• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cordless hammer drill recommendations?

Circleville Signs

Well, I've been putting it off for a while, but I've got a couple of jobs coming up out in the sticks, and I don't feel like lugging a generator out.

Gotta mount some frames to brick, then attach polymetal panels.

Anyone have recommendations on a cordless hammer drill and bit sets that will do the trick? I don't mind taking a few extra batteries out with me.

d fleming

I'm kinda partial to porter cable. I have a corded and cordless pc hammer drill. They are both workhorses. I also have a ton of ryobi cordless tools but the pc is my favorite.

J Hill Designs

I have a dewalt XRP with hammer - good for light hammer usage, but anything that needs some oomph I still bring out the hilti and generator or service truck for power

MikePro

go with Hilte, and you'll never be disappointed.

have had corded versions for years without hassle, and we just FINALLY picked up their cordless last winter. Our guys have been fighting over who's truck it stays in, so we're going to pickup another pair of em' soon enough :)

attachment.php

even used it to help do some work @ my buddy's bar. pop'd a series of 2" holes through 8" precast like butter. I think he's looking to buy one now too, just to have.

I also have the DeWalt cordless drill with hammer drilling option, but its just not the same. I feel like I'm burning out the drill everytime I try to use it for brick/concrete.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 117

Circleville Signs

That Hilti looks SICK, but I'm not in the mindset of dropping $800+ on a drill set at this point. Any other recommendations that won't cost more than $300 or so?

Locals Find!

That Hilti looks SICK, but I'm not in the mindset of dropping $800+ on a drill set at this point. Any other recommendations that won't cost more than $300 or so?

Hilti used to have a tool leasing program. I don't know if they still do or not. I used to lease all my Hilti tools when I was doing fire sprinklers. They would give us guys all 3 batteries and replacement batteries when we worn em out. They also serviced our tools for us twice a year. Leases ran about 3 years and cost us like $28 a month. Was nice because, the replacement batteries were $200 by themselves worth paying the little extra.

MikePro

maybe surf ebay? there's older versions, still brand-new, in your price range. looks like you just gotta shop the batterypack/charger for it:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 124

300mphGraphics

LOVE my Dewalt 20amp. Battery life is incredible and the drill runs great. 3000psi concrete, brick, block, works great and was right at $299 at Home Depot.

zmatalucci

Dewalt sucks...I bought one for an onsite job drilling some granite, and it was horrible! I ended up going home and getting my generator and hilti and blew through it in seconds.
I gave the dewalt to my neighbor for helping me out as it was fine for regular drilling.

Malkin

We love our cordless 18v Milwaukee hammer drill, lightweight and fairly powerful with having to get the generator out.

Hicalibersigns

I have been managing installation crews for over 30 years and have used them all. Hiltis are nice, but pricey. We have used DeWalt for the last several years and have been very satisfied. I have used many Bosch tools over the years and those have been very good too. My best advice is not to go for anything not a name brand. Stick with Bosch, DeWalt, Hilti (if you can afford it), but anything else you won't be able to get serviced and you won't be able to get things like replacement batteries. As far as the comment about the DeWalt VS the Hilti, my guess is that the Hilti is a much more powerful unit than the DeWalt. It's not the brand it's just that the DeWalt wasn't the correct tool for that particular job. Granite can be a female canine (profanity cops got me):notworthy:. Concrete is usually easy.

mudwart

I've been using a Dewalt 18v. I've got two batteries and rarely have to change out.
So far it works great for all the installations I do, but half the stuff here is EIFS, so i could probably do it with a butter knife and some plastic straws.

Locals Find!

No matter what brand you go with Dewalt, Bosch or Hilti. They all make different quality grades. Some of the stuff you find at home depot or lowes isn't going to be as high grade as the stuff the direct dealers sell to the trades.

My advice no matter what you go with is find a local dealer for whatever brand you decide on and let them help find you the best tool for the job. They usually can get you a better deal too while your at it. They also generally service them and warranty them much better. Lowes or Home Depot you get 30 days and your left with the manufacturer warranty which usually means sending it away to a service center across the country when you need something repaired and forget finding extra batteries at a decent price.

visual800

milwaukee 18volt 1/2" hammer. its a workhorse and with a set of new batteries behind it will get the job done. I also use bosch masonry bits they are the absolute best I have ever found, sometimes the bit matters more than the drill.