• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customers: can't have you cake and eat it to

axis

nice.. i clicked the link and avg found a threat.:thumb:

Interesting. I'm running Opera with Avast! anti-virus and didn't pick up a thing. I suppose you could just google Colin Harman. He has a website where he posts his design work, including this piece, and sell prints.

It's also interesting that we're all (rightly) indignant when someone pirates our work but when something makes it's way around the web and it's funny and appropriate and we want one in our reception area, so we go ahead and make one. Without giving a thought to who designed it and if it's ok with them that we're stealing their product.

I'm not trying to sound righteous, because MY first thought was "Cool, I'm going to print one of those out...". But having spent some time yesterday on the copyright thread I had a little OMG moment. Because that's how easy it is to steal and not even think twice about it.

axis

If the link is tainted it should probably be deleted. Does a mod have to do it or can I?

I figured it out.

Last edited:

anotherdog

Norton 360 says clean.

Is there a difference if you remade it and began selling them rather than just have it up on your wall?

Was this basic idea his or copied from an even earlier one?

Can you copyright an idea? This goes back to how much of a design can you copy before it becomes theft.

Who has the copyright of putting text in circles anyway?

Time to get the tar and feathers out. We will pick a victim as soon as someone makes up my mind.

ucmj22

Heres the one I made..... SHHHhhhhhhhhhhh..... heres the link to my editable pdf.
its big, so be patient. 19X27@300

you'll have to fix the alignment on the subhead yourself :p

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 11.58.09 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 11.58.09 AM.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 57

ForgeInc

I too am surprised so many of you are OK with completely ripping off someone's artwork and "re-doing" it for your own benefit. Especially if the guy sells prints of said artwork on his own?

Personally I have downloaded a cool info-graphic on the web and printed it exactly as-is, but it clearly wasn't our design as it had the designers name on it and he had told folks in the forum it was OK to download and print as long as it wasn't used professionally.

Something about downloading a cool design someone has spent time on, then completely re-building it and slightly changing fonts, etc. kinda rubs me the wrong way. Just my humble $.02.

ucmj22

I too am surprised so many of you are OK with completely ripping off someone's artwork and "re-doing" it for your own benefit. Especially if the guy sells prints of said artwork on his own?

Personally I have downloaded a cool info-graphic on the web and printed it exactly as-is, but it clearly wasn't our design as it had the designers name on it and he had told folks in the forum it was OK to download and print as long as it wasn't used professionally.

Something about downloading a cool design someone has spent time on, then completely re-building it and slightly changing fonts, etc. kinda rubs me the wrong way. Just my humble $.02.

I checked the link earlier that was posted and now is gone, and I didnt see anyway to purchase a print. from what I read, he or she was just showing an Idea they had one night.

ForgeInc

I checked the link earlier that was posted and now is gone, and I didnt see anyway to purchase a print. from what I read, he or she was just showing an Idea they had one night.

Cmon...really? took me 5 seconds to find this:

http://society6.com/colinharman

So...is it still OK to recreate his art and print out versions for yourself, knowing he is selling them on his own site?

axis

Just wondering

@anotherdog

Here's your response to gypsygraphics post on the "20% change" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGraphics
there is NO percentage that you are allowed STEAL!
even to create derivative work, you must permission from the copyright owner of the original work.

i wonder... does a person who thinks they can do that, also think they could rob a bank... and explain to a judge how they only stole 80% of the banks money, and therefore aren't really guilt of robbery?

If you can see any of the original design, its a steal.

So if it happens to you it's a crime, if it happens to someone else it's "Oh, well, what's new under the sun? I mean it's type and a shape on a board, what's original about that?"
How can we expect clients to adhere to a standard that we choose to ignore when it's convenient? Interestingly there were a lot of replies to this guy's post and almost all of them were from other designers wanting to know if they could buy one of the prints.

ForgeInc

@anotherdog

Here's your response to gypsygraphics post on the "20% change" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGraphics
there is NO percentage that you are allowed STEAL!
even to create derivative work, you must permission from the copyright owner of the original work.

i wonder... does a person who thinks they can do that, also think they could rob a bank... and explain to a judge how they only stole 80% of the banks money, and therefore aren't really guilt of robbery?

If you can see any of the original design, its a steal.

So if it happens to you it's a crime, if it happens to someone else it's "Oh, well, what's new under the sun? I mean it's type and a shape on a board, what's original about that?"
How can we expect clients to adhere to a standard that we choose to ignore when it's convenient? Interestingly there were a lot of replies to this guy's post and almost all of them were from other designers wanting to know if they could buy one of the prints.

Agreed, this thread got me riled up...I find it amazing many in here freak out if someone god forbid prints a harley logo or disney character sticker for a customer, but when some random designer creates a work that gets passed around the internets, (AND sells prints of said work) suddenly it's OK to print said design or even worse in my mind..completely re-create and bastardize the design yourself?

ucmj22

Agreed, this thread got me riled up...I find it amazing many in here freak out if someone god forbid prints a harley logo or disney character sticker for a customer, but when some random designer creates a work that gets passed around the internets, (AND sells prints of said work) suddenly it's OK to print said design or even worse in my mind..completely re-create and bastardize the design yourself?

Let's not confuse copyrite or trademark infringement with what was going on in this thread.

1: I didn't realize it was for sale, when I did, I removed the link

2: I, and I hope no one else here, had no intent to resell and make money off someone else.

3: look I appreciate simplicity in design, but this wasn't exactly an epiphany of artwork. By far the most compelling piece of this is the use of a venn diagram as a presentation. If I had found it with black stroked circles and no background in a textbook would you still be crying?

4: call it bastardization if you want, but quite frankly it wasn't the finished type of piece I'd put on a wall. So I made it more to my taste.

5: get off your high horse, I'm tired of stepping in your pies.

showcase 66

At the time this thread was originally posted, he did not have prints available to purchase. Not saying it is okay to recreate the design. Just sayin.