• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting down stickers

TomK

You can actually buy a second blade holder so you can do kiss/perf cuts all in 1 sweep. Of course it's like $600... I was considering getting one, but I really want a Summa for the Tangential option, and roll to roll. I have an older FC8000 at work... been waiting for it to die so I can talk them into getting a Summa.
Do you have a link to this? I'd consider adding it to my Graphtec just so it gets some use!

ikarasu

Do you have a link to this? I'd consider adding it to my Graphtec just so it gets some use!
Graphtec Vinyl Cutter Cutting Plotter
Scroll down to accessories. It's called second pen holder. I did some research when I saw it.. I'm not 100% sure you can buy it separately, I did ask our tech if they could order it in and install it when he was visiting in an unrelated matter, he said yes but I didn't follow up with him.

Seems like something they should just include with their models. It's be awesome not having to switch blades, and I imagine it costs them a whole $2 to make the part.

ikarasu

Googling "graphtec second pen option" has a few online stores that sell it actually. If you do get it, let me know how if it's worth it. Seems like it would be...but I got them to put a summa in the budget for next year, so with a summa I'm not sure speeding $900 Canadian for a second pen option would be worth it.

TomK

Googling "graphtec second pen option" has a few online stores that sell it actually. If you do get it, let me know how if it's worth it. Seems like it would be...but I got them to put a summa in the budget for next year, so with a summa I'm not sure speeding $900 Canadian for a second pen option would be worth it.
Will do! Emailed my grimco rep to find out.

TomK

So my guy talked to Graphtec today, no go with the dual blade holder...that is designed for pens and said it won't work with another blade in it.

That being said, they did say some customers have had success running contour cuts and perf cuts on the Graphtec in the open channel with the blade in position 3. This will allow for a contour/kiss cut and a perf cut without having to move the blade and reload the media.

I won't have a chance to try this for a couple of weeks, if you give it a try ikarasu, let me know how it works out.

ikarasu

So my guy talked to Graphtec today, no go with the dual blade holder...that is designed for pens and said it won't work with another blade in it.

That being said, they did say some customers have had success running contour cuts and perf cuts on the Graphtec in the open channel with the blade in position 3. This will allow for a contour/kiss cut and a perf cut without having to move the blade and reload the media.

I won't have a chance to try this for a couple of weeks, if you give it a try ikarasu, let me know how it works out.

That's kind of stupid... And a missed opportunity. Why make it only work with a pen?! I could of sworn I saw a video of someone using it to cut, and the whole point of it was so you don't have to switch blades... I'll have to find the video.

Sounds like it's easier just to get a summa! I'm on a stay at home vacation for 3 weeks, so I don't think I'll get to test it. I do have a graphtec at home, not sure if I'll find time to do some decals though... If I do I'll let you know.

You'd think having the blade out long enough to do a perf cut would cause the kiss cut to not be accurate... But who knows. Maybe I'll throw on some vinyl, put it in the channel and see if it does some squares / circle cuts ok. If it does then it should work.

TomK

You don't have to switch blades- but you do move the blade to position 3 for Perf and half cuts. Position 1 is over the cutting strip. Position 3 is the same toolholder, just 1/2 inch more forward, and it cuts in the channel so your strip doesn't get damaged.

Picture
FC8000 series:Imaging products:Graphtec Corporation
Yea, that's what we've been talking about, which is a pain in the ass, having to move the holder, reload media, and resend the job.

Bigcat_hunter

Hi everyone!
just wondering everyone's technics on cutting down square and rectangle stickers. Right now I use a blade and ruler. Is there any machines that can cut down printed stickers into squares or rectangles?

Thanks
We have two of the Royal Sovereign electric trimmers and cut tens of thousands of stickers each year. Those electric trimmers are invaluable to us but also total pieces of crap. If you get one buy the extra warranty. You will use it. Stupid expensive for something that is continually falling apart. I suppose we could buy the hand trimmers but I don't think we could keep up.

bannertime

oops - sorry - I didn't know you had to reload media.

You don't. They just don't know how to setup the file properly. I send files all the time with cut and perf cut at the same time. Set the order in the rip and send it. It cuts the contour cut, it beeps, I move the blade to pos 3, hit enter and it perf cuts.

Bugley1

Hey Bugley1 what Mimaki are you using? A print/cut or their cutters?

Is the half-cut/perf cut done on the same job, or do you have to do contour cuts, move the blade, and then half-cut, like you do on the Graphtec? On my Summa, it does it all on one job (contour/perf cut) which is what I dislike about the Graphtec. As you know on the Graphtec, you have to do your contour cuts, move the blade to the other position, and then send the job again - which slows things down big time for me.

I'm asking because I am considering a CJV150 from Mimaki, and curious how they do the perf cuts.

Thanks!

I have a stand alone Mimaki CGFX Cutter and a Graphtec, yes you have to change the blad position but if i am doing perf and kiss cut i kiss cut everything 1st then run through the perf cut after so its not back and fourth with changing the blade back and fourth. Also i bought a cheap blade holder on eBay so i have a "perf cut" holder and a regular vinyl cutting holder so I don't have to actually take the blade out or mess with depths. I have narrowed down materials i use so i know what works 3M products are usually no problem with perf cut laminated or not

Bugley1

On your summa... Doesn't it cut the blade strip up a lot doing full cuts on it?

We change our graphtec cutting strip maybe once every 2-3 years. And that's perf cutting thousands of decals per month... 20-30,00 in some months.

A sales rep tried to sell us on the summa, when we voiced our concern about the strip getting chewed up since there's no channel... His reply was the strips are cheap. Which may be the case... But I dread changing the graphtec strip.

Do you require changing yours much?
Perf Cut in the Forward blade position in the channel not on the strip i have a 8600 never changed the strip. On the Mimaki there is a sponge in the front position for the half cut

TomK

I have a stand alone Mimaki CGFX Cutter and a Graphtec, yes you have to change the blad position but if i am doing perf and kiss cut i kiss cut everything 1st then run through the perf cut after so its not back and fourth with changing the blade back and fourth. Also i bought a cheap blade holder on eBay so i have a "perf cut" holder and a regular vinyl cutting holder so I don't have to actually take the blade out or mess with depths. I have narrowed down materials i use so i know what works 3M products are usually no problem with perf cut laminated or not
Bugley1 thanks for the info, such a simple idea too! I'm going to grab another blade holder and try this out.

Also going to try and kiss cut and perf cut from option 3 too and see if I can get that working.

kanini

Summa F series flatbed cutter. Throw the roll at it and go drink a cup of coffee, come back later and put the finished labels in a box - ship to customer and on to the next job. Oh, and you can cut rigid media too! =)
Before we got that machine we used a rotary cutter all the time, perf cut is difficult to set up compared to the benefit in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Bly

Yep flatbed cutter is the best way.
We did flexcut on our Summa a couple of times but it was slow and took too long to set up for different media.
We usually used a Neolt trimmer until the ProCut.

TomK

Yep flatbed cutter is the best way.
We did flexcut on our Summa a couple of times but it was slow and took too long to set up for different media.
We usually used a Neolt trimmer until the ProCut.
What is the procut? You hand trim all of your decals/stickers??

TomK

It's a Zund rebranded by Oce.
No we don't hand trim anything now.
Nearly everything we do gets cut on it.
Oh wow, another flatbed cutter! Those probably cost more then we make doing this hobby sticker/decal stuff in a year!

phototec

This is how I do it, hope it helps someone else....

This may sound like it is in the wrong thread but it gets to the point.... I promise! lol

When I built my layout table (12'x6'), I used 4'x8 sheets of MDO plywood with a white melamine skin. On the edges of the plywood, I used a router set to a depth of appx 1/8" and put 12 gauge stainless steel angle on the edges. This allowed the stainless angle to be flush with the rest of the sheet. I butted the panels up but left appx. 1/16" between the panels for a knife blade. On the bottom side of the table, I mounted a strip of bright white LED's. This allows light to shine through this small gap and shows a nice sharp bright line through your material. This gap is so handy for cutting material and eliminates about 90% of any reason to be cutting material on your table top. (since melamine is pretty vulnerable to blades). I also made a sliding straight edge with a ruler glued to the top of it and a simple clamp.

With this setup, I am able to, very quickly and accurately, cut stickers to a consistent size with nice professional looking straight, square edges. Also very nice for cutting banners down to the hem lines and the light even shines through 18oz banner stock (without blockout)

There are cutters, guillotine shears and all kinds of other fancy equipment designed for this but sometimes the simplest setups are just as good as anything.

I attached the plans I put together for my carpenter that built my table. Like I said, I hope it is something that helps someone even if it is just a starting point to something that fits your needs specifically.

attachment.php
Nice idea but you have attached a very low-resolution image and I can't read the text. Can you upload something that we can read? Thanks