• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

customer wants .pdf what would you do?

Techman

Every where except the sign bizz.. You do not own the rights to the art. You own the rights to use that art for specific usages.

We were given specific rights through the copyright laws as creators of visual graphic displays. Call it art or call it a sign. It is of no consequence to the law. There are hundreds of graphic arts companies around doing all kinds of artsy fartsy work that would never consider letting a client have full unabated rights to anything they produce. Why should a sign maker give up his / her rights simply because of an attitude or a feeling?. our work is worth thousands yet some let a client walk away with it for a couple of hundred at most.

IE:
I just bought a really nice 3D vector art file. The owner will make thousands from it as he continues to sell that piece. I can use it to make other objects but I do not own the rights to it in any shape or from. I bought vinyl clip art. I can use that art for other displays but do not own it to do what I please with it.

Same with my clients. They have the right to use my product.. But do not own it. I do not care one iota about who paid for what. That is totally irrelevant.

As for the fear of pissing off a client. Totally misplaced. Are you pissed off when Fred says you can use his clipart for a display but you cannot bundle it and sell it?
We are allowing the negative thought patterns to permeate our businesses by our own lack of value in what we do. they are gaining the upper hand by our default. Those who give away their art because they feel it is owned by the client because he paid for it does nothing to enforce our rights as copyright holders. The laws say,, we own that art regardless of what the client may think.

Put your policies into your bizz plan and on your paper work. Grow some gonads and stick to your bizz plan. Any other definition shows a lack of confidence in your position as well as a lack of knowledge to the facts and of the laws made to protect us.

andy

We were given specific rights through the copyright laws as creators of visual graphic displays. Call it art or call it a sign. It is of no consequence to the law. There are hundreds of graphic arts companies around doing all kinds of artsy fartsy work that would never consider letting a client have full unabated rights to anything they produce. Why should a sign maker give up his / her rights simply because of an attitude or a feeling?. our work is worth thousands yet some let a client walk away with it for a couple of hundred at most.

If we're honest at least 60% of the modern sign trade couldn't design their way out of a damp paper bag. Establishing an implicit value to creative sign design is made a lot harder when there is so much dross sold as "professionally designed" product.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
put a JPG in a PDF file and send.

Anytime anyone wants a pdf, I do this, set image to 50 dpi and rgb (text and all).

If they want to pay the file transfer fee then I'm completely down with sending them final artwork ... though ... not many people want to pay the $300-$1k.

Logo's and letterhead jobs are different, I have a final artwork fee already built into those job specs.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
If we're honest at least 60% of the modern sign trade couldn't design their way out of a damp paper bag. Establishing an implicit value to creative sign design is made a lot harder when there is so much dross sold as "professionally designed" product.

I would say 75% at least. But the implicit value is not in the design, but in the fact that the file is then a product that is easily reproduced if it leaves your system. ... You are in effect giving the customer away to another person. Now, I tell any of my customers, that I can not stop them from taking my designs to another shop, but the art will not be 100% the same, and they may have to pay ANOTHER art fee for that work. That is why I charge for my files on my system, to do differently would only encourage inefficient business techniques. ... I also don't give them print outs of the proofs unless heavily waterstamped and of not perfect resolution same with other pdfs ... but that is the nature of the business now.

Smacka

Reminds me of a situation we are going through right now. An existing customer (not the most trustworthy) asked us to wrap a 20' trailer. Being an existing customer we did not ask for a deposit as the design process to printing was only two days. After telling us he liked the design, he took our design proofs and shopped them around for a better price. When we were ready to pick up the trailer he said "lets hold off on the wrap, I got a better price". Now he refuses to pay for the design time and had the other company duplicate our design EXACTLY! Moral of the story... Give them NOTHING unless you get a deposit!!!

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Reminds me of a situation we are going through right now. An existing customer (not the most trustworthy) asked us to wrap a 20' trailer. Being an existing customer we did not ask for a deposit as the design process to printing was only two days. After telling us he liked the design, he took our design proofs and shopped them around for a better price. When we were ready to pick up the trailer he said "lets hold off on the wrap, I got a better price". Now he refuses to pay for the design time and had the other company duplicate our design EXACTLY! Moral of the story... Give them NOTHING unless you get a deposit!!!

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Smacka

Don't get me wrong, It's not like I am going to let him KEEP the design on the trailer. I am not THAT nice. Just saying...Trust no one. In God we trust, all others pay cash!