• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Craigslist - Your Opinion

Tone-Mark Creative

Old-School Sign Man living in the present
I recently placed a couple of for sale ads on Craigslist which I had never tried before and I'm curious about what experiences others may have had. I tried Craigslist because both items were too big to ship so I was looking for locals that could pick up.

My experience generated just three responses. One was entirely too easy and I'm pretty sure was someone trying to scam me. One would not discuss their interest in the item until they could "verify" my cell phone number... which they were not able to do, and one seemed legit but never followed up on my reply accepting their slightly discounted offer.

Is Craigslist something you find useful or is it a waste of time?

Fred,
Craigslist is where the rubber meets the road in humans trusting one another and playing fair and legitimate. If there is a high degree of symbiosis, (i.e. you really want what they are buying or vice versa) then it is pretty much slam dunk; meet up exchange cash for merchandise. You are selling something pretty large, but in the event you were not, sometimes I find it better to meet up in a central location as opposed to having someone come to my house/ shop I've never met. McDonald's is pretty neutral.

The problem most of the time is that unless you practically giving your item away you may not get many responses initially. If the equipment etc. is so esoteric in nature only a handful of people might ever even be looking for it. It may be necessary to post in two or three cycles. Instant gratification is not so much a factor unless as I said, you are practically giving it away.

It is important to pick the right category for your sale item. That being said, you are right in avoiding the obvious scammers, looking for you to slip and give up some important personal/ banking info, try to pass off a cashier's check, etc. Only take cash.

On the positive side, I have acquired many items as well as sold many items. But this is where it comes into human trust. There is no safety umbrella, as with eBay, Amazon, etc. If you buy something assuming the seller has your best interest at heart and it turns out to be a lemon, well that's just about it. You/ they are stuck with it. As with eBay, Reverb, etc. lots of pictures and lots of background about what you are selling tends to weed out scammers. Depending what I am selling, I have created little logos in SignLab Corel. and attach at the bottom corner to all photos; this ups the ante of your own credibility and scares off fly-by-nights.

Craigslist has taught me to sell/ buy defensively. It is like an electronic second hand store. And there is nothing like finding something you really want that someone else does not, and getting a good deal on it. It can be a win-win!

Attachments

• rand-tool-chest-wrench-chrm-blk-bgrd.png
    rand-tool-chest-wrench-chrm-blk-bgrd.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 70

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
:blondie: Thanks everyone for your feedback. I had one serious inquiry on a lawn mower and they bought it yesterday for slightly less than full asking price. The scammer on the Keencut Javelin never did send the cashier's check she said she would send after I told her that I would not accept any payment that included funds to be handed off to her "mover". One out of two ain't bad.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm surprised you're just now using CL for the first time... AND that you discovered scammers on the internet.

Never had the need and have been happy with selling used items of mine here at Signs 101 or on ebay. This is the first time I've offered out an item of this size and I'm looking for a buyer that can pickup. It's almost nine feet long.

Keencut 01.jpg

Keencut 05.jpg

Jburns

I try to included keywords in the description- picture frames, phoo framing, matte cutting, services, - may capture more of the users that use the tool.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I try to included keywords in the description- picture frames, phoo framing, matte cutting, services, - may capture more of the users that use the tool.

:guido: You mean like this:

Keencut Large Format Cutter

Keencut Javelin 102" precision cutter/trimmer for paper, photographic prints, posters, cardboard, fabrics and most plastics. Includes Keencut cutting table which holds the detachable Javelin 102" cutter, lifts it for material insertion and removal and greatly improves cutting efficiency and accuracy.

This is a great tool for wide format printers, sign shops, photographers and graphic artists etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have one 126". Absolutely love it. Use it just about everyday numerous times. We made our own table, but that table is pretty slick. :thumb:

edit: Fred, you should quit smoking................​

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We have one 126". Absolutely love it. Use it just about everyday numerous times. We made our own table, but that table is pretty slick. :thumb:

Yes, the Keencut table is great with its lifting mechanism and the slot for the blade to go down in. I made the top out of a couple of leftover White Wood cutoffs and printed some ruler decals so I can measure without marking on what I'm cutting and still get a square cut.

edit: Fred, you should quit smoking................

:pops_blinking: You should consider withholding smoking warnings because there's a strong possibility they can trigger negative events through the power of suggestion in some people.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hmmm...is this one of those "Where's Waldo" except "Where's Fred's cigarette?" I looked several times and I don't see anything that would suggest he is a smoker.

Val47

Yes, the Keencut table is great with its lifting mechanism and the slot for the blade to go down in. I made the top out of a couple of leftover White Wood cutoffs and printed some ruler decals so I can measure without marking on what I'm cutting and still get a square cut.

:pops_blinking: You should consider withholding smoking warnings because there's a strong possibility they can trigger negative events through the power of suggestion in some people.
o_O

Val47

Index finger has what appears to be nicotine stains on the tip of the fingernail.
I looked again, and I see the same stains on all fingernails... Maybe ink?

Lol, Sorry Fred. :oops:

Stacey K

I like making signs
Index finger has what appears to be nicotine stains on the tip of the fingernail.
I looked again, and I see the same stains on all fingernails... Maybe ink?

Lol, Sorry Fred. :oops:
Gotcha! LOL Good observation, I guess Gino doesn't miss anything! That entertained me for a few minutes, sorry Fred!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
edit: Fred, you should quit smoking................

Okay, whadafug did that mean ??

It shouldn't be too hard to follow. The power of suggestion is just that: POWERFUL. It's heavily used in advertising and, in many instances is quite effective. "Nobody can eat just one" is not just a double dare. It is also a highly effective suggestion that results in a lot of Lays potato chips being eaten. And suggestions are used by people in conversation regularly. But many don't stop to think that their suggestions can produce results that fall in the category of unintended consequences.

For example, one might say to another "You look tired" or "Are you okay? You don't look well." And before you know it that person does feel tired or doesn't feel well. Some people think that if you are fearful of some form of ill health, it stands a greater chance of becoming a reality. I don't know of any proof of this notion but, nonetheless, I consider it to very possibly be true ... at least some of the time and with some people.

So even though saying something like "cigarettes cause cancer" or "Fred you should quit smoking" is uttered with the best of intentions and as a display of caring, would you say it if you also knew that there was a possibility that doing so might contribute to the forming of an actual cancer?

That is what my reply to Gino was about.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahh....... I don't think so, Fred. I wasn't really so concerned for your health or well being of your mind, but if you're gonna do advertisements which include your hands, ya oughta clean 'em up first. As for all the other mumbo-jumbo, you just read wa-a-a-ay more into it and put your own spin on things.

That was not meant as an unsolicited health note towards anyone. Just an observation.

So, while you bring up things that could be true, none of it was revelant. :)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Ahh....... I don't think so, Fred. I wasn't really so concerned for your health or well being of your mind, but if you're gonna do advertisements which include your hands, ya oughta clean 'em up first. As for all the other mumbo-jumbo, you just read wa-a-a-ay more into it and put your own spin on things.

That was not meant as an unsolicited health note towards anyone. Just an observation.

So, while you bring up things that could be true, none of it was revelant. :)

I agree that my smoking habit of 71 years now has had some effect on the color of my nails. It is actually in my nails and doesn't wash off. I disagree that my pointing out the potential for harm from statements such as you made are not relevant. Just because you offered it with good intentions or as simply an observation does not relieve you of the responsibility for potential unintended consequences that may follow one day.

Believe it or not, I'm not attacking you or finding fault. I just want you and others to be aware that what is said to others is subject to the power of suggestion and should be considered before one says it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree that my smoking habit of 71 years now has had some effect on the color of my nails. It is actually in my nails and doesn't wash off. I disagree that my pointing out the potential for harm from statements such as you made are not relevant. Just because you offered it with good intentions or as simply an observation does not relieve you of the responsibility for potential unintended consequences that may follow one day.

Believe it or not, I'm not attacking you or finding fault. I just want you and others to be aware that what is said to others is subject to the power of suggestion and should be considered before one says it.

I understand. I just don't...... and won't accept responsibility for something which wasn't there or intended. We are all responsible for that which we do, have done or will do, but not by some hocus-pocus ESP. This new age of passing the blame has just gotten outta hand.

I merely said you should quit smoking. As you've pointed out, that could have several background meanings. However, not by me. Please, just take it in the meaning suggested and let it rest. Smoke for another 71 years if ya like. I'm not diagnosing you, whatsoever.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I understand. I just don't...... and won't accept responsibility for something which wasn't there or intended. We are all responsible for that which we do, have done or will do, but not by some hocus-pocus ESP. This new age of passing the blame has just gotten outta hand.

I merely said you should quit smoking. As you've pointed out, that could have several background meanings. However, not by me. Please, just take it in the meaning suggested and let it rest. Smoke for another 71 years if ya like. I'm not diagnosing you, whatsoever.

What you aren't getting is that your intent is not relevant. We are all responsible for our words and deeds whether or not we understand how others may be affected.

How can you respond with it being hocus-pocus and mumbo-jumbo? You are a professional influencer and deliverer of advertising that works every time you make a sign and using the power of suggestion is a key aspect of how one designs a sign to influence others positively towards your client.