• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cordless hammer drill recommendations?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Never used a hilti. I have used a dewalt hammer drill and a I own one of these.

I ran a bunch of conduit for our machines last year. Like I said before, everything here (including the ceilings) is precast concrete. The first 5 holes with my hammer drill took longer than the next 50 with the SDS Rotary Hammer. That's not an exaggeration.

The funny thing is is that I didn't know what and SDS type bit was before a friend told me about it, so I was actually using one in my 1/2" chuck dewalt hammer driller. This proved to me that it's not just the bit.

I could not tell you why they work so much better, but they do. The Bulldog doesn't kick any more, in fact it's probably easier to hold than a hammer drill. You don't hardly have to push at all. The tool does all the work.

Ok, I'm done selling now. :clapping:

That's funny, because an SDS bit can be difficult to chuck up in a standard chuck...usually the chuck teeth will wind up in the grooves of the SDS bit and the bit will be off center.

The main difference between the SDS and hammer is the SDS has a piston that causes the hammering, the hammer drill uses more of a 'vibration' method.

fixtureman

I just did a display for DreBo drill bits and they make all the high end masonry bits They just stamp the name of the company on it IE Bosch, Hilti, Porter Cable, Hitachi, and Milwuakee. I had 2 of each for their display end they all were the same except the name on them.

ICeMAnAbk

I use a DeWALT 18v Hammer Drill at work, and I have one at home. At work, we drill through concrete a lot. However..... Im a big believer in you need the right tools for the job. I'm not drilling any huge holes at work, so half in bit tops and it takes a tad longer, is fine. The Hammer Drill from dewalt is awesome, plus practical for other uses (sanding wheels, wire brushing, drilling, screws, drill outs, tap outs, etc etc). If you do some serious work like some of the big guys here, I'd then buy something thats just for drilling hard materials, then by all means, spend the money and get the proper SDS Hammer and put the old hammer drill away.

Though, Get the right Masonry bits. I have IRWIN & milwaukee bits. IRWIN makes a hell of a good bit, and a lot of milwaukee stuff is very reliable and reasonably priced at times. You can have an awesome drill, but if your bits are ****, don't expect much. Remember this! The bits are just as, if not, more critical then the drill. Cheapy ones will break, or warp easily and make drilling holes hell.

Circleville Signs

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

For me - 1/2" hole is the biggest I'll ever need to drill. I don't do installs outside of flat panel and unlit stuff - and nothing I can't reach with a ladder (I have no bucket, and no intention of getting one). Sounds like Milwaukee or DeWalt will do the trick for me. Now, should I spring for the Rotary Hammer, or just stick with a hammer? Toughest thing I'll be drilling into is Brick or concrete/cinder block.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
That's funny, because an SDS bit can be difficult to chuck up in a standard chuck...usually the chuck teeth will wind up in the grooves of the SDS bit and the bit will be off center.

I didn't take me long to realize something wasn't right. You're right, it was hard to use and the chuck wouldn't stay tight.

I will NEVER use a hammerdrill again as long as I have access to an SDS drill.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

For me - 1/2" hole is the biggest I'll ever need to drill. I don't do installs outside of flat panel and unlit stuff - and nothing I can't reach with a ladder (I have no bucket, and no intention of getting one). Sounds like Milwaukee or DeWalt will do the trick for me. Now, should I spring for the Rotary Hammer, or just stick with a hammer? Toughest thing I'll be drilling into is Brick or concrete/cinder block.

Comparing the Milwaukee and the DeWalt, the Milwaukee has better numbers. If you don't already have cordless tools that the SDS would supplement, I would give that Milwaukee a try. Either tool will work well for you though.

1leonchen

a royobi sds cordless hammer drill plus a few batteries will work fine. batteries are cheap to replace sds series bits like Bosch bits are rock solid. drill hold up to abuse. royobi carries a Milwaukee core

1leonchen

You're 100% correct - it wouldn't do that great with that size hole.

My post was in relation to the Gary's original question. He's looking to mount framing. I doubt he's using 3/4" or 7/8" fasteners. I was simply suggesting a tool fit for his particular need, not suggesting it as the end-all-be-all, replaces all other SDS drills.

The cordless version isn't designed or meant for 3/4" or 7/8" holes. The DeWalt is recommended for up to ½" holes. The Hilti 22V cordless is recommended for just under ½" holes. Anything over that is getting into corded territory.

a simple solution is to pre bore hole with a 3/16 bit followed by a 1/2 inch and then a 3/4 if u have a under powered tool. just a suggestion no offense please.:cool1:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'm installing five regulatory signs tomorrow. Each is getting mounted with three ½" x 3" anchors into concrete. I'll be using the corded Hilti, but may shoot a video using the cordless DeWalt just to see how it does.