• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cordless hammer drill recommendations?

signage

milwaukee 18volt 1/2" hammer. its a workhorse and with a set of new batteries behind it will get the job done. I also use bosch masonry bits they are the absolute best I have ever found, sometimes the bit matters more than the drill.

Good point the better bits do make a big difference!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
going out to the sticks really doesn't describe the type of hole that you need.

that's what really matters, if you going through a "soft" material, then a dewalt hammer will do nicely, if your going through the mother of all bitches hard chit, then you should lug the generator or pony up for a cordless rotary hammer

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Get yourself an SDS Drill.

Something like this.

If you have never used a Rotary Hammer you NEEEEEEED to get one. Our entire shop is precast concrete. The difference between a Rotary SDS Hammer and a Hammer drill (nomatter what brand) is night and day.

SDS is the type of bit some of them use. I have found that for smaller holes (under 1/2") the SDS type is very convenient.

FS-Keith

Get yourself an SDS Drill.

Something like this.

If you have never used a Rotary Hammer you NEEEEEEED to get one. Our entire shop is precast concrete. The difference between a Rotary SDS Hammer and a Hammer drill (nomatter what brand) is night and day.

SDS is the type of bit some of them use. I have found that for smaller holes (under 1/2") the SDS type is very convenient.

thank you someone for making this point. Big difference between between a 18v dewalt hammer drill and a rotary hilti cordless. its night and day. For a corded drill I would say spend the 200 on the bosch bulldog and be done with it, but since you dont want to put a generator in your truck(dont you have a dedicated install truck yet?) I would spend the extra money and make sure you only have to go to the jobsite once, So buy the cordless hilti and never look back.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
huh, for short money, i got a Rigid. 18v. came from CPO outlets. two battieries, bag two chargers and the drill for less than 300 bucks. i beat THE LIVING out of it. it matches up to all my drills anyway.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Lots of opinions in here, but I think one guarantee/fact is that if you get an SDS rotary, NOT a hammer drill, you're going to be thrilled.

I have the new line of DeWalt 20V Max tools, including the hammer drill and the SDS and there's absolutely no comparison. The SDS blows the hammer drill out of the water.

One of the posters said DeWalt was garbage. That's a ridiculous statement. DeWalt makes some of the best tools on the market and I would put my cordless SDS against some of the corded versions - I'm that impressed with it. Another poster linked to it, but as I stated in my thread - I drilled upwards of 100 holes and barely needed more than one battery. And it drilled them fast.

Skip to the 4:00 mark in this video (click) and tell me how that's "garbage".

(oh, and grab some of DeWalt's "Rock Carbide" bits - they're great)

OlsonSigns601

We use a Dewalt Hammer Drill 18v. Not because its the best but because all of our tools are 18v

They all take the same battery so when we go out on a job we can take several batteries with us and we don't have to worry about which one uses which charger.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Try it with a 3/4 or 7/8 and see how long it lasts then.

You're 100% correct - it wouldn't do that great with that size hole.

My post was in relation to the Gary's original question. He's looking to mount framing. I doubt he's using 3/4" or 7/8" fasteners. I was simply suggesting a tool fit for his particular need, not suggesting it as the end-all-be-all, replaces all other SDS drills.

The cordless version isn't designed or meant for 3/4" or 7/8" holes. The DeWalt is recommended for up to ½" holes. The Hilti 22V cordless is recommended for just under ½" holes. Anything over that is getting into corded territory.

signage

I would like to know how many 1/2" holes it would drill on one battery. I would say you would be lucky to drill 5 with one charge.

OlsonSigns601

It all depends on what you are drilling into: Rock, Cement, Mortor are not only going to rip up a bit faster, but your battery as well.

We drilled into a rock not to long ago, 1 bit per drill and about 3 or 4 holes per battery with an 18v Dewalt.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I would like to know how many 1/2" holes it would drill on one battery. I would say you would be lucky to drill 5 with one charge.

Send me a ½" SDS DeWalt Rock Carbide bit and I'll video it. :)

Edit - just realized I have one...now I just need to find a decent place to drill. I'm not about to drill my driveway or sidewalk. :)

signage

Send me a ½" SDS DeWalt Rock Carbide bit and I'll video it. :)

Edit - just realized I have one...now I just need to find a decent place to drill. I'm not about to drill my driveway or sidewalk. :)

Next Time your in my area you can drill the holes for my install with your drill and bit:rolleyes::omg::tongue:

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Never used a hilti. I have used a dewalt hammer drill and a I own one of these.

I ran a bunch of conduit for our machines last year. Like I said before, everything here (including the ceilings) is precast concrete. The first 5 holes with my hammer drill took longer than the next 50 with the SDS Rotary Hammer. That's not an exaggeration.

The funny thing is is that I didn't know what and SDS type bit was before a friend told me about it, so I was actually using one in my 1/2" chuck dewalt hammer driller. This proved to me that it's not just the bit.

I could not tell you why they work so much better, but they do. The Bulldog doesn't kick any more, in fact it's probably easier to hold than a hammer drill. You don't hardly have to push at all. The tool does all the work.

Ok, I'm done selling now. :clapping: