• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer paid with a cashier check - wrong pay to the order

premiercolour

Merchant Member
A cashier check worth about $3,000 was meant to paid us via fedex COD. We send the print head, customer paid with a cashier check to the driver, driver send it back to us. Customer used a wrong name on a cashier check by accident or i don't know. We got the cashier check, verified the check with the bank customer had paid out of. Called customer in the first week; he said new cashier check will go out the same week. The check never came. Called the person who ordered the print head. Phone works; goes to voice mail after two seconds.

Called fedex to file a complain
Called the bank to complain. They said that they will contact the owner who made the cashier check. Can't help us.

We just can't cash the cashier check. Any similar situation or what would you do to retrieve the owe. We are about 1,000 miles apart.

**Customer was a repeat customer who bought about $2,000 worth of print heads from us before. No complains about the print head; just no pick up. Maybe suddenly he thinks that he would have a better use of that $3,000 after six month of a "cashier check" expired?

anotherdog

Gosh I get to say this twice today...
the best lessons are the most expensive.

He is winning all round...

Not theft because the cheque is evidence of the intention to pay, can't take it to court/collection until the cheque lapses...
We only trust municipalities and companies we do a LOT of business with the ability to send us a cheque. All others are by credit card before the goods walk out the door.

All you can do is be relentless in calling him and emailing.

Pat Whatley

What Techman said. Scribble the first line like an endorsement, then print your deposit info on the second line. My bank doesn't care what I deposit into my commercial account.

Of course if he's already gotten them to stop payment on the original cashier's check and he's gotten another one issued you might be in for a whole new mess.

Tim Aucoin

Same here. I believe it has to go through a holding period. But as long as no one disputes it or claims it the check is good. Then after the holding period it's yours.

Yep, that's the same here. Being in a franchise, we always get cheques with our name spelled wrong, or with the wrong address on it (another centre), but have no problems with a straight deposit. No one disputes it, no problem! I'd take this advice and just do it and get your money! :thumb:

This is how the scam works. They send you a $2000 dollar cashier check and ask you to cash it and send $1500 back to them. Right after you cash it they cancel it. Then you send them the cash and then the bank puts a hold on your account for the $2000 dollars that they gave you.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
I used to work for a bank.

This cashier is verified with the bank who made it over the phone.
A cashier check is endorsed by the bank. Fund is taken out of at time of transaction. Customer can't void a cashier check only passed a certain period of time or evidence of lost/damage check. I believe it is six months or so.

I'm going after FedEx now. Thanks for the advises. This same customer bought two Mimaki jv3 print head with us before. He sounded a nice older feller. I hope he's doing ok; not in bad health shape or things that he can't control of.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Yep, that's the same here. Being in a franchise, we always get cheques with our name spelled wrong, or with the wrong address on it (another centre), but have no problems with a straight deposit. No one disputes it, no problem! I'd take this advice and just do it and get your money! :thumb:

Only if the bank accepts it and back office didnt catch it. Front office just process, what really counts is the back office. Some banks let go with smaller amount, I doubt this one they will. Good point though.

eomedia

Only if the bank accepts it and back office didnt catch it. Front office just process, what really counts is the back office. Some banks let go with smaller amount, I doubt this one they will. Good point though.

That is correct. On lower amounts its unlikely much attention is paid. However, if someone catches it they will reject it. And that could be several business days later, even if you have already spent the money. And then you have transactions bouncing all over the place. The "Just Deposit It In the ATM" trick goes the same way. Are the odds in your favor, yes, but just because a teller or ATM accepts it doesn't mean that it will stay that way.

AzGene

Problem here is you used FedEx to collect your money. Nowadays if someone wants to pay by cashiers check it should be a red flag. If the money is in the bank why not use a debit card? On the rare occasion when we get a cashiers check it is sent directly to us and we call the issuing bank to verify authenticity. Previous to that we qualify the customer as to their authenticity. We never ship COD.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Good points guys -

This commodify is not a sonic cd player or iphone 4s. It is print head for sign printers. We first have to verified the company email, check location with phone number left from the customers. Ask them about the machine types, the problems are etec. He knows sign then it is lesser chance it is an out of no where frauds. Most of the sign guys i dealt with are awesome, cool people, especially from signs101.

This customer had two previous business transactions with us paid with cashier checks within six months. In the event happened, we re-checked with the bank, those two checks were fine. This is a higher end print head, Xaar XJ500/40-UV, not typical sign companies would purchase. With above information, i guess they aren't just enough. I am coming after fedex. I hope we can get compensation some how. Especially the bank is doing nothing. They just don't want troubles.

Mosh

I will send you a check for 1,000 banners that say "GOD BLESS" btw I will take care of the shipping...

Who sends checks, CREDIT CARD on all accounts you do not know! Duh.

DazzaBling

I really feel like this is FedEx's error here and they should be in on this.

I worked for FedEx and our drivers were basically responsible for the amount nothing else.
When you have 100+ stops with over 100+ packages along with pick-ups. CODS are PITA's, it slows down the route because the driver can't simply release the package they must call ahead to make sure the money is ready. So, as long as the amount matches what is on the package and the pick up sheet that's what matters.

If FedEx takes any responsibility, I would be very surprised.

I would take all the tips that have been given and try your best to get it cashed. I would try another branch . If it doesn't work, simply send a certified letter and then get a lawyer.