Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critique requested

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by JTBoh, Feb 19, 2019.

1. JTBoh

JTBoh I sell signage and signage accessories.

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    Trying to work around their awkwardly titled neighborhood.
    An "outlook" in Florida is anything over 25 feet above the surrounding terrain. Or at least they think so.

I saw a letter that looked like a bird, so I made it a bird. Ah, design.

Specifically, I'd like to keep the "S" in the bird, and everything else is fair play, including BG color. Customer is looking for a S/S (or like) cut letter.

The parts that I want advice or critique on are the fonts, and the body of the bird.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    The 'u' doesn't look like it's the same as the rest. The swan is floating (no pun) and doesn't seem connected either way. I also think the swan needs a bit of work. Also, the colors are too subtle.

The idea is good and you have a nice start. Just fix up a few things and I think you're on your way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JTBoh

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    You were right - I had the "u" at 80%.
    Since it stainless, I'm thinking dark blue BG.
    Worked the swan over, tweaked the sizes and layout.
    I think it's there, but curious if anyone else has something to say.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ColoPrinthead

ColoPrinthead Swollen Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Donkeytown, Colorado
    I would work on the bottom hook of the S if you are keeping the bird, maybe make it a little larger/wider.

5. unclebun

unclebun Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Osage Beach, MO
    And, per Gino's comment about the swan just floating in midair, some kind of line(s) to represent a water level would also keep the work OUTLOOK from looking like it's not part of the sign.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I also don't like all caps with that font. The swan looks better, but it still needs more flowing feathers along with unc's waterline.

7. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

I'd use an actual swan silhouette and give everything a little more breathing room around the sign's perimeter as I've illustrated here. I like the use of the Tiffany font, my only gripe is I'm not sold on the k's with that little doohicky extending upward.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. jsmoritz2000

The all caps lettering would look better if it had a bit more weight added to it, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    really rough, but I would work on the swan, taller, smoother & fuller. And consider other fonts for the bottom line of text

Attached Files:

• 1b.jpg
      1b.jpg
      File size:
      204.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I like your swan better, the other one tools like a serpent. I agree, not to keen on the front, the serifs are too big and the k is weird...

11. I don't like the swan for the S, doesn't make any sense to me

lake susan.jpg

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  12. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    No no. This doesnt look good.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Use an actual swan silhouette and have the bird floating on a line or reverse panel that separates "Lake Susan" from "OUTLOOK." Choose another font for "OUTLOOK" and fix the "u" in "Susan".

14. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I like moritz's swan

• Like Like x 2
  15. jsmoritz2000

Thank you, Bill. I just wanted to illustrate that it could be done and it would still read well.

16. JTBoh

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Unfortunately, I cant have to big a horizontal - its a curved wall - so waterline is out.
    I tried to keep just the top contour of the swan in play, keeps it looking more like an "S" and less like a duck. The body is too much fill and off center for me.
    I wireframed the S and put a swan's head behind it for the shape of the head, bill, and upper neck.

This is going to go before a committee anyway - love HOAs - so doing a quick and dirty using the last one I posted with a few tweaks.
    If one of the 12x 68 year old retired people who will be having input on this yell at me about the feathers, I'll fix em lol.
    I chopped the knob on the K's, just call me Lorena.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I used a dumb font at the bottom on purpose, but you get the idea. Instead of a flat kinda sign, if the customer can't afford a relief sign, than make it appear to be a 'poor man's sandblasted' sign with such a nice setting. lake susan.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  18. jman

jman Member

Mar 26, 2015
    North East
    Green and tan style sign you have is what I see alot of around here. The one with the actual swan silhouette is my favorite one.

I always wondered how sign guys get the inset shape just right on the sign.

19. yor

yor Member

Feb 15, 2017
    LAVAL
    I think this swan design approaching would be a better solution in your case, since the resemblance to an S is more obvious.
    You just have to take inspiration from this image to do something similar.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. SheBeau

SheBeau Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    My two cents.. that the font should flow with the “S” and you need to utilize the upper arch area. Looks too heavy at the bottom.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4