission I suppose, sounds logical to me. But as i said the guy on ebay doing this, how the hell? Blatant right out there for the world to see and yet he does it and gets away with it. But im not goona go and turn people like that in because thats their problem not mine.

i just want everyone to be real and admit they have done it instead of all this fakeass bs answers.

Joe Diaz

I personally think having the mentality that you or someone else used to do it at one time, or a bunch of other people still do it today, so I should have the right to do it now, isn't the right way to look at it. I also personally think the fear of being sued isn't enough, because you will always have people who think they can just avoid being caught or that it is unlikely that they will get caught. I think people just need to realize that it's wrong, and until you have been on the receiving end, which I know some of have been, it's going to be difficult to understand that concept.

You know, the time and effort some people spend looking for loopholes could be spent just asking for permission or if need be pay for a licence to redistribute a copyrighted image. You would be surprised how easy it can be in some cases. But the point is these people/companies have a right to protect their brand and the rights to distribute it.

MatthewTimothy

I personally think having the mentality that you or someone else used to do it at one time, or a bunch of other people still do it today, so I should have the right to do it now, isn't the right way to look at it. I also personally think the fear of being sued isn't enough, because you will always have people who think they can just avoid being caught or that it is unlikely that they will get caught. I think people just need to realize that it's wrong, and until you have been on the receiving end, which I know some of have been, it's going to be difficult to understand that concept.

well said :goodpost:

Justin

I for one sent a email to Disney advising them of that seller. If they continue allowing that website & ebay store to sell those decals then I am going to print the email, their reply, and print/cut all I want. :D

WildWestDesigns

You know, the time and effort some people spend looking for loopholes could be spent just asking for permission or if need be pay for a licence to redistribute a copyrighted image. You would be surprised how easy it can be in some cases. But the point is these people/companies have a right to protect their brand and the rights to distribute it.

What really gets me is that the same rational that some people on here have for doing stuff like this (or just violating EULA contracts in general) is not any different then the rational that some of the clients that we complain about use.

the graphics co

ok...

customer: "hey can you make me this harley decal?"

shop: "not casue you don't have permission so i cant sell you one, BUT you can buy this 3" generic decal for twice the worth and i can give you this harley decal for free"

^immoral for copyright law purists... yes
legal? technically you can reproduce ANY artwork if it's for your own use or teaching purposes. and i THINK if you aren't selling it, but what about giving it away for free?

You are still selling the harley decal in that scenario, and if you try to convince them that you gave it away for free, refer to the poster above who gave a friend a decal for free and promptly received a cease and desist order from an attorney.

Technically, you cannot reproduce anything copyrighted for your personal use. If that were the case then everyone who gets caught for doing it could argue it was for personal use. Also, i could wrap my personal vehicle in any sports team or corporate branding that I wanted and say it is for personal use.

I am aware of colleges that employ people with the sole purpose of protecting and enforcing their licensing, copyrights, and brands, if people have unlicensed decals , magnets, or vehicle wraps, they are asked to remove them or they will not be allowed to stay on the campus grounds during games. In the case of the vehicle wrap they were allowed to stay for the game but unable to return until the wrap was off or replaced by an officially licensed company.

WildWestDesigns

You are still selling the harley decal in that scenario, and if you try to convince them that you gave it away for free, refer to the poster above who gave a friend a decal for free and promptly received a cease and desist order from an attorney.

Technically, you cannot reproduce anything copyrighted for your personal use. If that were the case then everyone who gets caught for doing it could argue it was for personal use. Also, i could wrap my personal vehicle in any sports team or corporate branding that I wanted and say it is for personal use.

I am aware of colleges that employ people with the sole purpose of protecting and enforcing their licensing, copyrights, and brands, if people have unlicensed decals , magnets, or vehicle wraps, they are asked to remove them or they will not be allowed to stay on the campus grounds during games. In the case of the vehicle wrap they were allowed to stay for the game but unable to return until the wrap was off or replaced by an officially licensed company.

I didn't even notice that one that you quoted.

Nate, in your instance even if you gave it away for free without them paying for anything, It's still a no-no. You caused damages to HD because they lost a sell period. Rather or not you received money is not material. You caused them to lose a sell, that's damages enough to get you into trouble.

RobbyMac

Clearly some people haven't had their work copied, or they wouldn't be doing it themselves.

We once had a guy come in for an interview. He showed his portfolio, which showcased a trailer I designed, and we produced/installed the decals.
Foot... meet mouth.

Marlene

if you are a professional, you need to know what the rules are for the industry, plain and simple. using the "all the other kids are doing it" never worked with mom & dad and it doesn't work in our world either. you don't own something, you don't sell it, you don't have a permit, you don't install it, you don't have a UL listed item when one is required, you don't sell it, you don't have a license to install/hook up electrical/or whatever you don't do it, you dig safe when digging, the list goes on and on, learn what you need to know and stop trying to get away with something.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes Joe, very well said.​

I know in the last 40 years, I personally have reproduced things I shouldn't have. I don't know what the laws were back in the 60's and 70's when I was starting out, but as I learned them, I didn't ignore them. One of my own motto-s was not to do things wrong if I knew better and not to repeat some of the mistakes I witnessed in some of the shops I worked in during my first 10 years. By 1982, I had most of the codes or laws figured out and played by the book.

Let's take visual's tire guy that wants Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear and Toyo......

Okay, so if you just spell the names like these above... you're fine, but if you use the various logos for each of these manufacturers, you are totally in the wrong, without any written permission from each manufacturer....to use it for this particular guy. Should you get written permission for this guy.... it does not mean you can use it for the guy in the next town over. Each case is its own deal.

Some people might not have a real co-op with the particular manufacturer... or the manufacturer might not want to be associated with this guy.

We have one, right now going on. I met with the man and woman, just this morning after looking at their sign last night. They have a sign that needs to be fixed. A truck going by hit the sign and ruined the corner of it and it needs some repairs, but some of the repairs involve using the 'Sunoco' logo. I have to get permission from Sunoco to mend the sign and Sunoco isn't going to give it to me. Seems Sunoco is dropping their lease with these people after having a station at this location for over 40 years. Sunoco wants to turn it into a Mini-Mart Sunoco and these people at their age don't want to spend the small fortune that will cost, so Sunoco is not renewing their franchise or the lease. So, I cannot legally put the name back on the sign. I also can’t make the sign say something else, so the sign has to just sit there, but Sunoco is telling them the sign has to be fixed in order not to harm anyone or thing should more of it fall off. Now, how does one get around this one ??

You’d think it’s just a matter of repairing, getting paid and good-bye, but it’s deeper than that.

If these people hadn’t been open and just told me to fix it and use some of the methods expressed here…. I’d get in a lota trouble.

Nope, part of being a sign manufacturer, fabricator or just small shop is knowing the laws…. what you can and cannot do or perform and presenting you and your business as professional and law abiding and not a bunch of rebels doing whatever they want.

• You do realize that the reason for so many laws is largely due to all the cowboys [and girls] doing whatever they want and making it harder for all of us that already follow the rules and laws.

So, knowing the law and thinking you can get away with it, just makes it that much harder to find you, but when the few are found…. they’re shown no pity… and rightfully so.

natedawg9640

Technically, you cannot reproduce anything copyrighted for your personal use.

That's false. I've heard it straight from a 30 year patent lawyer, and from chrysler's licensing department.

And regarding the whistle blower on the ebay decal seller. wow that's a dick move and a waste of your time. #1 whether they sell legally or illegally, it has no effect on you and there are enough corporate watchdogs out there doing their job without your help needed. #2 if they are licensed, you just wasted their time, Disney's time and your time. good job. if they have a long record of selling on ebay with no hassles from disney, they are either legal, or disney doesn't care cause ebay is about the fastest way to get busted slinging unlicensed stuff. Also, they can be buying from a licensed source and reselling. If anyhting, you could have just asked them. you're like a little kid on the playground tattling on someone else. "teacher! teacher!... someone else just hit someone else with a ball!" they might be playing dodgeball, or not, either way, id think you should have better things to do.

Justin

To be frank, I don't know any law that says you need to know about copyright/trademark laws to have a business.

The real problem I have with contacting these companies is that they won't give you permission to use their logo/character/whatever. I mean if they were more realistic in their expectations, and rules then I have no doubt that everyone would want to contact these companies to get permission, and be safe. These companies just aren't like that though.

I'm fishing here, but I'd bet.. let's say you contact Sunoco, and say I want to put your logo on my garage wall, and print it myself. They'd probably say sure you can do that, but it's going to cost you $500.00+ to use our logo. Seriously? Who in the heck wants to contact these companies, and be told that when it's better to do it, and the company not even know, or give a crap?

Seriously, I personally don't know how lenient Disney is, but if I contacted them and asked if I could print a picture of Cinderella to put on my wall 4ft tall I'd bet they'd say absolutely not. Why? No reason we just don't want you to. Sure, let the guy whose a cowboy, or rogue print it, and let his kid enjoy it, but because I am doing the right thing I can't let my kid enjoy it.. Screw that.

natedawg9640

So, knowing the law and thinking you can get away with it, just makes it that much harder to find you, but when the few are found…. they’re shown no pity… and rightfully so.

then you have the companies that get busted on a regular basis but just keep doing it. i know of a decent sized shirt company that screens thousands of unlicensed items. the fuzz comes in, takes all the computers, files, slashes the screens in the whole warehouse, confiscates the shirts deals out a fine and the company turns right back around a does it again. apparently it's a profitable situation regardless.

natedawg9640

To be frank, I don't know any law that says you need to know about copyright/trademark laws to have a business.

The real problem I have with contacting these companies is that they won't give you permission to use their logo/character/whatever. I mean if they were more realistic in their expectations, and rules then I have no doubt that everyone would want to contact these companies to get permission, and be safe. These companies just aren't like that though.

I'm fishing here, but I'd bet.. let's say you contact Sunoco, and say I want to put your logo on my garage wall, and print it myself. They'd probably say sure you can do that, but it's going to cost you $500.00+ to use our logo. Seriously? Who in the heck wants to contact these companies, and be told that when it's better to do it, and the company not even know, or give a crap?

Seriously, I personally don't know how lenient Disney is, but if I contacted them and asked if I could print a picture of Cinderella to put on my wall 4ft tall I'd bet they'd say absolutely not. Why? No reason we just don't want you to. Sure, let the guy whose a cowboy, or rogue print it, and let his kid enjoy it, but because I am doing the right thing I can't let my kid enjoy it.. Screw that.

from my understanding, in that situation, you CAN do it. and if you called disney and asked they'd say go right ahead. fair use. it's when you sell it that it becomes an issue.