• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Designer, Why is it not more popular, What am I missing

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Johnny Best said:
Wow Bobby H, that was a long informative read. Between you and Wild West there now is Signs101 snobbery on software.

If anything, I think the post I wrote above shows fairly clearly that it's silly for anyone to be an all-or-nothing fanboy of a given graphics program or operating system. Various applications and operating systems have dominated specific categories of the graphics industry only because they were in the right place offering something unique at the right time.

WildWestDesigns

If anything, I think the post I wrote above shows fairly clearly that it's silly for anyone to be an all-or-nothing fanboy of a given graphics program or operating system.

Never a fun thing when a post is thought differently then it's original intent.

Various applications and operating systems have dominated specific categories of the graphics industry only because they were in the right place offering something unique at the right time.

And I would say that times change that as well. Needs, situations change and people either need to roll with the punches are just accept their new lot in life.

Unlike this statement:

Wow Bobby H, that was a long informative read. Between you and Wild West there now is Signs101 snobbery on software.

I find odd since not only did I switch from a program that I was actually a very big fanboy of to not only a different program, but also a vastly different OS (one that I think even the Mac snobs would look down even further on then a Win based platform).

If anything, I'm always talking about alternatives and finding something else if one doesn't like where things are going with their software of choice.

When one switches to a different software and/or platform and really wants the switch to be successful (I knew people that tried to go to Win to Mac and didn't last 3 wks), it's amazing just how much one realizes the stereotypes really aren't as relative as they used to be. Sometimes not the case, but sometimes they are really off. Another reason why not to be such a fanboy to a particular software/platform. Need to be more adaptive then that.

Johnny Best

If anything, I think the post I wrote above shows fairly clearly that it's silly for anyone to be an all-or-nothing fanboy of a given graphics program or operating system. Various applications and operating systems have dominated specific categories of the graphics industry only because they were in the right place offering something unique at the right time.

I totally agree with you on topic, You get two cars of the exact makeup on a track and race, the winner will be determined by who is driving. it is just a long read and you and Wild get into the intricacies of software subjects.

Jim Hill

I am going to give Affinity Designer a try.

I have watched a number of their tutorials and thought I would try it. The price is only $49.99 so why not give it a try.
After 15 years of using CorelDraw maybe it's time for a change.

Jim

Sando

18 Years and Counting...
I haven't used Corel in a while. I actually learned on v3 in highschool before learning Illustrator in college. The only reason I stopped using it was the severe compatibility issues that were forefront about 10 years ago. It may have changed. All the agencies I work with did and do use Adobe products so I haven't had a reason to even have Corel on a machine in probably 6 or 7 years.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
if you want to piss everyone off use corel :D
Most of us using photoshop and illustrator. Most of the time you not gonna able to send out cdr files to no one because most people do not use corel.
To be honest it's hardly ever an issue but I just had a customer and they gave me corel files and it was a pain to deal with it. Fortunately I was able to use a trial version of corel and export everything with layers