Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customer brings me artwork from another shop....

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Pat Whatley, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Customer just came in and pitched a fit because the sign I made for him is "wrong and costing him a fortune in lost business".

He brought me artwork, said a friend did it for him. Made his sign exactly like the layout he brought me and installed it on his building.

Turns out that the layout came from another shop and they'd put the wrong phone number on it and he never caught it. I'd copied it and sent him a proof, he didn't catch it that time either.

Now he's pitching another fit that I'm charging him to go fix it and wants me to get with the other shop to get them to pay for it. His actual quote to me when I told him I needed it paid for in advance was "Call SignsNow and y'all work that out." :ROFLMAO:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    what a maroon

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. He's apparently lost his mind. I'm guessing he must be like 30 or younger since he seems to be part of the generation that refuses to take responsibility for themselves. And before anyone gets offended, I'm 30 and I'm part of that generation. Most of us suck...of course, I'm the exception.

4. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Karma has a sense of humor at times :)

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Always someone trying to pass the buck.

I think you should just play Mr Niceguy and do it for free. Heck, you did everything correct so far and got paid for it, it's your turn to take a beating.............. :rolleyes:
    Any bets, that the other shop didn't pull this stunt on purpose, knowing the guy might do this ?? :omg:

I started doing this years ago, to make sure our hard-work didn't go unpaid. Usually when I write measurements down and calculations, I use close, but not correct ones, so when shopping around, it looks correct, but will get the other guy in trouble when things just don't mesh. In my own notes, I use the correct numbers and such. Doing it to a phone number though..... that's taking a chance someone will see it and fix it right away.
    :Oops: Ha, what a putz your guy is.

6. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Gino, thanks for the great idea! From now on I am going to fudge sizes just bit on layouts.

7. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Tell him to change his phone number.

8. Pat Whatley

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    I do that all the time when a customer wants measurements.

Usually when I have to do a layout and the customer hasn't given me the phone number I plug in our shop number, that was when I do the sign if I forget to change it I'm pretty sure to recognize the shop number and correct it. I'm guessing the other shop just plugged in a random number.

No way I'm doing it for free, it wasn't my fault. I'm not driving across town, climbing up the ladder, peeling off old numbers, cleaning adhesive, installing new numbers and driving back just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

9. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    SignsNow is going to get a good laugh at you and your customer who stole their artwork, when they find out what happened.

10. GWSigns

GWSigns Member

Jul 26, 2013
    My daughter who just turned 31 and I were having a discussion on this very issue last night.

She is about ready to take out a large percentage of her generation because of their lack of ownership for their responsibility.

She too is an exception to that rule, but then again she is like her mom and has never fit "in the box" and always took pride in traveling through life on a different tangent than the lemmings

11. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    SignsNow didn't have anything on the print to show they owned it?

12. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    me, on taking this call..

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    Ror

14. Pat Whatley

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Not a thing. Just a layout printed as "fit to page"

15. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I love it when customers have no freaking Idea who did their signs cause they prolly shopped all shops in the area now they are confused. I esspecially like it when I get calls to fix another F up another shop has done and Im the one that gets verbally punished. How come none of these people go back to the original shop to make then fix a F up!

16. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    Until the sign is fixed, when folks ask your "crappy" client about the mistake, you will get blamed......

17. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    HE won't have any one calling him so he cannot pass blame to any one..

18. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :ROFLMAO: that's so frickin' true !!

Meanwhile..... across town...........

Hello ??

No, this isn't Mickey's Tavern.

Click: zzzzzzz

Wonder who all these people are calling me all of a sudden ?? By the way, where's this popular place.... Mickey's Tavern ??

19. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    He needs to get the NSA to reroute his calls until he gets his real phone number up there.

20. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    all our clients must sign off on artwork with a clause that includes verbiage along the lines of... "please review and verify all text including phone names yadda yadda yadda... xyx corp is not responsible for any errors approved by client and is printed as per the clients approval. client agree to not hold xyz corp liable for any errors approved by client. blah blah blah.

this way the client is perfectly clear that it is their responsibility to ensure the accuracy of their job.

then from there if there is a gross error we usually try to work it out with the client for a nominal fee to cover expenses to correct the error.