• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cost of Funerals!!!

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I went with my brother in law yesterday to help him arrange for my sister's memorial service. I was overwhelmed by what it costs to bury someone nowadays. He dropped over 11 grand for their "medium range" funeral. Fortunately, he had adequate insurance to pay for it. I long ago decided to be cremated as did my wife. One nice thing is I get to design the layout on my sister's headstone - which I also did for my mother (it's one of the nicest headstones in the cemetary). I'm going to save my kids a small fortune when it's time for me to go.

pisko

Well Arlo I do feel for you. I live in Canada and lost my Mother and Brother 26 days apart about 5 years ago. Dropped nearly $30,000.00 on 2 funerals. Was a real expensive month for us. Seems they have a captive audience. You get hit at your one of the most if not the most vulnurable time in your life and I do believe that some do take real advantage of people. As cruel as it sounds...in Canada if the body is not claimed the Goverment pays. No frills creamation. With the economic situration we are all in I can see more people going that route. We have a funeral director in town here that is under investigation for undesirable practices. I believe this month is when the cout case is set. Maybe that will shake the rest of the thieves up in this town.

Pat Whatley

Funeral salespeople rank below lawyers and used car salesmen in my book. They pray on people who are emotionally distraught. There's no logical reason for a funeral to cost over $1000.

Jillbeans

My plot has been bought for years, at that time it was $300 each.
Donating my organs.
I am NOT being laid out (barbaric)
or embalmed, just cremated and buried on top on my mom when the time comes.
The plot can be used for someone else in my huge family.
The cool thing is that I will be buried in my own backyard.
I grew up in front of a cemetery.
Who says you can't go home again?
I have $5K in life insurance, which hopefully will be enough to plant me.
And I want the family to have a big-ass huge honkin wake.
Love.....Jill

Marlene

One nice thing is I get to design the layout on my sister's headstone - which I also did for my mother (it's one of the nicest headstones in the cemetary).

that is wonderful that you get to personalize a loved one's headstone.

my parents died 11 weeks apart a few years back and both wanted to be cremated yet the cost yet the cost was still a good amount of money. I kind of agree with Pat as the funeral director is selling you something during a time when you are more apt to agree to most anything. the person I had do both my parent's services was pretty good as they are the place the whole family goes to when we need it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I went with my brother in law yesterday to help him arrange for my sister's memorial service. I was overwhelmed by what it costs to bury someone nowadays. He dropped over 11 grand for their "medium range" funeral. Fortunately, he had adequate insurance to pay for it. I long ago decided to be cremated as did my wife. One nice thing is I get to design the layout on my sister's headstone - which I also did for my mother (it's one of the nicest headstones in the cemetary). I'm going to save my kids a small fortune when it's time for me to go.

As cold as it may sound, you have to haggle with the mouth breathing bottom feeders down to the funeral home. Of course they're counting on you being distraught and assuming that everyone else around you shares your distress and that they somehow want to do right by you because you can't comprehend taking advantage of someone in your condition.

This is nonsense, these people exist to try to shake every nickel out of your jeans that they can. They care not a pinch of wombat snot for your troubles.

iSign

Jill.. a whole $5K in life insurance strikes me as hilarious for some reason... but I got nuttin' so now you got me thinking...

jiarby

I told my wife to drag me out to the curb on trash day. The city will figure out what to do with me.

GypsyGraphics

i think spending a boat load of money on a funeral (or even a wedding) is appalling!
it's one fring'n day out of your life. (or death in this case)

i told my husband i wanted to be buried in a zip lock baggy. if it bother people too terribly much, a costket (costco casket) might be ok. but i'd prefer a nice ziploc.

did you know just a few years ago costco didn't show funeral stuff on their site unless you searched it... now it's listed on the home page.

CheapVehicleWrap

Jill, are you serious about the 5k? That would hardly seem worth paying for...If you're going to carry it, I think you should investigate further.

d fleming

I've been working my but off the last week helping to organize a benefit concert for the families of two children who were killed in a boating accident in our community. When I was told how much the funeral expenses were, I couldn't believe it. Hopefully we'll raise enough $$$$ to help with some if not all.

SignManiac

Funerals don't have to be expensive.. When I got the phone call from a state trooper in Grand Isle, LA. That my father was killed in a car wreck, they asked what I wanted them to do? I said anything you want, I don't give a damn. So the cop said he would end up in potters field. I said, sounds good to me and good riddance. As far as I know, that's where they planted him. I'm not very emotional about death and such matters.

Marlene

We did a one day deal for my dad. Cremated him and rented the casket.

did the same for my dad as his mother and sister wanted to see him one last time and I wanted to make sure everyone got what they needed to mourn him. I guess it is more common than I thougth.

the whole point of a funeral is for the living to say good-by and to honor a life.