• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X3 to X5 Upgrade or not

Joe Diaz

Joe,
TIFFs are the way to go, because everytime you export a JPEG and open it loses Resolution, TIFFs dont.

We do use tiffs for things like prints and other projects, I said that in the above post, but you don't use tiffs for webdesign, you would use jpegs and pngs.

Besides, every time you open a jpg it doesn't lose "resolution" or quality. Every time you open and edit then save a jpg it can lose quality (not necessarily resolution though). What happens is some image editors do compress jpgs when they are re saved.

Last edited:

Joe Diaz

I tend to like PNGs more for use on the web for it's transparency support mainly.

I do too, The only reasons I can think of to not use a png, is if you want compressed images or because some older browsers don't support pngs. Well I should say they do display pngs, but they don't display the transparency properties correctly. Instead you have a white box around your image. But we are talking old browsers here. SO yeah pngs.:thumb:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
File exchange is of little interest to me but there is one thing that would cause me to upgrade from X3 to X5 immediately.

In X3 when using the Drop Shadow tool, most often on larger images and/or when manipulating a drop shadow, the drop shadow suddenly displays as the drop shadow's bounding rectangle with a uniform transparency fill. In other words you get a big semi-transparent black rectangle on your image. Once it does this it usually stays that way even after saving and/or exporting the file, until acted upon by forces unknown to me.

The Corel support staff refuses to accept that this anomaly even exists. It does and it's annoying as all hell. I'd upgrade in a minute if I had assurance that it exists in X3 and is fixed in X5.

Techman

**beware**
Installing the x5 trial on the same machine you use another version (X3 or X4) will kill that old version when you uninstall the trial.
Backup all your settings, macros, templates, workspaces, and preferences.

I wonder why?
Thankfully
I had no problems with the trial in any way. I have never had a problem with any corel product interfering with another corel product.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
x6 should be coming out pretty soon, no? Maybe it's worth waiting for?

Historically Corel makes mostly cosmetic and minor user interface changes on even numbered versions. The more meaty functional extensions and changes seem to be in the odd numbered versions.

Sidelinemgr

Is there a version of Corel that you can use to cut out with on your plotter. I have X3 and cannot cut with it ,can you cut out with X5 ?

signage

sidelibemgr if your plotter has a windows driver it can be done with X3. If not you will need a bridge program.

idsignsil

I just upgraded from X3 to X5 In the middle of last week. I kept X3 on the machine just in case I had any problems. X5 ran good the few times I tried it last week. Today I came in early and deleted X3... now X5 runs even better. Everything loads quicker. It also did the update automatically with the new patch to fix the jpeg problem. I love the color management and everything about X5.

OldPaint

your doin something else wrong...its not a corel glicth. the driver for roland plotters from corel is the same from i would bet V.7 to X5. i been cutting from core since VERSION V.3.0)))))

Jillbeans

I deleted Corel 12 this morning and X5 still takes forever to load. The upgrade did help with the jpg exporting problem, though.

idsignsil

Jill, I am running Windows 7 64 bit with an Intel Core i5 with 16 GB of RAM and a 2 TB hard drive mirrored to another 2 TB drive. Everything runs pretty fast. Before this machine I was running Windows 2000 on a very old machine and everything was super slow. I could not have AI and Photoshop open at the same time, and then if I tried to open X3... look out.

WildWestDesigns

Jill, I am running Windows 7 64 bit with an Intel Core i5 with 16 GB of RAM and a 2 TB hard drive mirrored to another 2 TB drive. Everything runs pretty fast. Before this machine I was running Windows 2000 on a very old machine and everything was super slow. I could not have AI and Photoshop open at the same time, and then if I tried to open X3... look out.

I have to agree. Something else must be going on for x5 is still going slow. I have it on a SSD, 12GB of ram and it just books. I have the version that came off my Wilcom disk and haven't updated, but I also never had another version of Corel before x5.

Sidelinemgr

Thanks for your reply Signage :
I have a Vinyl Express Panther 24 in plotter I was trying to run Corel X3 on .I see the little space ship and all and have clicked on that and still no go. Thanks for all the help I can get with this .I have LXI 7.5 and running with that but was told that Corel worked better.

signage

The little space ship icon is an application launcher, ie: lanches a bridge program. When running a plotter straight from Corel you use the print command.

Techman

I have x3 and x5 on same machine ssd drive I7 64 bit with 8 gigs ram., It opens as fast as the mouse click. I have it on a regular old core duo and they open fast there as well.