• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Curious how you deal with this type of job

gabagoo

What printer do you have? We print on 3m 7725, laminate it with 8518 and can cut it really small. The plastic backer helps a lot with weeding.

7725 isn't a printable media...but our latex prints on it perfectly. Never tried a solvent so I can't vouch for that
Agree and I have printed on 7725 before. There is an issue with this type of vinyl and that is if the finished graphics sit to long, they will never come off the backing plastic...trust me I know!!! lol

Snydo

Very interested to know how this works...!
Hold the flap with your left thumb and forefinger, place the hole over the letter your plucking from, which holds down the rest of that letter. We have a recurring job that has a 1/8" tall Registered Trademark, a circle with an R in it.....on white reflective. Nearly impossible and not profitable until I came up with this contraption. Takes less than 5 seconds per R.

karst41

I have a good customer who has just changed their logo. It is 4 separate spot colours and needs to be digitally printed and die cut as they want no white background. Thats fine by me, but there is a line of copy in a block font ( thankfully) along the bottom that is very small. .29 of an inch high. The colour they are looking for has no regular pigmented vinyl choice from any supplier so I can't isolate that line and just strip it in later. I plan on printing on a cast with cast laminate but fear that the weeding of that one line beneath will be an absolute nightmare. They need 50 of them.

How do you go about dealing with these situations.

Print, Laminate, Cut and roll it up overnight. Roll up on a 3" core.
This lets the adhesive separate.

If I am reading you correctly you chief concern is a .29" block type such as Helvetica , and or similar. These are called Slab Fonts. Yeah we all feel the pain of that but if
You print on something like 3m IJ35 C and laminate with 8509 or 8519, it should not give you too bad a hassle and 50 is not that many.
Just make sure that your blade is set properly, and you will be weeding with a #11 exacto in hand. i, . ! , are going to fight the most. Letters like S need the left side pre pulled with the exacto. You will get into a rhythm and all of a sudden you are finished.
The key is fresh vinyl and laminate.

Hope this Helps

gabagoo

I just plan on printing about 15 extra troublesome lines of copy and strip the odd letters ones back in that fail.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
You can also heat the text with a heat gun and then it will shrink back as it cools. Setting it out in the summer sun works as well.

Also if you cut a bunch extra, play around with speed weeding. I think the vinyl senses your fear, so grab an edge and jerk it off like you don't care (135 deg angle). If it is cut well, you'll be surprised how well it works and it's fast.

JulieS

You can also heat the text with a heat gun and then it will shrink back as it cools. Setting it out in the summer sun works as well.

Also if you cut a bunch extra, play around with speed weeding. I think the vinyl senses your fear, so grab an edge and jerk it off like you don't care (135 deg angle). If it is cut well, you'll be surprised how well it works and it's fast.
I've always thought that too... the "the vinyl senses your fear." :-D

petepaz

Reverse weeding small text can be helpful. In other words, apply your transfer tape 1st, then weed.
we have done this with small text for office directories. it can be a pain but it does work.
weed all the big text but leave a box around that small line of text so you can weed it later. apply the app tape then flip it up and weed the small text....good luck

gabagoo

with normal vinyl I would agree but this will have laminate and is always much more difficult to weed. I am hoping this 3M 220 I ordered is a little older as usually it sticks very well to the backing paper