• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5

Replicator

I would have thought by now they would have added the ability to pic an object on the screen and then

with the greatest of ease be able to change all objects with that color to something else, but NO !

Come on Corel . . . This is a basic work flow necessity !

weaselboogie

Find and replace? Been there since at least version 9.

select your object, edit> find and replace > find objects > find objects that current match current seleciton.

It's a bit hidden, but would be nice if it were more of a front end tool.

weaselboogie

There's also 'copy properties from'. That's a lot easier... just select everything that you would like to change and select edit > copy properties from. Then select the object that you would like to use those preferred properties from.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I use a macro for selecting same color same outline from macromonster.com. Works great 95% of the time.

Some of the locking up when saving or auto save are because of virus software. I read on the Corel forums that the last several versions use a form of .zip for the .cdr file type. Your virus software wants to scan those file types.

ChiknNutz

There's a much better one offered up at OberonPlace.com, which I think is a freebie. This is the one I use and like it a lot. I believe Alex is one of the Corel developers. He's got some other cool ones there too.

Techman

because of virus software.
Nortons and McAfee suits are bad,,, For some reason these suites cause mas mayhem for some machines.

However, I would mention that the undo levels are notorious for causing a crash.
Also, The undo levels are set high by default. 99 undo's are too high. uses up way too much memory and then you crash. The way undo works is that there is an exact copy of your graphic stored in memory of every step you take. It will not take long to fill it up.
Reduce the undo to around 20 and Corel will not crash any more..

Replicator

I get this every time I close the program too . . . !

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 84

Replicator

It would appear that after changing the undo levels back to a lower level and doing a computer reboot, the problem with crashing is fixed !

For now . . . . . . . . . .

MichaelAlmand

Yeah I bought it stupid me I call it Corel CrashDraw X5 I had to restart my computer 6 times yesterday because it crashed. I'm not dealing with huge files at all just a 18X24 sign and kept crashing, Once with the fonts, next to save, importing, and moveing a object. I am going back to X3 I guess I wasted $230 yesterday.

signmeup

Damn. I'm obsolete already. I just got X4. It has a few bugs in it too. The bevel thingy is a bit weird at times. Hasn't crashed yet though. It's also pretty fast on my old machine....no change from 12. Auto save is a bit slow but I sometimes forget to save so I leave it on.

David Wright

Tony Severenuk of Corel pointed out to me and a few others about the Nvidia software that is loaded at startup and possibly sits in your system tray as being a culprit for crashes.

It was for me, I just disabled it with msconfig and now no crashes.
I wish I knew this years ago. I have basically stopped using a software program called Vue d'esprit 3d rendering software. I would sometimes move an object and it would crash. This correction fixed that also.

Remember you aren't disabling the drivers and such just some configuration software.

David Wright

Go to start menu, run, type msconfig
Click on start up menu and uncheck anything relating to Nvidia.
Not sure which ones now, but something like nvid.exe
You can type the name of every process in google and it will take you to sites that explain what they do.