• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customers: can't have you cake and eat it to

ForgeInc

3: look I appreciate simplicity in design, but this wasn't exactly an epiphany of artwork. By far the most compelling piece of this is the use of a venn diagram as a presentation. If I had found it with black stroked circles and no background in a textbook would you still be crying?

4: call it bastardization if you want, but quite frankly it wasn't the finished type of piece I'd put on a wall. So I made it more to my taste.

Not crying, just pointing out the fact that many here complain about copyright infringement and customers bringing in logos and other graphics they want printed for their truck or whatever and how wrong that is, for some reason many think this instance is OK, and go so far as to post how they have re-created the file and in your case even given a download link.

You can make the argument the design is simple and would it be OK had it been a black stroke, with no background etc. but that's simply not the case and you know it. Otherwise, why in the heck would you go through the trouble of re-doing it? Why would anyone have even posted it at all if there was no artistic merit, simple or otherwise?

...and as for you making it more "your taste" your taste is in your mouth if you think that hunk a crap you posted is in any way better than what you ripped off.

You can try and justify it all you want or you can just admit what you did is wrong, apologize and move on for chrissakes. Or better yet, maybe there are some more crowdsourcing design projects you can spend time on. Wait..I seem to recall you were the one crying when everyone chimed in on that thread, my bad.

(For everyone else, sorry for the rant but I wasn't about to sit and get drug through the mud after that post, and I don't even like horses.)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Youtube (TM) screencap used without permission under the editorial fair use clause......

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• thread-crash.jpg
    thread-crash.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 66

ucmj22

Not crying, just pointing out the fact that many here complain about copyright infringement and customers bringing in logos and other graphics they want printed for their truck or whatever and how wrong that is, for some reason many think this instance is OK, and go so far as to post how they have re-created the file and in your case even given a download link.

You can make the argument the design is simple and would it be OK had it been a black stroke, with no background etc. but that's simply not the case and you know it. Otherwise, why in the heck would you go through the trouble of re-doing it? Why would anyone have even posted it at all if there was no artistic merit, simple or otherwise?

...and as for you making it more "your taste" your taste is in your mouth if you think that hunk a crap you posted is in any way better than what you ripped off.

You can try and justify it all you want or you can just admit what you did is wrong, apologize and move on for chrissakes. Or better yet, maybe there are some more crowdsourcing design projects you can spend time on. Wait..I seem to recall you were the one crying when everyone chimed in on that thread, my bad.

(For everyone else, sorry for the rant but I wasn't about to sit and get drug through the mud after that post, and I don't even like horses.)

It is better... And I you don't think so, it shows your lack of taste not mine.

Really, this somehow transgressed in to the crowd sourcing thread? I stand by my decision on that too. Every one was giving me a hard time for contributing a solid 45 min of my life to try and win a macbookpro. If some company wants to give me 1700 bucks for spending the same amount of time it takes me to take a solid dump on making them a logo, then who's the idiot. I was nt the one crying, everyone else was.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It is better... And I you don't think so, it shows your lack of taste not mine.

Really, this somehow transgressed in to the crowd sourcing thread? I stand by my decision on that too. Every one was giving me a hard time for contributing a solid 45 min of my life to try and win a macbookpro. If some company wants to give me 1700 bucks for spending the same amount of time it takes me to take a solid dump on making them a logo, then who's the idiot. I was nt the one crying, everyone else was.

You should see a doctor......

axis

First, let me say that my point here was not to single out or beat up on anyone. We've all done something like this at one time or another (or most of us). But because I'm having to deal with an infringement issue right now I'm a little sensitized. I've been reading various posts here about copying and design theft and how these pirates are the lowest of the low. Imagine my surprise when I open another thread and here we are getting a chuckle out of one of us mucking around with someone else's work. I realize there was no criminal intent here. It's just that if a noob or someone from outside the industry read this, what would they take from it? We can't be our own worst enemy. We have to walk the talk, just sayin'

BTW, in his blog Harman also defends/explains the placement of the verbage in the diagram

TXFB.INS

always amazing how the simplest of topics, usually turn into a word feud and completely derails the entire OP.

back to the feuding

anotherdog

@anotherdog

Here's your response to gypsygraphics post on the "20% change" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGraphics
there is NO percentage that you are allowed STEAL!
even to create derivative work, you must permission from the copyright owner of the original work.

i wonder... does a person who thinks they can do that, also think they could rob a bank... and explain to a judge how they only stole 80% of the banks money, and therefore aren't really guilt of robbery?

If you can see any of the original design, its a steal.

So if it happens to you it's a crime, if it happens to someone else it's "Oh, well, what's new under the sun? I mean it's type and a shape on a board, what's original about that?"
How can we expect clients to adhere to a standard that we choose to ignore when it's convenient? Interestingly there were a lot of replies to this guy's post and almost all of them were from other designers wanting to know if they could buy one of the prints.

I was being a little tongue in cheek with this, there is now way not to copy or "steal" elements of designs that someone else has already created.
Our (and I assume we are all human here) Brains are designed to copy and reuse on a massive scale without thinking. Its how we go from drooling baby to graphic designer in only a few years.

Copy away its human nature!*

(*not sure if that defence will stand up in court)